Graphics / Drawing Tablet and old iPad

Posted 8th Oct
My 10 year old son loves drawing and would like a drawing tablet for Xmas. I don’t want to spend the amount of money required to get one that has a built in screen, but my desktop pc is outdated and won’t support a tablet that needs to link into it.

I know he’d also like an iPad and so was considering getting a second hand or refurbished old model for just over £100 with a drawing tablet that could link to it. However, I’m struggling to find tablets that can use an iOS operating system.

Does anyone know of a cheap drawing tablet that could be used with an older iPad model? Or an alternative cost effective solution like a cheap laptop that would support a drawing tablet? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
One option could just be to buy an iPad that supports an Apple Pencil (such as the 2018 iPad) but use it with a third party stylus like this one Stylus for iPad (at £33.24 with voucher) rather than the expensive official pencil. That would save you having to buy an older iPad and separate graphics tablet but then worrying about what version of iOS is supported by the various apps. If you do want to go for a separate graphics tablet and device then the Wacom Intuos S could be a good place to start (but get the Bluetooth version if you want to connect to a iPad/tablet).
Haircut_10008/10/2019 12:51

One option could just be to buy an iPad that supports an Apple Pencil …One option could just be to buy an iPad that supports an Apple Pencil (such as the 2018 iPad) but use it with a third party stylus like this one Stylus for iPad (at £33.24 with voucher) rather than the expensive official pencil. That would save you having to buy an older iPad and separate graphics tablet but then worrying about what version of iOS is supported by the various apps. If you do want to go for a separate graphics tablet and device then the Wacom Intuos S could be a good place to start (but get the Bluetooth version if you want to connect to a iPad/tablet).

Will any Bluetooth drawing tablet work with an iPad?
There are lots of refurbished former business laptops with excellent Wacom digitisers on eBay, often for quite cheap.

PC specs for running a drawing tablet aren't that high - it's the software that has the high requirements - but if he's happy just to use it in MS Paint or something that won't be an issue.
Ferris08/10/2019 13:58

There are lots of refurbished former business laptops with excellent Wacom …There are lots of refurbished former business laptops with excellent Wacom digitisers on eBay, often for quite cheap. PC specs for running a drawing tablet aren't that high - it's the software that has the high requirements - but if he's happy just to use it in MS Paint or something that won't be an issue.

What’s a Wacom Digitiser?
jkofnottingham08/10/2019 14:01

What’s a Wacom Digitiser?

It's a touch screen on a laptop that allows accurate pen input with a special Wacom stylus.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants