Found 7th Nov 2010
Could anyone recommend one for £20-£30?

17 Comments

Original Poster

Only looking to run games such as tf2, sims 2 and possibly COD4. I have a 2.2 Dual Core CPU atm with 2gb ram.

Original Poster

Also a Geforce 8600 GTS 256 MB for £30?

Original Poster

anyone?

8600 gts will be okay for TF2 and sims but will only play COD4 on low settings,

Original Poster

tonyg1962

8600 gts will be okay for TF2 and sims but will only play COD4 on low … 8600 gts will be okay for TF2 and sims but will only play COD4 on low settings,

Is it worth the £30?

Thanks btw

Also are the others any better?

Does that also mean it will play Portal 2? (same engine)
Edited by: "Met-Cast" 7th Nov 2010

Met-Cast

Is it worth the £30?Thanks btwAlso are the others any better?Does that … Is it worth the £30?Thanks btwAlso are the others any better?Does that also mean it will play Portal 2? (same engine)

Yes its worth £30 (just) and for video gaming is better than the others
videocardbenchmark.net/gpu…php

Original Poster

dcx_badass

8800GT/9800GT can be got for £40 second hand, would be worth it, can run … 8800GT/9800GT can be got for £40 second hand, would be worth it, can run CoD4, MW2 at 1920*1080 all settings on high.

I might consider that if it will be better in the long run.

tonyg1962

Yes its worth £30 (just) and for video gaming is better than the … Yes its worth £30 (just) and for video gaming is better than the othershttp://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Thanks mate will look into it.
Do you have any recommendations?

Original Poster

Also DCX 8800GT and 9800GT aren't the same card right?

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Well that's what I did just over a year ago.

And you're still using that same one?

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Yes still using it, and yes they are the same card just renamed.

Oh okay,
Also what's with all the different brands (i'm guessing?) zotac, asus, nvidia. But all still say Geforce 8800GT

If you can stretch to £62 this.is as much better card for cod but you will need 2 slots and a 400w psu
aria.co.uk/Pro…eps

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Just who makes them, doesn't really matter, just diff warranties etc. … Just who makes them, doesn't really matter, just diff warranties etc. Mine is EVGA, although I found their support pretty useless. But I needed a screw as one was missing whne I bought it used, got one from a local shop and it's been fine (was fine without the screw anyway.Some run at different speeds aswell.

That's weird I always thought Nvidia owned geforce for some reason.
Will 2GB be enough ram?

Original Poster

tonyg1962

If you can stretch to £62 this.is as much better card for cod but you … If you can stretch to £62 this.is as much better card for cod but you will need 2 slots and a 400w psuhttp://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/ATI+4000+Series/VTX+ATI+Radeon+HD+4850+512MB+GDDR3+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=40735&source=googleps

Thanks but £62 will be too much plus my PSU isn't great.

That's another thing where's the best place to get a PSU?

2gb is plenty but if you need a psu you will need to spend another £35 at least so you may be as well off with the 8600gts

Met-Cast

Thanks but £62 will be too much plus my PSU isn't great.That's another … Thanks but £62 will be too much plus my PSU isn't great.That's another thing where's the best place to get a PSU?

Original Poster

tonyg1962

2gb is plenty but if you need a psu you will need to spend another £35 at … 2gb is plenty but if you need a psu you will need to spend another £35 at least so you may be as well off with the 8600gts

£35 why's that?

Original Poster

Ahh that's interesting, what kind of psu would I need for this card then?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Domain renewal36
    2. Removing Integrated fridge freezer22
    3. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?58
    4. Tomtop Xiaomi Mi A1 deal removed436

See more discussions