Greatest Cinema Memories

Banned
As a kid I can remember seeing Star Wars whilst on holiday in Cornwall. It holds a great place in my heart that will never be beaten. We went as a family to see all of the original trilogy.

I fell asleep watching Watership Down - too long for a kid and a wee bit violent.

Brewsters Millions was the first film I saw with a boyfriend whilst still at school. His Kappa jumper and waffle Farahs smelt of persil. We still speak to this day and the strong smell of laundry has always made me happy since.

Back to the Future, who didn't love Michael J. Fox?

Not many films hold such great memories now though:-(

30 Comments

Original Poster Banned

Fox, I know you are rustling around the wardrobe now;-)

I have various memories over the years including ones from recent films...although Transformers had a mixed reaction I thought it was a great film to see at the cinema, even from the moment you see Blackout in the menacing form of a Pave Low IV coming over the horizon with the low sun then landing at the base and transforming into his robot form.

If I had to choose one moment it would be watching First Contact, I went when I was on study leave (prelims were done) which meant I pretty much had the cinema to myself. The opening sequence was just stunning at the cinema with the federation fleet duellingn it out with the Borg cube.

John

"Saturday Morning at the Pictures" I remember it well !

Flash Gordon
The Lone Ranger
Loads of other B features that in retrospect were really awful.

It was sixpence (a tanner) to get in and got us out of our parents hair for a few hours, cheap !

The first film I took a girl to see was My Fair Lady ! Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn. We both enjoyed the film more than each other I think, LOL.

Original Poster Banned

Johnmcl7

I have various memories over the years including ones from recent … I have various memories over the years including ones from recent films...although Transformers had a mixed reaction I thought it was a great film to see at the cinema, even from the moment you see Blackout in the menacing form of a Pave Low IV coming over the horizon with the low sun then landing at the base and transforming into his robot form.If I had to choose one moment it would be watching First Contact, I went when I was on study leave (prelims were done) which meant I pretty much had the cinema to myself. The opening sequence was just stunning at the cinema with the federation fleet duellingn it out with the Borg cube.John

I have Transformers pre-ordered ages ago on its way. My son went to see it with his dad and they both said it was the best movie they had seen at the cinema. IMO that faced some tough competition. I just hope its good enough on my new hd. Cinema experience is totally different though.

I loved Short Circuit...............number 5 is ALIVE!!!!!

Original Poster Banned

hottoshop

"Saturday Morning at the Pictures" I remember it well !Flash GordonThe … "Saturday Morning at the Pictures" I remember it well !Flash GordonThe Lone RangerLoads of other B features that in retrospect were really awful.It was sixpence (a tanner) to get in and got us out of our parents hair for a few hours, cheap !The first film I took a girl to see was My Fair Lady ! Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn. We both enjoyed the film more than each other I think, LOL.

I agree that money for the cinema was money well spent by any parent a long time ago.

What a great date film. There wasn't much that good in my teenage years.

Original Poster Banned

Syzable

I loved Short Circuit...............number 5 is ALIVE!!!!!

PMSL Johnny five:giggle:

Prissymiss

I have Transformers pre-ordered ages ago on its way. My son went to see … I have Transformers pre-ordered ages ago on its way. My son went to see it with his dad and they both said it was the best movie they had seen at the cinema. IMO that faced some tough competition. I just hope its good enough on my new hd. Cinema experience is totally different though.

Bought it on HD-DVD and loved it - I think it's a film which really shows off HD as there's so much detail you can see in the Transformers themselves which are amazing models. There's also an extensive selection of extras including some a picture in picture feature which has various questions with the actors/actresses and showing how scenes were shot as the film goes along.

John

Omg i know the film!! I watched a film and i was addicted. So when it was released as a child i have memories of walking down every saturday to rent out a vhs. I always come back with THE GNOME MOBILES.
Every week.! My mum used to go mental saying CHOOSE another film! I never did! Only 3 weeks ago i searched on amazon for it and FOUND IT!! I bought the origional one AND they did a revamp one! I really recommed this film!
It takes me back to my child hood happy place!

Original Poster Banned

Johnmcl7

Bought it on HD-DVD and loved it - I think it's a film which really shows … Bought it on HD-DVD and loved it - I think it's a film which really shows off HD as there's so much detail you can see in the Transformers themselves which are amazing models. There's also an extensive selection of extras including some a picture in picture feature which has various questions with the actors/actresses and showing how scenes were shot as the film goes along.John

I look forward to it:-D I buy very few dvds.

Star Wars (the original film) and the first Superman. It just so happened that on the days both these films were first shown in Glasgow, our school heating packed up so we were all sent home. Virtually the whole school went to see Star Wars and nearly everybody in the que were from our school....

Our local community hall also used to show black & white films on Saturday mornings in the 70s for 5p entry fee....lots of Laural & Hardy and Randolph Scott cowboy movies...

Elephant man - saw that in Geneva whilst inter-railing. Apocalypse Now - last film I saw in Glasgow with my friends before moving south...

and I suppose I'd better mention the English Patient (first date with my wife!)

Funny how films and music have these connections with your life...

How about your first underage X certificate? Boys from Brazil...

Original Poster Banned

pcnutta

Omg i know the film!! I watched a film and i was addicted. So when it was … Omg i know the film!! I watched a film and i was addicted. So when it was released as a child i have memories of walking down every saturday to rent out a vhs. I always come back with THE GNOME MOBILES.Every week.! My mum used to go mental saying CHOOSE another film! I never did! Only 3 weeks ago i searched on amazon for it and FOUND IT!! I bought the origional one AND they did a revamp one! I really recommed this film!It takes me back to my child hood happy place!

You make me laugh. Reminds me of having to go to HMV in London to get Brave Little Toaster for my niece years ago.

I ordered the series of Eerie Indiano on dvd from abroad because of my love of it when younger. Now my dad and son love it. I have even found library books for my son. Oh happy days:-D

Original Poster Banned

gari189

Star Wars (the original film) and the first Superman. It just so … Star Wars (the original film) and the first Superman. It just so happened that on the days both these films were first shown in Glasgow, our school heating packed up so we were all sent home. Virtually the whole school went to see Star Wars and nearly everybody in the que were from our school....Our local community hall also used to show black & white films on Saturday mornings in the 70s for 5p entry fee....lots of Laural & Hardy and Randolph Scott cowboy movies...and I suppose I'd better mention the English Patient (first date with my wife!)

Remember seeing Superman.

The excitement of these films for the first time has never been matched.

Prissymiss

Remember seeing Superman.The excitement of these films for the first time … Remember seeing Superman.The excitement of these films for the first time has never been matched.

I suppose people have so much more entertainment available to them now that new film releases aren't such big events...

As a kid, I remember going to watch Three Ninjas... and getting kicked out without doing anything (in fact it was kids a few rows back who were misbehaving, not us - we were just trying to watch the film :x)

For my 13th birthday me and my best friend from school went to see Breaking Glass.it was a AA rated film and you had to be 14 to see it.

To be allowed to go out on our own was exciting enough,but we were scared about being refused entry.We were wearing so much make up,blue eyeshadow,rosy cheeks and pink lipstick,we looked like clowns,but at the time we thought we were so grown up!:oops: :giggle:

You cannot beat Star Wars first time round.....so memorable.

Went home and the next day mate & I cut the club heads off my dads golf drivers to use as lightsabres. Couldn't sit down for a week.. Worth it though.

Oh and Kellys heroes. Bit where they are going through the minefield and one unexpectedly blows up. Threw popcorn all over the cinema.

Does anyone remember CFF films? Used to show them at the Sat Matinees?.

Anyone remeber the song - think it was 'Saturday Cowboy' or something about a kid who used to get dressed up as a cowboy to go to the Cinema Sat am??

Showing age :oops:

went to see The never ending story when my mum was in hospital and I was staying with my gran. My big cousin took me. I still love that film and still cry when Artax dies.

I remember going to see Schindlers List and being so horrified I didn't know where to look. Everytime I looked round the cinema I would meat the eye of someone eles doing the exact same thing horror written on their faces. It was very moving and a sureel experiance

Remember curled up watching Petes dragon and The Gnome mobile after getting my tonsils out eating icecream.

jennybubbles

went to see The never ending story

I never liked that film - it was too long and never seemed to end :whistling:

Banned

Watching Top Gun with my mates in Cambridge cinema, and spending most of the time chatting to some hot girls in the row ahead of us. Got their numbers and had a great laugh (especially when someone would turn around and say sssshhhhhhhhhh! at us......I was only 15)

Also, taking my wife (girlfriend at the time) to see hackers, the first ever movie we saw together.

Also, watching the preview showing of Leathal Weapon 3 with my 2 Leathal Weapon mad mates, and them shouting 'Silver!' every time something exploded. (Joel Silver is the prducer of the Leathal Weapon movies)

Finally, absolutely hurting ever muscle in my stomach laughing so much at Naked Gun 2.

Edit: Just remembered queing round the block (about half a mile away from the cinema to see Grease, it was great!)

Ooooo, and coming out of Back to the Future 3 and purposely talking very loudly to my friend about how it ended, so those waiting in the queue to see the next show heard :giggle:

Banned

Mattitude

I never liked that film - it was too long and never seemed to end … I never liked that film - it was too long and never seemed to end :whistling:

How do you know she's not still watching it.....in fact you may be too....how do I know that you know that she knows!!! God will this never end?

UltimoScorpion

How do you know she's not still watching it.....in fact you may be … How do you know she's not still watching it.....in fact you may be too....how do I know that you know that she knows!!! God will this never end?

Probably not, hence the name :whistling:

Me and a load of mates singing along to 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' at the end of Life Of Brian at our local cinema when I was a lot younger

I remember watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the cinema when I was very little, and just about cacked me bags when the car flew off the edge of the cliff and the curtain came down for the interval....I'd never eaten an ice-lolly so fast in me life :-D

Seeing the 1st Alien was another brown striper ( if you know what I mean ) it was sooooo atmospheric and scary.

1st X cert I got into underage was Flesh Gordon..........PMSL now, I've just remembered the Penisaurus!!!

Recent films.....Beautiful Mind.....bit disturbing, and Knocked Up which I saw as a freebie from HUKD and I thought it was hysterical........and so did my kids who I took with me.

Banned

We were only 8 & our nan took us to see Herbie but something went wrong & we ended up watching Convoy ..... we were all highly impressed by the guy in the film who said 'sh1t'...little things :giggle:

I remember the first time I ever took a girl out on a date I was about 13 and She was about 15 .....After a few days racking my brains of where to go I decided on the cinema :idea:
We went to see "Where Eagles Dare"
Brilliant film and I never understood why she didn't come on a 2nd date with me :shock:

Mattitude

I never liked that film - it was too long and never seemed to end … I never liked that film - it was too long and never seemed to end :whistling:

Sorry guys was still watching that darn film!

tee hee - lots of people letting on their age...!

went to see the very first Friday 13th, and at the end when she is sitting in the boat, running her fingers gently thro the water, most folk got up to leave as they thought that was it.......as Jason suddenly launched himself out of the water half a dozen people screamed and fell forward on the steps...there were bodies everywhere...it was hilarious:giggle:

I have never left a film before the last rolling credits since!!

Seeing E.T. at the cinema because Pinocchio was full, and being absolutely terrified.

Being given a large Short Circuit II poster after watching the film.

Watching Almost Famous on my own in an empty cinema on a Tuesday afternoon - I'm certain the projectionist cranked the volume to 11 for me

Jurassic Park... Twice.

Doing something 'naughty' with a young lady whilst watching Sharks Tale, then running out the cinema together giggling.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad news about Barcelona2077
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764100
    3. How dangerous is Donald trump?911
    4. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam22

See more discussions