Greetings all! :)

Posted 14th Sep
Dear all,

I am coming over from myDealz.de as a German for my Undergraduate studies to the UK. I look forward to it. MyDealz - is a substantial part of my life when it comes to finding the best deals and making decisions when/what to buy. This way, I wanted to introduce myself and pose some questions regarding my arrival to the UK.

I will commence studying in London and as per my understanding, my German SIM Card will still work in the UK - until December 2020 or longer? Also, as a Berliner, who will commute between the two countries a lot (now due to Corona probably less), what SIM Card with data should I get? I read there are cashback schemes; however, one would need to send the receipts to another company? How would this work?

For TfL - as I understood, I can get a Student card, right? :-)

What bank account would you suggest me? HSBC seemed to be quite interesting. Also, I was thinking of getting the AMEX Platinum with the 25 GBP annual fee for the cashback, as I will be paying tuition and the (very, very expensive) housing fees in London (what is wrong with your housing prices - LOL). ;-)

I look forward to becoming part of this community, while staying active on myDealz.de as well!

Cheers or bis bald, as we say!
Community Updates
Introduce Yourself
16 Comments
Welcome @BerlinerInLondon

Hope you will enjoy the site as much as Mydealz

Best of luck with your studies.

Hope you have a great time here.
Hi @BerlinerInLondon welcome! There’s members much more knowledgable than myself on your questions, but wanted to stop by and say hi!

Enjoy your time here with us
Hi BerlinerInLondon, willkommen bei HUKD!

Check out MoneySavingExpert.com. You should hopefully find most of your needs on there, including which mobile provider to go with though I’m sure people on here will most likely be able to recommend a good one.

moneysavingexpert.com/

You could also consider joining their forums section too if you require any further help.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/
I doubt if anyone accepts tuition fees and housing expenses on a credit card.
Afternoon,where's your photo id ?
If you are looking for a debit bank account then Starling is pretty good. You can open a euro and GBP account that is tied to the same card if you are needing something like that.
Hey everyone! It's great to hear from you and thank you for welcoming me so joyously.
myusernamehasgone23414/09/2020 07:44

Welcome @BerlinerInLondon Hope you will enjoy the site as much …Welcome @BerlinerInLondon Hope you will enjoy the site as much as MydealzBest of luck with your studies. Hope you have a great time here.

itslindsho14/09/2020 07:51

Hi @BerlinerInLondon welcome! There’s members much more knowledgable than m …Hi @BerlinerInLondon welcome! There’s members much more knowledgable than myself on your questions, but wanted to stop by and say hi! Enjoy your time here with us

LemonHead14/09/2020 08:36

Hi BerlinerInLondon, willkommen bei HUKD! (highfive)Check out …Hi BerlinerInLondon, willkommen bei HUKD! (highfive)Check out MoneySavingExpert.com. You should hopefully find most of your needs on there, including which mobile provider to go with though I’m sure people on here will most likely be able to recommend a good one.https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/You could also consider joining their forums section too if you require any further help.https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/

LemonHead14/09/2020 08:36

Hi BerlinerInLondon, willkommen bei HUKD! (highfive)Check out …Hi BerlinerInLondon, willkommen bei HUKD! (highfive)Check out MoneySavingExpert.com. You should hopefully find most of your needs on there, including which mobile provider to go with though I’m sure people on here will most likely be able to recommend a good one.https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/You could also consider joining their forums section too if you require any further help.https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/

Hey, LemonHead! Thank you so much for the links! I will be sure to check them out.
AW007914/09/2020 13:28

Afternoon,where's your photo id ?

Done! ;-)
Hello, good evening and welcome in the UK.
Your English is perfect.
Another tip for your on-line purchases : you can join TopCashback.co.uk or Quidco.com (or both) and you will receive some cashback, a different % for every retailer, on your on-line shopping. Also available for buying SIM cards, train tickets, flight bookings etc.
And they have sometimes games where you can win, if lucky, some cash money. Good fun.

Best of luck with your studies.
paulleen14/09/2020 21:03

Hello, good evening and welcome in the UK.Your English is perfect. …Hello, good evening and welcome in the UK.Your English is perfect. Another tip for your on-line purchases : you can join TopCashback.co.uk or Quidco.com (or both) and you will receive some cashback, a different % for every retailer, on your on-line shopping. Also available for buying SIM cards, train tickets, flight bookings etc. And they have sometimes games where you can win, if lucky, some cash money. Good fun. Best of luck with your studies.

More info can be found here.
paulleen14/09/2020 21:03

Hello, good evening and welcome in the UK.Your English is perfect. …Hello, good evening and welcome in the UK.Your English is perfect. Another tip for your on-line purchases : you can join TopCashback.co.uk or Quidco.com (or both) and you will receive some cashback, a different % for every retailer, on your on-line shopping. Also available for buying SIM cards, train tickets, flight bookings etc. And they have sometimes games where you can win, if lucky, some cash money. Good fun. Best of luck with your studies.

Hey, paulleen thank you so much for that! I will check out the two named websites.

Thank you once again!!
BerlinerInLondon15/09/2020 23:54

Hey, paulleen thank you so much for that! I will check out the two …Hey, paulleen thank you so much for that! I will check out the two named websites. Thank you once again!!

No problem, every little helps. And you will see this a lot on this website from HUKD.
TCB and QUIDCO: now you know what we are talking about.
Hey! I hope you guys are doing well! Tomorrow is the big day - I‘ll be moving to the UK. As I do have a lot of luggage, does anyone perhaps know if there are any coupons/offers for current cab companies (UBER, Free NOW etc)? If not, is there a company you would recommend?
Cheers!
BerlinerInLondon21/09/2020 16:25

Hey! I hope you guys are doing well! Tomorrow is the big day - I‘ll be …Hey! I hope you guys are doing well! Tomorrow is the big day - I‘ll be moving to the UK. As I do have a lot of luggage, does anyone perhaps know if there are any coupons/offers for current cab companies (UBER, Free NOW etc)? If not, is there a company you would recommend?Cheers!

Uber code NEWRIDER25
Post a comment
@
    Text