Graphics card needed

Posted 4th Jun 2020
Need a graphics card, happy to spend up to 150. I've narrowed down to £150 Powercolor Rx580, but I don't really know the Nvidia lineup so was wondering what people would recommend?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Nice to know what your other specs are so we can recommend a good match up.
Also if you have a FreeSync monitor or G sync.
Brand new thats probably as good as you'll get with the awful GPU prices - you've really chosen the worst time to buy!

A few months back you could have got a refurb 580 for £80 with warranty. Unless absolutely desperate I'd wait to see if a one off bargain appears somewhere
I think the 580 equivalent for Nvidia is probably the gtx 1060 or 1660. Both of those are more expensive. I think you would probably have to spend quite a bit more to get an nvidia card. I think only downsides to the rx card is that it’s a bit more power hungry. But not really much of an issue! Second thing is that it’s a pretty old card (2017) so might not support all new graphic tech. Will still run everything just not future proofed.
Munch198104/06/2020 16:02

Nice to know what your other specs are so we can recommend a good match up.

Ryzen 5 1600AF and 16GB 3200mhz. I was using an RX570 ITX that I got for £61 (STEAL!) but then the fan failed and I've been put off buying a refurbished card and also all of the eBay sites are sold out. I've got a refund for that plus I've got some more money than I did at the initial time of the build (late March) so thought I'd get something a bit better. Monitor is a 1080p 75hz AOC without Freesync, I've found it to be a great monitor.
AgentZeus04/06/2020 16:14

I think the 580 equivalent for Nvidia is probably the gtx 1060 or 1660. …I think the 580 equivalent for Nvidia is probably the gtx 1060 or 1660. Both of those are more expensive. I think you would probably have to spend quite a bit more to get an nvidia card. I think only downsides to the rx card is that it’s a bit more power hungry. But not really much of an issue! Second thing is that it’s a pretty old card (2017) so might not support all new graphic tech. Will still run everything just not future proofed.

Ok cheers. Yeah Nvidia always seem to be quite expensive, the only thing I'm worried about is I've had two refurbished AMD cards (an rx470 and then rx570) and both have failed, but I guess this brand new one should be better.
Munch198104/06/2020 16:26

So brand new. But higher prices.CCL as best price …So brand new. But higher prices.CCL as best price https://www.cclonline.com/product/315682/AXRX580-8GBD5-DHDV2/OC/Graphics-Cards/PowerColor-Radeon-RX-580-Red-Dragon-8GB-Overclocked-Graphics-Card/VGA5824/

Okay cheers, think I'll pull the trigger on this then. Have seen some bad reviews about it running hot but I doubt I'll be demanding too much from it.
The Nvidia GTX 1650 Super is Intel's closest point of comparison to the 580, also available for about £150 and offering extremely similar performance, with the newer architecture compensating for the lower VRAM. They're more or less within spitting distance of each other, however in the rare instances that one of these cards has a noteworthy lead (say a 10% fps difference), it seems to fall more often in favour of the Super. Take a look at benchmarks for the games you want to play and see if either card has a clear lead.

youtube.com/wat…hs0
ElGofre04/06/2020 16:43

The Nvidia GTX 1650 Super is Intel's closest point of comparison to the …The Nvidia GTX 1650 Super is Intel's closest point of comparison to the 580, also available for about £150 and offering extremely similar performance, with the newer architecture compensating for the lower VRAM. They're more or less within spitting distance of each other, however in the rare instances that one of these cards has a noteworthy lead (say a 10% fps difference), it seems to fall more often in favour of the Super. Take a look at benchmarks for the games you want to play and see if either card has a clear lead.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvXGe1RQhs0

I already bought the RX580 but now I'm tempted by the super given it seems to run quieter, use less power and offer similar/more performance. Do you think I would need the 8gb VRAM?
tk220904/06/2020 21:54

I already bought the RX580 but now I'm tempted by the super given it seems …I already bought the RX580 but now I'm tempted by the super given it seems to run quieter, use less power and offer similar/more performance. Do you think I would need the 8gb VRAM?

It's a tough choice. On the one hand 4GB is a bit meagre for a 2020 card, but on the other hand by the time you're getting to graphics settings capable of saturating 6-8GB of VRAM you're also going to be pushing the limits of the 580's three year old architecture, hence the very similar performance results. I'd personally lean towards the 1650S for the reasons you've mentioned, slightly higher performance with slightly better power consumption and thermal/noise levels, although neither is likely to offer a radically different experience to the other over the course of their lifespans.
Edited by: "ElGofre" 4th Jun
If it’s only a failed fan, why not watercool it with a Kraken?
Danze198405/06/2020 05:47

If it’s only a failed fan, why not watercool it with a Kraken?

Honestly I'm not that good at messing around with hardware and it was under warranty anyway so thought I may aswell send back
ElGofre04/06/2020 23:35

It's a tough choice. On the one hand 4GB is a bit meagre for a 2020 card, …It's a tough choice. On the one hand 4GB is a bit meagre for a 2020 card, but on the other hand by the time you're getting to graphics settings capable of saturating 6-8GB of VRAM you're also going to be pushing the limits of the 580's three year old architecture, hence the very similar performance results. I'd personally lean towards the 1650S for the reasons you've mentioned, slightly higher performance with slightly better power consumption and thermal/noise levels, although neither is likely to offer a radically different experience to the other over the course of their lifespans.

Ok cheers for that. I'll probably pick up the zotac 1650s then. Otherwise I could go a bit cheaper and get an rx570 8gb, is that a noticeable performance difference?
tk220905/06/2020 10:55

Ok cheers for that. I'll probably pick up the zotac 1650s then. Otherwise …Ok cheers for that. I'll probably pick up the zotac 1650s then. Otherwise I could go a bit cheaper and get an rx570 8gb, is that a noticeable performance difference?

I wouldn't go for the 570, the relatively small saving doesn't justify the performance drop versus the 1650S/580.
Edited by: "ElGofre" 5th Jun
Cheers for everyone who helped me with this. Basically I read everywhere that both Powercolor and XFX are crap cards which overheat and are really noisy, so instead I went on eBay and got an RX580 Nitro + for 140. Don't think it constitutes as a hot deal but a reasonable price, I just hope it works well as I have had so many problems with AMD graphics cards...
Post a comment
@
    Text