Found 13th May 2008
Hello all, I've had my computer for a while now and just noticed that my monitor has a DVI connection as well as the other type (VGA?). if i get a graphics card with a DVI out will i see a difference? i only ask as im considering buying a second monitor so need a graphics card which will have dual outputs. can you recommend one? I don't play games so they arent a big concern, will mainly be using the computer for everyday uni stuff and probably a bit of 3D modelling (ProEngineer if that makes a difference) my current card is a ATI Radeon X1300 (from memory, not in front of that computer at the minute)

15 Comments

You'll not notice a difference in the image - I certainly haven't but as it's digital you'll never need to press the auto-adjust button again! I would get a basic 8xxx card for DX10 support -£40 up. If you want to play games an 8600GT min. Hope that helps

Original Poster

It does help thanks. hopefully now someone can point me in the direction of a deal which will be suitable

Have a look on Play.com as they had some 8000 series cards that have DVI, but check the details of them to see if they have two outputs either 1xVGA + 1xDVI or 2xDVI, whatever you require. What sort of budget are you looking at? Also, is it a PCI-E slot on your motherboard or an older AGP?

Original Poster

bjmcghee;2088501

Have a look on Play.com as they had some 8000 series cards that have DVI, … Have a look on Play.com as they had some 8000 series cards that have DVI, but check the details of them to see if they have two outputs either 1xVGA + 1xDVI or 2xDVI, whatever you require. What sort of budget are you looking at? Also, is it a PCI-E slot on your motherboard or an older AGP?

didn't really want to pay a lot, i think my card is a PCI-E slot, is there anyway i can check? also i think i'd like dual dvi outputs, as my new monitor (when i get round to buying it) will probably have one of them (i think)

guerilla;2088528

didn't really want to pay a lot, i think my card is a PCI-E slot, is … didn't really want to pay a lot, i think my card is a PCI-E slot, is there anyway i can check? also i think i'd like dual dvi outputs, as my new monitor (when i get round to buying it) will probably have one of them (i think)

Do you know what motherboard is in your PC by any chance, do you still have the old spec from when you bought it? That would tell you what slot is present on the board and what type of card is there. Or even just opening up the side and looking for a make and model number would help, it should be printed on the motherboard itself in relatively large letters.

Original Poster

from belarc advisor
Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. A8NE-FM 1.00

Original Poster

is that what i was looking for?

Here's a list of dual DVI cards at Dabs, but you'd still need to check if your motherboard takes AGP or PCI-E cards.

dabs.com/pro…t=0

Yup, it's got a PCI-E slot so I think all those cards on the list at Dabs are PCI-E

Original Poster

cheers ill have a check tonight. how will i be able to tell?

guerilla;2096094

cheers ill have a check tonight. how will i be able to tell?

Tell what? I just realised that they have listed some as PCI-E and PCI-E x16 but it should just be the one category. Click on the link I put in the earlier post and it should take you straight to the list in order of price.

PS Here's the link to the manual for your motherboard, might be useful to have an electronic version for quick access: allegro.prh.pl/a8n…pdf

BTW, I'm not saying Dabs is the best place to buy or cheapest, have a look around at the ones that interest you and see if you can price them better elsewhere, they also charge P&P on top so it all adds up in the end.

vixygwim;2096121

I'm guessing that your card doesn't have dual outputs?When I say dual I … I'm guessing that your card doesn't have dual outputs?When I say dual I don't mean 2x DVI, I mean 1x VGA and 1x DVI which would be common on a budget ATI card.

I gathered that from the first post that he was using a single VGA output card at the moment and had just realised the monitor has a DVI input too, but was looking at having two DVI monitors in the future. At least that's what I got from it.

Original Poster

bjmcghee;2096102

Tell what? I just realised that they have listed some as PCI-E and PCI-E … Tell what? I just realised that they have listed some as PCI-E and PCI-E x16 but it should just be the one category. Click on the link I put in the earlier post and it should take you straight to the list in order of price.PS Here's the link to the manual for your motherboard, might be useful to have an electronic version for quick access: http://www.allegro.prh.pl/a8ne/download/manual.pdfBTW, I'm not saying Dabs is the best place to buy or cheapest, have a look around at the ones that interest you and see if you can price them better elsewhere, they also charge P&P on top so it all adds up in the end.

i hadnt seen your post saying it was a PCI-E slot. Thanks for the links, very helpful ill have a look at them later on. i really should be doing some work!

Original Poster

bjmcghee;2096132

I gathered that from the first post that he was using a VGA and had just … I gathered that from the first post that he was using a VGA and had just realised the monitor has a DVI input too, but was looking at having two DVI monitors in the future. At least that's what I got from it.

thats exactly right, card has a vga slot (and a s-video one) and the monitor has vga and dvi, but when i go back to uni ill probably get another monitor

guerilla;2096133

i hadnt seen your post saying it was a PCI-E slot. Thanks for the links, … i hadnt seen your post saying it was a PCI-E slot. Thanks for the links, very helpful ill have a look at them later on. i really should be doing some work!

No probs, mate, let us know how you get on and I'm sure someone will be able to help you if you need it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition73820
    2. Win free gin for a year99
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines65
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk33

See more discussions