Groups
    EXPIRED

Graphics card advice

A friend has asked me to buy and install a graphics card in his Dell 5150 desktop PC (about 3 years old). He is not into modern games, just some games (dont know the actual details)

He does not want to spend a lot, and has found a "generic" Raedon HD4350 512Mb PCI-E for about £30. This has a HDMI slot as well as normal VGA and DVI. It is a "low profile" card to ensure it fits in his case. I notice it only has DDR2 memory

misco.co.uk/app…697

My local PC shop has no HD4350 with HDMI out, but does have HD4550 for about the same price.

eclipsecomputers.com/pro…512

Will the HD4550 be a suitable replacement for the HD4350 (I assume it is a little more powerful).

Any better suggestions for about the same price (£30 give or take)? Must have HDMI.

4 Comments

I would open the Dell pc first before you do anything. Dell were well known for using motherboards without AGP, or PCI-E slots on their boards which forced you have to buy new again, or at least new motherboard as well if you wanted to add a graphics card. Hope this helps

Original Poster

evolution07;6926342

I would open the Dell pc first before you do anything. Dell were well … I would open the Dell pc first before you do anything. Dell were well known for using motherboards without AGP, or PCI-E slots on their boards which forced you have to buy new again, or at least new motherboard as well if you wanted to add a graphics card. Hope this helps

Thanks. I was aware of these problems with some Dells (older ones I think)

I have downloaded the user manual for this Dell and it does talk about adding a new graphics card to the PCI-E slot, so assume it is OK. (I hope).

Friend is 150 miles away so cant just pop in to their house and check !

Neither the 4350 or 4550 are very powerful and are not really gaming cards. If the system originally came with a decent graphics card (e.g. a Geforce 8600GT) then they're unlikely to be much of an upgrade, and may even be slower.

I would find out what card he's currently got as well as which are the most demanding games he plays.

HDMI is kind of irrelevent as the card will probably include a DVI to HDMI converter in the box.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851337
      2. Vegan (Non-Dairy) Ben & Jerrys now launched in UK!1827
      3. Apples new update610
      4. Any PS4 News Here29313799

See more discussions