Graphics card advice please

Posted 20th Dec 2019
So if you didn't see my last discussion I was unsure whether I should upgrade my PC or just upgrade my GPU. However I have decided to just upgrade my GPU and have a budget of around £350.

My current GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 950.

I was looking at potentially getting a 2060 SUPER as this is literally at the top of my budget and seems like the Super version is the better version to get because of the 8gb Ram.

I'm keeping my eye on this as I will more than likely be ordering on boxing day and hoping for it to drop a tad further haha
amazon.co.uk/dp/…_it

But I thought I would ask here for some guidance and get some suggestions/advice
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
OP, in your last post you received plenty of advice, including from me, regarding buying a new GPU / PSU.

If you've decided to go just for a card, you can pick up a 2060 Super mini for just under your top budget now from ebuyer.

If you're hanging on until Boxing Day, you might be able to get a 2070 for your budget or just under. Some 2070 models are just above your top end spend just now.
psychedelicrenegade20/12/2019 09:33

OP, in your last post you received plenty of advice, including from me, …OP, in your last post you received plenty of advice, including from me, regarding buying a new GPU / PSU.If you've decided to go just for a card, you can pick up a 2060 Super mini for just under your top budget now from ebuyer.If you're hanging on until Boxing Day, you might be able to get a 2070 for your budget or just under. Some 2070 models are just above your top end spend just now.

Oh I know mate, and it's really appreciated. I just wanted a more focused GPU discussion now to determine which card to get - that's all

Is the card I am looking at worth putting that kind of money into currently? Are there better alternatives for that price range etc? That's all I was after really.
dbizal20/12/2019 09:36

Oh I know mate, and it's really appreciated. I just wanted a more focused …Oh I know mate, and it's really appreciated. I just wanted a more focused GPU discussion now to determine which card to get - that's all Is the card I am looking at worth putting that kind of money into currently? Are there better alternatives for that price range etc? That's all I was after really.

The 2060 Super is a decent card. Have a google on the benchmarks of a 2060 super vs a 2070. Both might come down in price?
dbizal20/12/2019 09:36

Oh I know mate, and it's really appreciated. I just wanted a more focused …Oh I know mate, and it's really appreciated. I just wanted a more focused GPU discussion now to determine which card to get - that's all Is the card I am looking at worth putting that kind of money into currently? Are there better alternatives for that price range etc? That's all I was after really.

A 2060 super or equivalent card is only going to be worth it if you have a 144Hz monitor or are planning to get one soon
Have you consider RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT?
Review here
techspot.com/rev…er/

You can find RX 5700 @ £290 or RX5700 XT @ £350

BTW, What is your PSU?
Shrekt20/12/2019 09:53

A 2060 super or equivalent card is only going to be worth it if you have a …A 2060 super or equivalent card is only going to be worth it if you have a 144Hz monitor or are planning to get one soon

I have a 144hz Monitor, i've got the 24.6" AOC G2460FQ.
Cisco06060620/12/2019 09:50

Have you consider RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT? Review …Have you consider RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT? Review herehttps://www.techspot.com/review/1931-radeon-5700-xt-vs-geforce-2060-super/You can find RX 5700 @ £290 or RX5700 XT @ £350BTW, What is your PSU?

I've not looked at anything else other than the 2060 and 2060 super. That's why I wanted to get some thoughts on cards around the same budget.

My current PSU is the OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PSU, but I bought that like 6 years ago so going to invest in a new PSU also, that's a separate budget of around £100.
My advice is to bin the lot and do something more productive. You'll thank me in the long run.
Erudite20/12/2019 10:01

My advice is to bin the lot and do something more productive. You'll …My advice is to bin the lot and do something more productive. You'll thank me in the long run.

Not exactly sound advice when you have no idea what I will be using it for...

You should probably take your own advice and do something more productive.
I would recommend a 5700, it's about the same speed as the 2060 Super but cheaper. Alternatively pay a little extra for a 5700 XT which is about 10% faster.
dbizal20/12/2019 09:56

I've not looked at anything else other than the 2060 and 2060 super. …I've not looked at anything else other than the 2060 and 2060 super. That's why I wanted to get some thoughts on cards around the same budget. My current PSU is the OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PSU, but I bought that like 6 years ago so going to invest in a new PSU also, that's a separate budget of around £100.

corsair rm850i is £110 from amazon at the moment if you want a good psu at a good price.
m1keyp1key20/12/2019 10:54

corsair rm850i is £110 from amazon at the moment if you want a good psu at …corsair rm850i is £110 from amazon at the moment if you want a good psu at a good price.

No point spending that much when a cx550 is ~£50

Then could use the saved money on a 5700xt
Shrekt20/12/2019 11:24

No point spending that much when a cx550 is ~£50Then could use the saved …No point spending that much when a cx550 is ~£50Then could use the saved money on a 5700xt

Never really looked at the AMD stuff... Deffo food for thought. Plus the XT version being the same price as the Super... is there a significant difference? Compatibility issues with games/software etc cpmpared the the Nvidia cards?

I will probably buy a decent PSU to be honest so don't mind forking out for the better PSU especially if I do go on to rebuild the rest of the PC later next year. Plus having a Fully modular PSU would be more convenient.
dbizal20/12/2019 11:32

Never really looked at the AMD stuff... Deffo food for thought. Plus the …Never really looked at the AMD stuff... Deffo food for thought. Plus the XT version being the same price as the Super... is there a significant difference? Compatibility issues with games/software etc cpmpared the the Nvidia cards? I will probably buy a decent PSU to be honest so don't mind forking out for the better PSU especially if I do go on to rebuild the rest of the PC later next year. Plus having a Fully modular PSU would be more convenient.

At most semi modular is all you need since there are cables which you'll never unplug (24 pin, for example)

Maybe consider a TXM550?
Shrekt20/12/2019 11:24

No point spending that much when a cx550 is ~£50Then could use the saved …No point spending that much when a cx550 is ~£50Then could use the saved money on a 5700xt

I think the rm850i at £110 is better value.

10 year guarantee, gold rated etc.

Each to their own but i find top quality power supplies at good prices a good investment that will see you through many computer upgrades.

Never really looked at the AMD stuff... Deffo food for thought. Plus the …Never really looked at the AMD stuff... Deffo food for thought. Plus the XT version being the same price as the Super... is there a significant difference? Compatibility issues with games/software etc cpmpared the the Nvidia cards? I will probably buy a decent PSU to be honest so don't mind forking out for the better PSU especially if I do go on to rebuild the rest of the PC later next year. Plus having a Fully modular PSU would be more convenient.

Nah no compatibility issues that I have encountered and as i mentioned above the XT version is about 10% faster.
Shrekt20/12/2019 11:39

At most semi modular is all you need since there are cables which you'll …At most semi modular is all you need since there are cables which you'll never unplug (24 pin, for example)Maybe consider a TXM550?

It all depends on how long that 24pin is. Although regarding the TXM550, I would rather put another £30/40 in and get that rm850i and know I will be fine in the future. Like I say I was budgeting at around £100 for a decent PSU so will keep my eye on a few of them. Someone recommended a Super Flower PSUs on the other thread also.
Gormond20/12/2019 11:41

Nah no compatibility issues that I have encountered and as i mentioned …Nah no compatibility issues that I have encountered and as i mentioned above the XT version is about 10% faster.

The thing that puts me off is that I have been using nvidia cards for 10+ years with no issues lol... Change is scary
dbizal20/12/2019 11:55

The thing that puts me off is that I have been using nvidia cards for 10+ …The thing that puts me off is that I have been using nvidia cards for 10+ years with no issues lol... Change is scary

Jensen banks on people like you
dbizal20/12/2019 11:51

It all depends on how long that 24pin is. Although regarding the TXM550, I …It all depends on how long that 24pin is. Although regarding the TXM550, I would rather put another £30/40 in and get that rm850i and know I will be fine in the future. Like I say I was budgeting at around £100 for a decent PSU so will keep my eye on a few of them. Someone recommended a Super Flower PSUs on the other thread also.

No reason a TXM550 wouldn't be fine in the future... also components are getting increasingly efficient so 850W is a waste

Never really looked at the AMD stuff... Deffo food for thought. Plus the …Never really looked at the AMD stuff... Deffo food for thought. Plus the XT version being the same price as the Super... is there a significant difference? Compatibility issues with games/software etc cpmpared the the Nvidia cards?

No, both have been seen as the two main options for a couple of decades now (at least since AMD's 9700 Pro in 2002) so every developer designs their games to run on both.
Shrekt20/12/2019 12:24

No reason a TXM550 wouldn't be fine in the future... also components are …No reason a TXM550 wouldn't be fine in the future... also components are getting increasingly efficient so 850W is a waste

Efficiency is irrelevant here, it's all about power draw. And unfortunately power draw has been rising again for the last few years.

On the other hand the PC/console gaming industry is still locked in the mindset that higher power draw is necessary. Few games are being designed to run well on even a 50W system, let alone a 10-20W system like a normal laptop.

Now that even integrated graphics can produce crysis level graphics it doesn't seem like that sort of power use can be considered acceptable for much longer
EndlessWaves20/12/2019 13:23

No, both have been seen as the two main options for a couple of decades …No, both have been seen as the two main options for a couple of decades now (at least since AMD's 9700 Pro in 2002) so every developer designs their games to run on both. Efficiency is irrelevant here, it's all about power draw. And unfortunately power draw has been rising again for the last few years.On the other hand the PC/console gaming industry is still locked in the mindset that higher power draw is necessary. Few games are being designed to run well on even a 50W system, let alone a 10-20W system like a normal laptop. Now that even integrated graphics can produce crysis level graphics it doesn't seem like that sort of power use can be considered acceptable for much longer

So I pretty much should go with whatever is cheapest at the time and don't worry about silly factors like who I am more comfortable with?
So basically my options are 2060 Super, 2070 and the RX5700 XT. Whichever is cheaper on Boxing day haha.
dbizal20/12/2019 13:28

So I pretty much should go with whatever is cheapest at the time and don't …So I pretty much should go with whatever is cheapest at the time and don't worry about silly factors like who I am more comfortable with? So basically my options are 2060 Super, 2070 and the RX5700 XT. Whichever is cheaper on Boxing day haha.

I would consider the normal 5700 too as it's the same speed as the 2060 Super.
Gormond20/12/2019 13:53

I would consider the normal 5700 too as it's the same speed as the 2060 …I would consider the normal 5700 too as it's the same speed as the 2060 Super.

I believe the 2060 super is marginally faster
Shrekt20/12/2019 14:06

I believe the 2060 super is marginally faster

Yeah a few percent but it's very game dependent, not enough to worry about IMO - Also with Navi being a newer architecture I expect in 12 months time it will probably match it.
dbizal20/12/2019 13:28

So I pretty much should go with whatever is cheapest at the time and don't …So I pretty much should go with whatever is cheapest at the time and don't worry about silly factors like who I am more comfortable with?

Well I wouldn't suggest rushing into buying one of the Intel cards being released in a few months or trying to game on a Windows on ARM system but there's certainly no reason to consider nVidia favoured by game developers. In fact given that both consoles run AMD GPUs you'd expect the opposite to be true for many games.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions