Groups

Graphics card advice?

Hi, I'd really appreciate some advice on replacing my 750ti. My current PC spec includes i5 2500k, 8gb Ram, 240gb ssd, standard 500w psu

My PC has been running fine for several years now and the 750ti was a good choice at the time due to its low power requirements and adequate gaming performance. I'd just really like to upgrade the gpu (without needing to change anything else) so that I can play the odd game on higher settings. I'd love to be able to play the latest games at 1080p 60fps but that might be beyond my budget. I recently tried out the latest forza demo and it was unplayable until the settings were reduced enough for it to look like a PS2 game!!
    The gtx 1060 sounds like an excellent card and doesn't appear to require much power and could probably slot into my existing system. It's just expensive at over £200 though...

17 Comments

does the psu have a 6 pin or 8 pin gpu cable ?

Original Poster

Muzzard

Thanks for the reply, I really don't know & will have to find out. Really not that clued up on this subject unfortunately. The 750ti was an easy install, just had to slot it in, it didn't require a power connector. I've never installed a card that required one...

1050ti. Great card with 4gb. Don't think it needs any PSU cables either. 1050 doesn't not sure about the ti model

RX 470 sounds like the card for you, it's usually £150-170 on sale, It does require a 6pin connector but if your PSU is 500w it should have one

having owned one up until recently, it was capable of playing everything on max settings in full hd.

They were pushing well over £250 for a factory oc'd model not long ago so to get any 6gb model for £200 is not expensive.

They are a great card and probably the best option in your example, well worth the money.

Either 1060 or RX 480 you can get the latter for £200 here.

Open it up and have a look. Most PSU's of that size usually have at least a 6 or 8 pin connector spare for the GPU. I'm running a 1060 on a 460W PSU no problems.

Do not get anything less than a 1060 or RX480.

I just got a 970 GTX (For £100 from a friend) to replace my 750ti and difference is massive, so RX480 would be my choice. the Nitro+ version.

Original Poster

Thanks guys, I would struggle to afford around £200 tbh. £100-150 would be manageable. Thoughts on 1050/1050ti? I generally prefer Nvidia but that's not a must, especially if there are better performing and better value Radeon cards. Really appreciate all the helpful advice

What about something like this? ebuyer.com/757…wcB

Agree the 1050ti is a great card but this price for performance would be much better. If you can stretch to the 480 though that's the way I'd go

Jas10

Thanks guys, I would struggle to afford around £200 tbh. £100-150 would b … Thanks guys, I would struggle to afford around £200 tbh. £100-150 would be manageable. Thoughts on 1050/1050ti? I generally prefer Nvidia but that's not a must, especially if there are better performing and better value Radeon cards. Really appreciate all the helpful advice

I would suggest having a look on eBay for an old Gtx 970 which are selling from 130-160. Their performance is on par with a 1060. Gtx 970 has been around for a couple of years and most are still within warranty. Modern graphics cards will most likely last for many years if looked after properly - until they become obsolete. Just make sure you take the normal precautions when buying on eBay. Many companies eg gigabyte and evga allows you to transfer warranties too. If you want new, the 1050ti is about 150 but performance is definitely much lower than the 480/1060/970.

Jas10

Thanks guys, I would struggle to afford around £200 tbh. £100-150 would b … Thanks guys, I would struggle to afford around £200 tbh. £100-150 would be manageable. Thoughts on 1050/1050ti? I generally prefer Nvidia but that's not a must, especially if there are better performing and better value Radeon cards. Really appreciate all the helpful advice

​Get a 1060 on Very. Think it works out £5 a week for the MSI Gaming version.

Original Poster

Quick update -
    Managed to get a minute to open up PC, been a while:

Looks like I've got a 650w PSU (not a recognised or rated brand though - Cit?) and a what looks like a 6 pin connector, 2 rows of 3 holes/ports? Will upload photos when I get a chance.

Original Poster

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd391/j_sgill/IMG_1243_zps37pf0j3j.jpg

Original Poster

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd391/j_sgill/IMG_1242_zpseq8yfdxe.jpg

Original Poster

Muzzard

Uploaded some photos, looks like a basic 650w psu with 6 pin cable.

That's a pretty generic no-name PSU. My 460W Dell PSU has more amperage on its 12V rails. Yes, that is a single 6 pin cable (mid right). For both GTX 1060 and RX 480 nearly all of them use a single 6 pin.

Original Poster

I guess I need a card that isn't power hungry but still provides a big leap in performance. Thinking of the 1050ti now, which doesn't seem to need a power connector and just draws power from the pci slot -just like the 750ti...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047163
      2. word association Game74044552
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767400
      4. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1527

See more discussions