Advise for extending driveway

Posted 9th AprEdited by:"Helpful567"
Our current driveway will hold two cars

Our house has two working adults but we have 3 teenage children who will inevitably get cars and have friends with cars.

- so not planning to do this during lockdown but in the next year or two

we have a reasonable amount of garden space to the side of the drive and would like to extend the drive so that it can hold upto 6 additional cars, with a tiny island (4ft) which will make it easier to move cars in & out of this area.

The current drive is concrete

What is the cheapest / easiest / best looking way of doing this?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Depending on your council area some are banning new concrete and tarmac drives due to the increased water runoff and then the potential for extra flooding in the area when the drains cant cope. If it was me, i would go for something like a driveway grid (google image search this for what i mean) and then either gravel or put the earth back and let the grass grow. That way it would pass planning permission as water would still permeate and you dont end up with a concrete slab around your house, however it will support a cars weight without creating tracks in the lawn.
Have you considered permeable paving? It's cheap, easy, allows drainage so the water company doesn't have to be informed and some of the brick ones can look quite nice.
I was also going to suggest using one of the plastic mesh products for driveways.

I was thinking of using some on the grass lawn in front of our gate for the boat trailer, as it can become a bit of a bog after heavy rain and grass will look better there than more concrete or gravel.
Edited by: "melted" 9th Apr
Your could dig 50mm of dirt out put anti weed fabric down then chip it on top of drive way grid
40360656-bhzhY.jpg
Can you lay driveway grid over the top of the concrete drive?
Yip you can do it’s all interlocking so won’t move about
Scotland131409/04/2020 15:36

Your could dig 50mm of dirt out put anti weed fabric down then chip it on …Your could dig 50mm of dirt out put anti weed fabric down then chip it on top of drive way grid[Image]

What goes under the grid , hardcore or does it go on top of soil
ashmac10/04/2020 00:20

What goes under the grid , hardcore or does it go on top of soil

If you have soft ground I would hardcore it then membrane then grid then stones but if you’re ground is hard enough then membrane grid stone
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions