Groups
    EXPIRED

Graphics card advice

A couple of years ago I purchased this Dell system although with the 2.66ghz E8200 processor:

hotukdeals.com/dea…300

It did not come with a graphics card and I did not need one but now I want to play Final Fantasy XIV which will be a graphically demanding game. The CPU and memory are better than the minimum requirements for the game (considering overclocking the CPU to 3ghz for even more performance) but I obviously need a graphics card and a new PSU to support it.

In the thread it appeared the GeForce 8800 could be installed in the PC but obviously I'm now looking at recent cards. I am just wondering which cards can be installed on this PC? GeForce cards, Radeon cards or both?

I am tempted by the Radeon HD 5830 as it's a great card for the price (£136.87 delivered) but how do I even go about figuring out whether it's compatible with my motherboard?

I don't need to have my PC upgraded until September (unless I get a beta invite...), are these cards likely to drop in price by then or should I take a good deal on one now?

2 Comments

Original Poster

Not necessarily, there was a deal posted on it this week that has since expired and gone up by £70.

I'm more concerned about the compatibility issues however.

Original Poster

If it helps I've ran Belarc and the motherboard comes up as Dell Inc. 0GN723.
    Which appears to be this: barebonekit.net/ite…Tp=
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1632
      2. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1220
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764435
      4. Anyone else used www.completesavings.co.uk11

See more discussions