to Brexit, Professor Peter Coles of Cardiff University has provided a
breakdown of his syllabus.
2818479-yi41A.jpg
and this,
2818479-qYEPQ.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
15 Comments
This is a politicians' technique to pass the buck, the flack, brexiters' and remoaners' wrath, to academics. It is a "blame" tool, or finger pointer tool. They have "free" and paid for researchers to process the syllabuses and links and then the MPs will use the anlysed results as means by which to justify whatever the positive and negative aspects of Brexit implementation and results. But note the decoy technique which may be used in this, request data for use in purpose A but is in fact for use in purpose B which is not made known. There may be hidden motives and purpose which may surface in the coming months and years.

This is because many voters do not differentiate between:-

1: Cause and effect
2: Causation and correlation.

EU referendum was 52:48 result, no political parties published any "academic quality" of information for voters and put them on web sites setting out the pros and cons properly prior to Referendum Day, they did not ask the civil servants to publish much quality information for voters' decision making. Therefore syllabuses and specififcations would be useful information for the "students" of politics (the politicians are the errant students of Brexit). They are well out of their depth compared to academics. Moreover, here is a gem-stone, many academics at universities are the best from Europe, they know more about Europe and Brexit than the British UK politicians. These academics are multi-lingual, they have access for their syllabuses the best sources of information in foreign languages. The universities have leading academics and experts visiting UK, they are much more in touch.
Edited by: "splender" 27th Oct 2017
I live in a University town and my University has just gone through a massive modernisation and expansion , they are also in debt like most Universities. Maybe people should stop blaming the government (Labour/Tory) for giving out student loans that most won't ever pay back anyway and maybe look at the Universities literally letting in anyone, just a thought
Edited by: "catbeans" 27th Oct 2017
catbeans9 m ago

I live in a University town and my University has just gone through a …I live in a University town and my University has just gone through a massive modernisation and expansion , they are also in debt like most Universities. Maybe people should stop blaming the government (Labour/Tory) for giving out student loans that most won't ever pay back anyway and maybe look at the Universities literally letting in anyone, just a thought

Some universities have to let in anyone, or they would have nobody there.
CoeK5 m ago

Some universities have to let in anyone, or they would have nobody there.

When I went to the University in my city, I skipped application, skipped clearing and they found me a 'place' a few weeks before the course started, the course was majorly over subscribed and I lacked any high level qualifications on the subject, I just have ALOT of UCAS points. That was 2009 I think, in a not high level but sought after university.
Edited by: "catbeans" 27th Oct 2017
catbeans14 m ago

I live in a University town and my University has just gone through a …I live in a University town and my University has just gone through a massive modernisation and expansion , they are also in debt like most Universities. Maybe people should stop blaming the government (Labour/Tory) for giving out student loans that most won't ever pay back anyway and maybe look at the Universities literally letting in anyone, just a thought

It is more than universities letting in literally anyone, which is true, the whole system (government, universities, employers' human resources + execs) have marketed and branded a university degress as a mandatory criterion on job application forms for just opening the door to a career, whereas most jobs in Britain are OK with A levels plus relevant functional training at the work place. It is a very bad use of £50,000 of money to "educate" people when, say, £5000 - £20,000 at the workplace would have achieved the same purpose. (excluding the career jobs which require very specific university courses such as the STEMs).

Take the ACCA professional qualification , there is no need to have a university degree, it is sufficient to have 2 passes at GCE / VCE A Level (grades A-E or 9-4) PLUS

3 GCSE / Vocational GCSE / GCE O Level passes (grades 1-6 / A-C) (in five separate subjects including Mathematics & English)
catbeans1 m ago

When I went to the University in my city, I skipped application, skipped …When I went to the University in my city, I skipped application, skipped clearing and they found me a 'place' a few weeks before the course started, the course was majorly over subscribed and I lacked any high level qualifications on the subject, I just have ALOT of UCAS points. That was 2009 I think, in a not high level but sought after university.

It has been a while since I went to uni. My last degree was OU.
catbeans1 h, 7 m ago

In debt? would be good to see their balance sheet and financial statements.

One of the uni's I worked at was loaded, they made a ton of money doing consultancy and IPR work which was the first priority, second was overseas students paying big money and finally the UK students whom they don't make that much from these days.
DKLS12 m ago

In debt? would be good to see their balance sheet and financial …In debt? would be good to see their balance sheet and financial statements.One of the uni's I worked at was loaded, they made a ton of money doing consultancy and IPR work which was the first priority, second was overseas students paying big money and finally the UK students whom they don't make that much from these days.

They must make a tonne for the local economy too, all them students flats, shopping in lidl etc
Uilleam179 m ago

Mr Heaton-Harris might be in some difficulty after Jo Johnson suggested …Mr Heaton-Harris might be in some difficulty after Jo Johnson suggested he may have wanted the information for a book he was writing on Europe. There was no mention of this in the letter, which was written on House of Commons paper. The suggestion is that, by pretending to be writing in his capacity as an MP, rather than as a private citizen researching a book, Mr Heaton-Harris was trying to gain a pecuniary advantage by deception (his book would earn money for him personally, you see. Writing in his capacity as an MP means the information would be used, at least nominally, in the interests of the national political debate). In layperson’s terms, that’s fraud.

Why would you trust this more than others as to what politicians say? What do you means by "may" in : "Jo Johnson suggested he may have wanted the information for a book he was writing on Europe."
Segata-Sanshiro48 m ago

They must make a tonne for the local economy too, all them students flats, …They must make a tonne for the local economy too, all them students flats, shopping in lidl etc

A tonne is certainly true, depends of who gets what in this "tonne".

Or, EU benefits that even a "Brexit" monkey can understand.

(note: in this case benefits are illustrated by "a tonne" of cucumber and grapes)
Edited by: "splender" 27th Oct 2017
DKLS46 m ago

In debt? would be good to see their balance sheet and financial …In debt? would be good to see their balance sheet and financial statements.One of the uni's I worked at was loaded, they made a ton of money doing consultancy and IPR work which was the first priority, second was overseas students paying big money and finally the UK students whom they don't make that much from these days.

you can find tonnes of these financial statement easily on university web sites such as this from Greenwich U.
DKLS4 h, 27 m ago

That's interesting and definitely the same here. I do remember at the time news articles about them owing a massive debt to the construction companies, rather than Debt on the books and it does seem they have rebounded but not much? 3%, 7.5m cash surplus, I guess those extra fees are really helping out.

plymouth.ac.uk/you…nts
The bit about fees is beautiful
catbeans2 h, 49 m ago

That's interesting and definitely the same here. I do remember at the time …That's interesting and definitely the same here. I do remember at the time news articles about them owing a massive debt to the construction companies, rather than Debt on the books and it does seem they have rebounded but not much? 3%, 7.5m cash surplus, I guess those extra fees are really helping out. https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/your-university/financial-statements

The uni I worked at any of the consultancy work, knowledge transfer or IPR stuff didn't hit the Uni's accounts or statements, it was routed via limited companies, often so they could spin them out build the business then sell up for big money.

Something to do with a Uni is a civil corporation with charitable status, I do have vague memories of 4hr meetings with the Uni's accountants but couldn't make sense of the way money was reported.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions