Graphics card advice

Found 1st Aug
Hi. I have an old “small form factor” pc from Hp.
I believe it has dedicated graphics and is at least 3-4 years old.
But I would like to upgrade the graphics card to the best possible.
I know hp has a limited power supply and it can be tricky replacing it, so a low power one is probably needed as well as a daily small one.
But as many newer ones are so powerful, I was wondering what my options are for upgrading?
The full name on box is the HP Prodesk 400 g1 sff Core i5-4590 with 8gb ram.
Or would ram upgrade or ssd do more?
I want to be able to run 3d software more efficiently & maybe games but only hd (not higher) & wonder if this would allow for vr? Or out of the question?
Or should I just scrap it and go for newer one?
Any advice hugely appreciated.
Community Updates
AskGraphics Card
14 Comments
Your CPU is oculus's recommended CPU, so vr should be capable regarding cpu/ram.
I just messed around with a similar desktop, HP 280 g1 mt. I changed the power supply to a 450w (mine was 180w) and added a rx460. I had quick look at yours and it looks similar size. If you can confirm it's a ATX PSU (check YouTube) installing a new PSU is easy. And a single fan gtx 1050 or 1050 ti or Radeon equivalent would be fine .
Edited by: "RadiantDuck" 1st Aug
Also a note. This was my first time messing around with upgrades etc and it wasn't hard.
A GTX 1060 would do vr ok but you need to calculate for load.
It looks like the SFF version of the Prodrive 400 G1 has four half height (aka low profile) expansion slots so that would stop you using most cards. The best half height cards are around the 75W level, which was once top of the range but sadly in today's power hungry gaming market is lower mid-range. .

What sort of 3D software are you talking about? Blender, Maya or similar?
You need to get a low profile graphic card that isn't power hungry. Something like a GTX 1050 Ti.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 1st Aug
Thanks Tbi- I’m relieved to know as was nervous the cpu would be too old! Thanks too Rduck- would be my first time trying but if it’s not that hard- will def give it a try!thabks too K76- will aim for 1060- it’s. a real pain to figure out which one to go for so grateful for a recommendation! Software wanted for is auto desk (endless)and similar like revit or studio max- but sometimes rendering but mostly not - so think graphics card would be helpful- thanks too riverdragon- will look into power and go for that 1050 ti or 1060- really glad to have it narrowed down so thanks for all comments!! Enormously appreciated!!
Sorry to ask again- but i was set to order the 1050 ti mini 4gb but when checking on game debate- comparing the integrated hd 4600 vs the 1050 mini, I noticed the 1050 requires a 300w psu- but when checking the manual on hps website, they say the sff only has a 240w active pfc power supply- (whatever that is) on the other hand, the max power of the 1050 is 75w compared to the integrated market 88w- so presumably both wouldn’t be used st same time- so maybe less power is used?-also supposed to be high efficiency power supply-
I just wanted to check if anyone knows if the 1050 may risk me blowing something up if it doesn’t have enough power- don’t want to break everything!
Also found it is def i7 - either 4770 or 4790 if it makes a difference-
Sorry to ask again- hopefully someone knows?
That's a recommendation, not a requirement. The PSU powers all components, so those recommendations are typically for something like the most power hungry set of components you'd commonly see alongside that card.

The 88W thermal output is for the i7-4790 chip as a whole, which includes both CPU and GPU.

Power supply ratings are for their output power. Efficiency only affects how much power they draw from the mains to produce that output power.

The power supply should shut itself down gracefully if it's delivering more power than it likes, but this is a system with four expansion slots so you'd expect the PSU to have at least a 75W margin.
Thanks- so sounds ok to go for it then- I just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t cause a component to over heat or damage something vital- but thanks for help & quick reply- just follow up- would u recommend (low profile msi) gtx 1050 ti over the Radeon rx 560 both seem to have almost same clock speed and memory-Radeon seem to have more steam processes vs gtx having more CUDA cores & slightly faster clock speed- is there another factor that decides which is better for gaming/ rendering or vr type tasks & would the cpu be a bottleneck? Thanks in advance- really trying to get my head around. This and great to hear from more experienced users!
Clock and memory speeds and core counts aren't at all comparable with different architectures like that, despite what clickbait ad revenue sites seem to show.

The only meaningful comparisons are application benchmarks.

For games I'd go for the RX 560 without hesitation. The lack of variable refresh rate support at a sensible price makes Nvidia's low end cards hard to recommend in a general gaming context.

For rendering that isn't an issue as far as I'm aware, so it would depend on how well those applications performed on the two different cards. I know very little about that area so I would look for benchmarks and performance tests for the specific applications you're using.
Thanks- I hadn’t considered the 560- do u know if it’s low profile and can run on low powered half size pc? Hope so!
Low profile cards generally are limited to around the same amount amount of power consumption, so I wouldn't expect anything to be significantly more power hungry than a GTX1050ti.

Low profile cards using the RX 560 GPU have been made, but low profile gaming cards a niche market so they're often not available later in the life of a GPU once initial stocks are sold. You'd have to look around and see what's available.
Thanks- I just took a chance on an amazon 1050 low profile- as couldn’t see any others suitable low profiles.
It’s described as ddr5 but in further description is described as ddr 3. So now im a little nervous as heard some card makers are using the old ddr3
It’s named
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC Low Profile 4G GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 - graphics cards (NVIDIA, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 7680 x 4320 pixels, 1303 MHz, 1417 MHz, 7680 x 4320 pixels)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants