Groups

Graphics Card Problem

Would a graphics card that's on it's way out stop pc from booting up?
    I run Xp on an oldish machine and noticed over a few weeks that the card maybe failing (my diagnosis). Now I have lines on screen and pc will only boot up in safe mode. When booting up it never gets past the xp loading screen then boots up again. After about 3 minutes it automatically go to options for booting in safe mode without me pressing F8.
    In safe mode you can just make out icons etc but gets worse when you move the mouse
    Any help would be great before I get a second hand one off ebay.

14 Comments

Is it a separate graphics card, and does the PC also have an integrated one?

Original Poster

It's seperate. I took it out to clean then put back but no difference.
    Does agp x4 mean anything?

Original Poster

looks like this one on ebay

Does the computer boot up if you take out the separate card?
    BTW the AGP4x just tells you the connection (AGP) of the card.

Original Poster

Babbabooey;7876612

Does the computer boot up if you take out the separate card?

I'll try that now.

Original Poster

If I take out I have nothing to plug the monitor in to.

rotisman38;7876693

If I take out I have nothing to plug the monitor in to.

Which is why I asked if the PC also had an integrated card :thumbsup:

Original Poster

I'll buy one off ebay and hopefully it is the graphics card as they're cheap. Using son's lappy at the moment and i'm lost without pc especially on my day off today:thumbsup:

Original Poster

I just thought It would boot up but just have a bad screen display until I replaced but can only boot in safe mode

rotisman38;7876863

I just thought It would boot up but just have a bad screen display until … I just thought It would boot up but just have a bad screen display until I replaced but can only boot in safe mode

Its probably overheating. Is the cooler properly seated on the chip, does the fan spin freely? Unfortunately when they do overheat they can often cause permanent damage so it by all accounts might be fubar'd.

Original Poster

can't see a fan on it

Lines on the screen does mean the graphics card has probably had it.

rotisman38;7877198

can't see a fan on it

Is the heatsink properly seated?

Original Poster

Update - Got a 2nd hand G Card from local pc shop and back up and running - thanks 2 all
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764689
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4562134
      3. Sky Fibre Max11
      4. Samsung Note 8914

See more discussions