Graphics card help.

Posted 30th Oct
Hi all, sorry to be bothering you all with GPU questions but im a bit stuck on what the right upgrade path for me is. looking to spend betwee £150 to £250 max on a new GPU for my oldish rig.

i7 4770k no OC
16gb ddr3 ram
550 corsair PSU

current card is r9 280x 3gb. been looking at getting 8gb card to replace it but been warned about bottlenecks if i went near cards such as gtx 1070/1080/ti cards. not fussed about 4k but would like 1080p at highest possible settings. Used to play WoW and thinking of replaying but also want to play modern games at high or max settings too.

Any advice please? thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
for around £250 u can get an rx vega 56 or if you want nvidia equiv id get a rtx 2060 or 1660ti they are slightly more expensive but black friday is around the corner so should give you more rooms for discount and upgrade!

Would even recommend putting intel autoboost on your cpu just for extra 1-2 fps and possibly adding an SSD for your windows OS if you dont have already.

I wouldnt say your pc is that old, i7 4770k is a beast even to this day

p.s u wont get bottles necks even if u go with 1070/1080ti. even if u do it would be very hard to notice:

It is worth noting that the GTX 1080 Ti is a very power hungry card and requires a decent power supply unit. ... This combination between GTX 1080 Ti and Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz has less than 8% bottleneck in many games and is perfect match to avoid FPS loss.
Edited by: "rocktoons28" 30th Oct
I recently upgraded from a 4770k but still consider it a very viable gaming CPU. Bottlenecks are relatively few and far between, though they will become increasingly common over the next 12-18 months. I currently have an RTX 2080 and titles such as Battlefield V / AC Odyssey revealed CPU limitations on my system. However something like Gears of War 5 was not bottlenecked by the 4770k.
Rx vega 56 recommends a 650w psu.
rocktoons2830/10/2019 12:56

for around £250 u can get an rx vega 56 or if you want nvidia equiv id get …for around £250 u can get an rx vega 56 or if you want nvidia equiv id get a rtx 2060 or 1660ti they are slightly more expensive but black friday is around the corner so should give you more rooms for discount and upgrade! Would even recommend putting intel autoboost on your cpu just for extra 1-2 fps and possibly adding an SSD for your windows OS if you dont have already.I wouldnt say your pc is that old, i7 4770k is a beast even to this day p.s u wont get bottles necks even if u go with 1070/1080ti. even if u do it would be very hard to notice: It is worth noting that the GTX 1080 Ti is a very power hungry card and requires a decent power supply unit. ... This combination between GTX 1080 Ti and Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz has less than 8% bottleneck in many games and is perfect match to avoid FPS loss.

Thank you. I have an SSD ready to go in and will defo look at turning autoboost on too. Am i just being blinded by the shiny stuff by looking at 8gb cards? Or are the newer 6gb cards like the 2060 keeping up with the older 1070 8gb cards? So confused these days with it all.

I just dont want to pay a big chunk of money to maybe only play WoW for now and not get any future proofing out of the card for stuff that comes out down the line. Hope that makes sense.
MBeeching30/10/2019 13:17

I recently upgraded from a 4770k but still consider it a very viable …I recently upgraded from a 4770k but still consider it a very viable gaming CPU. Bottlenecks are relatively few and far between, though they will become increasingly common over the next 12-18 months. I currently have an RTX 2080 and titles such as Battlefield V / AC Odyssey revealed CPU limitations on my system. However something like Gears of War 5 was not bottlenecked by the 4770k.

Thanks for the reply. Would OC the CPU help any bottlrnecking issues and give a bit more life to a i7 4770k and a 1070/1080/ti set up?
GTX 1660 super or RX 590

Depends on how much you want to spend

uk.pcpartpicker.com/pro…rd/
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 30th Oct
For 1080p gaming, don’t limit yourself to 8GB GPUs, 6GB will be fine. You’ll have more options to choose from then.
Edited by: "AJ10" 30th Oct
Save your money. But an RX 580 8GB or GTX 1060 6GB, keep an eye out for used.
In a year sell the whole rig and build a fresh. Don’t bother future proofing now.
The best thing to do would be to say what you're looking to play. Wow doesn't seem to have massive requirements from their website with a recommended setup running a 4gb GTX 960. But like a few people have said a 1060 6gb would be decent and sufficient. Or even if you can get a slightly better card all be it a used one.
Evoequinox30/10/2019 14:17

Thanks for the reply. Would OC the CPU help any bottlrnecking issues and …Thanks for the reply. Would OC the CPU help any bottlrnecking issues and give a bit more life to a i7 4770k and a 1070/1080/ti set up?

If you've got a decent motherboard and cooler there are worthwhile gains. I settled upon a 4.2GHz clock as 4.3/4.4 was proving a bit much for my heatsink during intensive benchmarking.
Edited by: "MBeeching" 30th Oct
Get a 2060. Then when you upgrade the rest of the machine in the next few years the card will still be good for a few more years.
^
Evoequinox30/10/2019 14:17

Thanks for the reply. Would OC the CPU help any bottlrnecking issues and …Thanks for the reply. Would OC the CPU help any bottlrnecking issues and give a bit more life to a i7 4770k and a 1070/1080/ti set up?

I would defo oc it just for extra performance gains if you know what you're doing and if you have a good aftermarket cpu cooler.

Make sure to have your windows OS on ssd too, easy performance boost. I seriously wouldn't even be worried about bottle necking.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants