Green ads at base of Android 5.1 + wi-fi issue

Found 14th Aug 2017
I have an Android 5.1 tablet on which I've installed Netguard to block ads. It seems to do a decent job, but I am plagued by the little green footer ads for random games/apps that keep popping up - mainly on Google apps (Hangouts, Chrome etc) but also on Twitter and a few others.

Is there any way to block these? Are they caused by malware (MalwareBytes can't find any issue)?

Also, is there a way to make the wi-fi signal more reliable? I seem to be connected all the time, but quite often with no actual connectivity (wi-fi icon shows upload but no download arrows). I have to disconnect and reconnect to get access back.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading!
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
The best way to block ads is to root your device and install a firewall and other software.
If you don't want to root your device, the best starting point is to install a firewall that works without needing root.
Example: "NoRoot Firewall" play.google.com/sto…_GB
You should be able to block apps on a granular levels, so you can allow the app internet access, but block ads within the app.

WiFi:
I don't for certain, but try rebooting your device, if you don't reboot often.
Or maybe there's a Doze function running to try and save battery power??
Shatwell6 h, 41 m ago

The best way to block ads is to root your device and install a firewall …The best way to block ads is to root your device and install a firewall and other software.If you don't want to root your device, the best starting point is to install a firewall that works without needing root.Example: "NoRoot Firewall" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.firewall&hl=en_GBYou should be able to block apps on a granular levels, so you can allow the app internet access, but block ads within the app.WiFi:I don't for certain, but try rebooting your device, if you don't reboot often.Or maybe there's a Doze function running to try and save battery power??

Thanks for the reply. The device isn't rooted and can't be rooted easily (the one click solutions don't work). Even with a firewall, I'd need to know the address serving these ads in order to be able to block them. I was mainly wondering if everybody with a Lollipop device encounters these annoying green ads, as a "feature" of that version of Android. If that's not the case then it seems like some sort of malware, but I can't identify what it is. Any ideas most welcome.

The wi-fi seems to be an unwelcome "feature" of 5.1 according to a Google search, but there are no two people who agree on a solution. It's a minor irritant having to disconnect and reconnect (or reboot) so often, and if there's a surefire way to remedy it I'd be very grateful.
No version of Android involves ad pop ups, you've a rogue app somewhere that's causing them.
bynouk21 h, 18 m ago

No version of Android involves ad pop ups, you've a rogue app somewhere …No version of Android involves ad pop ups, you've a rogue app somewhere that's causing them.

Thanks. I think I've found the culprit, which is an app which can be uninstalled, but simply reinstalls itself within 20 minutes each time. Anyone have any idea how to work out what is triggering the reinstallation?

In the meantime I've blocked the app from any internet access at all and it seems to have stopped the ads.
Ferris1 m ago

Thanks. I think I've found the culprit, which is an app which can be …Thanks. I think I've found the culprit, which is an app which can be uninstalled, but simply reinstalls itself within 20 minutes each time. Anyone have any idea how to work out what is triggering the reinstallation?In the meantime I've blocked the app from any internet access at all and it seems to have stopped the ads.

What's the app?
Muir1 h, 5 m ago

What's the app?

It shows up as MediaService, posing as an Android system app (not as well as some malware manage to though, as they make themselves uninstallable without root access). I got this tablet used, and I have no idea if this app was present at the time I bought it or if I've somehow introduced it. It's weird how it manages to respawn even after being uninstalled.

It seems to grant itself a crazy level of access to everything via permissions too.
Edited by: "Ferris" 15th Aug 2017
Ferris2 m ago

It shows up as MediaService, posing as an Android system app (not as well …It shows up as MediaService, posing as an Android system app (not as well as some malware manage to though, as they make themselves uninstallable without root access). I got this tablet used, and I have no idea if this app was present at the time I bought it or if I've somehow introduced it. It's weird how it manages to respawn even after being uninstalled.

Have you tried resetting to factory settings?
Muir17 m ago

Have you tried resetting to factory settings?

No, not yet, but I guess that's going to be inevitable. I did try creating another profile, and the offending app is not installed by default on there.

However, as the tablet's not rooted I have no way of backing up my data, right?
Since it's been blocked from accessing the internet, Netguard is revealing the sites the fake app is trying to connect to - mainly Chinese ad servers a couple of times an hour. No more of the green ads either, which is good.

I'd still like to get rid of this malware altogether though, as I don't trust it sitting there with all the permissions it's granted itself even if it can't connect to the internet. I noticed in the Android Account settings there's one about backing up all app data to the Google servers ready to be restored upon reinstallation after a factory reset. Does this work? Anyone had any success with it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants