Groups

Graphics card help

I am just getting in to computing and am wondering what the best graphics card for about £30-50 delivered are, preferably nearer to £40 please. I would like one that is quite futureproof and can handle good games and at a high resolution as i have a 24" monitor and was going to connect a 15" monitor to that also for multiple screens. I was looking at these but if you know of any better please tell me:
    ebuyer.com/pro…695
    ebuyer.com/pro…617
    ebuyer.com/pro…679
    What do you think is good for the job? ive read through the reveiws and still cant decide
    thanks in advance

14 Comments

Hi there.

I think you are being a bit ambitious to ask for a graphics card that is futureproof and good at games for your budget. The Nvidia 8800GT is an unbeatable price / performance ratio card, but is many times your budget.

If your budget is strict, I would say the cards you listed are all much of a muchness. None of them would be powerful enough to do your 24" screen justice i.e. none could play games at a playable frame rate at your screen's native resolution.

Sorry for the bad news!

Not a great deal to choose between the ones you've listed.

But you should be aware that you need a fair bit of space for the last one, the Inno 3d Arctic Cooling. The piping will take up at least 1 and possibly 2 of the PCI spaces below the PCI-e. If you have no other PCI cards in the PC, you should be OK but, if you have a micro ATX board and other PCI cards you could be in trouble.

Original Poster

Heavertron;1931228

Hi there.I think you are being a bit ambitious to ask for a graphics card … Hi there.I think you are being a bit ambitious to ask for a graphics card that is futureproof and good at games for your budget. The Nvidia 8800GT is an unbeatable price / performance ratio card, but is many times your budget.If your budget is strict, I would say the cards you listed are all much of a muchness. None of them would be powerful enough to do your 24" screen justice i.e. none could play games at a playable frame rate at your screen's native resolution.Sorry for the bad news!

Thanks for the reply. What if i were to play the ga,mes on the 15" monitor? Which would you recomend? Would any of them support or allow me to watch dvd's etc and operate normal programs on the 24" monitor?

raggers;1931420

Thanks for the reply. What if i were to play the ga,mes on the 15" … Thanks for the reply. What if i were to play the ga,mes on the 15" monitor? Which would you recomend? Would any of them support or allow me to watch dvd's etc and operate normal programs on the 24" monitor?

They would all work on the 24" monitor. Just not much good for games but watching DVDs and general use should be fine. I would get cheapest for 15" monitor.:)

I have got an Nvidia 6800 (256 mb ram) you can have for £25 or 2 to run in SLI for £40 they are great cards in DX9 and beat a lot of DX10 cards for a lot of things, i have upgraded 2 of my gaming machines so have 2 but have never run thm in SLI but know it can be done.

P.S. I can give you a 17" CRT monitor (for free if you buy them both) if you like they are still better for games and films then TFT

Hello,
    Yes, I expect the 15" monitor has a resolution of 1024 x 768, so you should be able to play games on that screen with the graphics cards listed, provided you turn down most of the graphical effects and details within the in game options.

You could watch DVD's and use windows on the 24" (or indeed spanned accross both screens), using any of the cards you listed.

If you could stretch a bit a Nvidia 8600GT is a good mid range card and would get you a nicer looking game experience

It'll run most games on the 24" (those that support it's resolution anyway), although on new games you'll have to turn some of the graphical settings down and it won't be able to play future games smoothly for as long as a higher end card could. It will produce much higher framerates on the 15" as there are only 1/3 as many pixels (0.78 million against 2.3 million). Practically any card will run a basic computer at 1920x1200(like windows without aero). I would imagine these cards are probably decent for aero too.

I'd imagine the 3650 is best, but go for whichever ones the reviews show is fastest since if you don't need any particular connections that'll all that really matters. Although if you envisage yourself using it for a while it might be worth spending slightly more and

Original Poster

Thankyou very much for the help, ive had a look and can stretch the budjet maybe to this:
    ebuyer.com/pro…ews
    You think this is the best card to get?
    Thanks again

You're welcome. That's a better card in my opinion. It has a good level of performance considering the price.

personally i find if you want future proof try and go for a branded name, gigabyte,asus, xfx aint bad, otherwise next generic driver updates can often leave cheaper cards failing

There's an article about the best graphics card for £50 here: hexus.net/con…=10

EndlessWaves;1933013

There's an article about the best graphics card for £50 here: … There's an article about the best graphics card for £50 here: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=11691&page=10

yeah i had a sapphire 1950pro, have to admit for a newskool" brand seemed to handle itself very well

Sapphire? They've been around at least since the 9800/9600, in fact in those days they were apparently making the ATI branded cards as well.

hd 2600xt 512mb - good card for the money
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941356
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!563832
      3. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691433
      4. Cheer me up please?712

See more discussions