Found 17th Sep 2009
I wonder if any gardeners could give me advice ,I have loads of tomatoes in my greenhouse ,they are all green and I wondered if it is just sunshine that ripens them or if I should put a little heater in during the night ,would that help as well

Thankyou for any advice

14 Comments

gonna be too late soon, they'll startr ruining! Think it's gonna be sunny till Monday, after that i'd pick them and put them in a brown paper bag in the dark and they'll ripen up well.

Banned

take out of greenhouse and put in sunlight

Original Poster

SunTzu;6316442

gonna be too late soon, they'll startr ruining! Think it's gonna be sunny … gonna be too late soon, they'll startr ruining! Think it's gonna be sunny till Monday, after that i'd pick them and put them in a brown paper bag in the dark and they'll ripen up well.

Thankyou I will do that, this is the first time i have grown them and thought they would just go red with the sun but they havn't

Original Poster

sassie;6316457

take out of greenhouse and put in sunlight

The sun is on the greenhouse at the moment but when it moves round I will keep them in the sun thankyou

This happens to us every year and the best option is to now remove the leaves to get maximum light to the toms or you could remove them all and make Green Tomato Chutney as we do each year.

Goog old google

Harvest regularly. For each of these methods, always check regularly. If you can, pick green tomatoes that have a tinge of color at the blossom end and feel a little softer than the solid young fruits.[1] If you pick them any earlier than this, they will not have matured and thus will not ripen at all. Cook immature green tomatoes as is.

If you're not sure whether your green tomatoes are mature, cut a questionable tomato in half--if it has yellowish interiors and jelly-like or sticky tissue, it is mature enough to ripen.[2] Obviously, the one that you cut in half won't ripen, but observing how it looks on the outside will give you an idea of what to look for with green tomatoes on the vine.

If you know there's a frost coming that will ruin all of the tomatoes, don't pick individual tomatoes; lift the entire plant out of the ground, making sure that some roots are still attached. Shake off as much dirt as you can and hang it upright in a dry, sheltered location, such as the garage. Avoid extremes (direct sunlight, total darkness). The tomatoes will still ripen almost as well as they would have on the vine.[3]

Original Poster

mikebike;6316506

This happens to us every year and the best option is to now remove the … This happens to us every year and the best option is to now remove the leaves to get maximum light to the toms or you could remove them all and make Green Tomato Chutney as we do each year.

Right i'm off to do that now thankyou

take the leaves off I mean

Banned

jeany123;6316495

The sun is on the greenhouse at the moment but when it moves round I will … The sun is on the greenhouse at the moment but when it moves round I will keep them in the sun thankyou

giggling at visualising you moving round the garden with them

Supermod

The definitely need the sunlight.

Also, make sure the tomatoes dont "overlap" with eachother as this causes them to grow abnormally and most importantly bruise and waste.

i saw on tele a hippy guy who had green tomatoes he put banana next to them both in the sun and the chemicals that came off the banana made the tomato ripen quicker!
worth a go.

Original Poster

sassie;6316532

giggling at visualising you moving round the garden with them

magicjay1986;6316553

The definitely need the sunlight. Also, make sure the tomatoes dont … The definitely need the sunlight. Also, make sure the tomatoes dont "overlap" with eachother as this causes them to grow abnormally and most importantly bruise and waste.

LOL I think I have bitten off more than I can chew here, I got too enthusiastic and planted all the ones that grew I think i should have thrown away the small ones :-D

Banned

jeany123;6316658

LOL I think I have bitten off more than I can chew here, I got too … LOL I think I have bitten off more than I can chew here, I got too enthusiastic and planted all th ones that grew I think i should have thrown away the small ones :-D

both of my parents have struggled with tomoatoes this year, my father threw loads and mum says they aint ripening, i say every year im gonna try, and never do, although one year i grew peas, never enough for a meal but the kids loved eating them straight off the plant

Original Poster

Thankyou for all your help everybody
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Consumer Rights - Wrong Description of Fridge12
    2. Headphones for Ps4?11
    3. Best place to get Euro's... this Wednesday?1019
    4. Lost my CEX membership Card?22

See more discussions