Granite or something else for Kitchen worktop?

Found 3rd Mar 2010
I'm getting a new kitchen, all planned out, and need to make a decision on work tops.

If you have granite what is your opinion on it?

Do you have a suggestion of a work surface?

Key elements are durability (don't want wood) - want to be able to put a hot pan down on it straight from the hob. Easy to clean and look as "good as new" - I know this may be hard with granite unless I buff it! (would get a light granite so think this maybe easier than if I got a dark black granite)

Any opinions/advice considered. I really want to get this right!

1. Misc
  2. Kitchen
5 Comments

We have Black Granite and when its clean and polished it looks fabulous, but it marks soo easy and I find myself wiping it down all the time. I have found that a microfibre cloth is great for wiping over as it polishes at the same time, so they save loads of time. It is very durable and does not scratch or chip at all, so I would always go with granite but maybe choose a lighter colour.

If you do go with Granite, get yourself some microfibre cloths and you wont go wrong :thumbsup:

Get granite but don't get black granite. This is because over time you will get small scratches in it causing it to become dull. I have experienced this myself so have first hand experience. Now i have beige granite with red streaks running through it (would take a picture but not at home atm) and it looks alot better and scratches don't show up as much.

HTH

Original Poster

KazzyD;8008048

We have Black Granite and when its clean and polished it looks fabulous, … We have Black Granite and when its clean and polished it looks fabulous, but it marks soo easy and I find myself wiping it down all the time. I have found that a microfibre cloth is great for wiping over as it polishes at the same time, so they save loads of time. It is very durable and does not scratch or chip at all, so I would always go with granite but maybe choose a lighter colour.If you do go with Granite, get yourself some microfibre cloths and you wont go wrong :thumbsup:

krazie2004;8008143

Get granite but don't get black granite. This is because over time you … Get granite but don't get black granite. This is because over time you will get small scratches in it causing it to become dull. I have experienced this myself so have first hand experience. Now i have beige granite with red streaks running through it (would take a picture but not at home atm) and it looks alot better and scratches don't show up as much.That's great, thanks for the replies. I had heard that about the black granite - looks fab but lots of work to keep it looking good - and as I'd be doing all the cooking and cleaning, that doesn't sound much fun :roll:I have been looking at the lighter creamy/brown granite colours and I like them. We are having a part oak, part painted kitchen and I think the lighter colours will suit best.What about corian or other surfaces, anyone any experience with those?HTH

B&Q do speedstone solid surface which im guessing is same as corian. good thing about it is doesnt need buffing. they are all a dull finish, but they still look good and you dont see the joins in corners as they get sanded down and filled. i have only ever had laminate as i am a poor person, lol. i work in B&Q and from experience of customer reviews and cleaning displays and stuff i would definitely go for the solid surface. it is man mad version of granite and according to all the leaflets it is stronger and less likely to crack and stain. you also get the added bonus of having the sink moulded into the surface so no joins anywhere from grubbiness to get in! hth

Original Poster

lprangle21;8012357

B&Q do speedstone solid surface which im guessing is same as corian. good … B&Q do speedstone solid surface which im guessing is same as corian. good thing about it is doesnt need buffing. they are all a dull finish, but they still look good and you dont see the joins in corners as they get sanded down and filled. i have only ever had laminate as i am a poor person, lol. i work in B&Q and from experience of customer reviews and cleaning displays and stuff i would definitely go for the solid surface. it is man mad version of granite and according to all the leaflets it is stronger and less likely to crack and stain. you also get the added bonus of having the sink moulded into the surface so no joins anywhere from grubbiness to get in! hth

ooo sounds very interesting thanks, will def look into this
Post a comment
@
    Text