Groups

Gretna Green!!!

Anyone ever married there?
    Been looking and it seems the best option for us as we are on a tight budget. The packages are perfect.

So just wondered what peoples views are?

37 Comments

unsurprisingly never been married but on the few occaisions I've had the misfortune to pass through gretna I'd say don't do it, the place is a dive including the marrige place.

Banned

Hun your wedding day will be what you make it no matter where it is,

If the package is good for you then go for it!!! :-D :-D

I cant wait to get married, its so bloomin expensive though :x xxx

Banned

Considering there's a 50/50 shot you'll get divorced, does it really matter that much?

Banned

student_mummy;6221964

go away!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :xDo you really have nothing better to do, how … go away!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :xDo you really have nothing better to do, how sad!

It's a fact of marriage. Sorry, but I'm just questioning whether it's worth it.

If you dont mind getting married in a mini Blackpool then this should be fine (its very commercial and not to everyones taste)

Original Poster

ants97;6221910

unsurprisingly never been married but on the few occaisions I've had the … unsurprisingly never been married but on the few occaisions I've had the misfortune to pass through gretna I'd say don't do it, the place is a dive including the marrige place.

thanks for the tip. Looks like I will need to look into it more.
    student_mummy;6221929

Hun your wedding day will be what you make it no matter where it is, If … Hun your wedding day will be what you make it no matter where it is, If the package is good for you then go for it!!! :-D :-DI cant wait to get married, its so bloomin expensive though :x xxx

Thanks hun! I know soooo expensive, I couldnt spend 10k+ like some do. Would take me my whole life to pay back!!

FilthAndFurry;6221951

Considering there's a 50/50 shot you'll get divorced, does it really … Considering there's a 50/50 shot you'll get divorced, does it really matter that much?

Why do you think I want it cheap :w00t:
    Seriously though I just want a nice day and I am happy to take that chance.

ive seen someone else's pics and it looks very nice

I have attended a couple of weddings at gretna-honest opinion is that its a kinda "kiss me quick" type wedding if you get my drift. Extremely tacky. Its like getting married in the church of elvis presley in las vegas.

Once upon a time it was quiet and romantic and used a lot by young couples eloping-now its just a by the numbers conveyor belt-not romantic or personal in any way at all.

If its something you have set your heart on then by all means but you asked for an honest opinion so thats my tuppenceworth.

Put your question on the forums at hitched.co.uk - you'll get a much more informed response

Original Poster

student_mummy;6221964

go away!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :xDo you really have nothing better to do, how … go away!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :xDo you really have nothing better to do, how sad!

He is miserable isnt he :-D

skusey;6221987

If you dont mind getting married in a mini Blackpool then this should be … If you dont mind getting married in a mini Blackpool then this should be fine (its very commercial and not to everyones taste)

Tell me more, what do you mean? I really havn't looked into it, I wanted peoples views, is it really that bad? :?

[SIZE="5"]It looks very special[/SIZE]:-D
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk10/pauls7010/3473-1.jpg

Original Poster

barky;6222020

I have attended a couple of weddings at gretna-honest opinion is that its … I have attended a couple of weddings at gretna-honest opinion is that its a kinda "kiss me quick" type wedding if you get my drift. Extremely tacky. Its like getting married in the church of elvis presley in las vegas.Once upon a time it was quiet and romantic and used a lot by young couples eloping-now its just a by the numbers conveyor belt-not romantic or personal in any way at all.If its something you have set your heart on then by all means but you asked for an honest opinion so thats my tuppenceworth.

I havnt set my heart on it, I am open to suggestions tbh, Money is the issue & time. With 2 young kids I havnt got the time to organise everything or thousands to spend. Thanks for your input I appreciate it :thumbsup:
    freccle;6222023

Put your question on the forums at hitched.co.uk - you'll get a much more … Put your question on the forums at hitched.co.uk - you'll get a much more informed response

I would say get married there. A friend from work did and said it was great. Why spend 10000+ on a wedding? stupid stupid stupid

Original Poster

skusey;6222042

[SIZE="5"]It looks very special[/SIZE]:-D

beautiful :giggle:

4lyons09;6222026

He is miserable isnt he :-DTell me more, what do you mean? I really … He is miserable isnt he :-DTell me more, what do you mean? I really havn't looked into it, I wanted peoples views, is it really that bad? :?

no, I was joking, the place looks ok to be honest, go for it
    (if you dont like it, you can always renew your vows later and have it somewhere else!!)

Original Poster

diamondnine;6222049

I would say get married there. A friend from work did and said it was … I would say get married there. A friend from work did and said it was great. Why spend 10000+ on a wedding? stupid stupid stupid

I know the only reason I thought of gretna is the money issue, I havnt got thousands to spend sadly but want a day to remember :thumbsup:

FilthAndFurry;6221982

It's a fact of marriage. Sorry, but I'm just questioning whether it's … It's a fact of marriage. Sorry, but I'm just questioning whether it's worth it.

It's clearly worth it for those who enjoy a happy and fulfilling marriage.

Clown.

moob;6222101

It's clearly worth it for those who enjoy a happy and fulfilling … It's clearly worth it for those who enjoy a happy and fulfilling marriage.Clown.

My oldest son was married in june to his american girlfriend in philadelphia zoo-they hire it out for weddings-it cost her parents twenty thousand dollars!! Was obviously a great day for them and for us but I just cant help feeling that the money would have been better spent on getting their new home organised,buying furniture etc.

When they came back to Scotland we hired a glasgow nightclub for the evening,laid on a buffet with champagne on arrival for 150 people-total cost to us-1200 quid and being totally honest that was a FAR better night than the one in philadelphia.

My point being-its not about how much you spend,its about it being YOUR day and sharing it with the people you want to be there.

Not personally been to a wedding at Gretna so can't comment upon it. Looks okay in photo's. My daughters friend is getting married there next year. If you are on a budget there was a link on HUKD fr £999 Weding deals at Britannia Hotels, which included the wedding breakfast and evening buffet. Then you could get married a bit closer to home maybe. Not all guests appreciate travelling to Gretna in addition to the cost of an outfit and gift. It maybe worth while having a weekend break up at Gretna and go watch a couple of the weddings and have a tour around. My Uncle got married there a few years ago before it got too fashionable and mainly did it because they wanted a quiet wedding with not many guests, which is exactly what he achieved and only told us all about it after the event.

Banned

moob;6222101

It's clearly worth it for those who enjoy a happy and fulfilling … It's clearly worth it for those who enjoy a happy and fulfilling marriage.Clown.

As opposed to those who get married with the intention of getting divorced?

I'd say rather than spending money on a wedding in an effort to conform to some stereotype/try and impress 'friends', have a cheap wedding, a nice party and do something special.

Banned

4lyons09;6222077

I know the only reason I thought of gretna is the money issue, I havnt … I know the only reason I thought of gretna is the money issue, I havnt got thousands to spend sadly but want a day to remember :thumbsup:

have you heard about the £999 wedding package from holiday inn (i think)

It looked like quite a good deal xxx

Banned

4lyons09;6222077

I know the only reason I thought of gretna is the money issue, I havnt … I know the only reason I thought of gretna is the money issue, I havnt got thousands to spend sadly but want a day to remember :thumbsup:

You should do something special then.....

like committing to spending the rest of your life with the person you apparently love
    :roll:

Original Poster

thanks for all your input everyone, just had a look at the £999 deal its great but not what we are after, we want something low key with close family and not a big party as my family is complicated and will end up in WW3 if I dont invite some and then some dont get on, you know what its like :roll:

will leave some rep for those that have helped.

Banned

4lyons09;6222226

thanks for all your input everyone, just had a look at the £999 deal its … thanks for all your input everyone, just had a look at the £999 deal its great but not what we are after, we want something low key with close family and not a big party as my family is complicated and will end up in WW3 if I dont invite some and then some dont get on, you know what its like :roll:will leave some rep for those that have helped.

Good luck with it:thumbsup:

FilthAndFurry;6222180

You should do something special then.....like committing to spending the … You should do something special then.....like committing to spending the rest of your life with the person you apparently love:roll:

Isn't that why the OP is asking what Gretna is like? So that they can make that commitment?

FilthAndFurry;6222156

As opposed to those who get married with the intention of getting … As opposed to those who get married with the intention of getting divorced?I'd say rather than spending money on a wedding in an effort to conform to some stereotype/try and impress 'friends', have a cheap wedding, a nice party and do something special.

I really don't think that huge a number of people get married with the intention of getting divorced - that's just a stupid thing to say.

Some people wish to have a ceremony befitting of their intention to live the rest of their lives together - that costs money, although I don't subscribe to those who adhere to the train of though on spending ridiculous sums of money on the event.

Clearly, from your opinions, it's not for you - although one could postulate as to whether that's a matter of choice on your part - or merely circumstantial.

Banned

Ohh hun, just been looking at the deals and the ones at the castle look brilliant!!

gretnaweddings.co.uk/ven…tml

We were planning to go abroad but i dont think my grandparents would cope well with the long flights so I am seriously considering this now. We want to be married asap so that my whole family can see us get married (morbid I know :-( ) xxx

Plus, this way everyone can come (well those we want to invite anyways :p) without it costing too much and we can have 2 weeks abroad ourselves with the girls for our honeymoon :-D

Were just planning a small, family only wedding too xxx

Ive been there once. Not to get married. I remember there was a massive shopping outlet not to far away!. I was suprised by how comercial it seemed. It did not seem romantic to me at all. But then im a bloke! Good luck with whatever you decide.

I must add thought that it doesnt matter where you get married or what you spend its the occasion rather than all the stuff that goes with it!

I went to a wedding at a zoo in Norfolk recently, expecting it to be, to be honest, tacky but it was superb! Everything done on a budget. They did their own catering and own bar etc and it was a fantastic day.
    Also I think it's Marriott hotels who are doing 2010 weddings for £2010 for sit down meal, evening buffet, first night in hotel etc.

Original Poster

student_mummy;6222247

Ohh hun, just been looking at the deals and the ones at the castle look … Ohh hun, just been looking at the deals and the ones at the castle look brilliant!!http://www.gretnaweddings.co.uk/venues/comlongon-castle--13.htmlWe were planning to go abroad but i dont think my grandparents would cope well with the long flights so I am seriously considering this now. We want to be married asap so that my whole family can see us get married (morbid I know :-( ) xxxPlus, this way everyone can come (well those we want to invite anyways :p) without it costing too much and we can have 2 weeks abroad ourselves with the girls for our honeymoon :-DWere just planning a small, family only wedding too xxx

Love the look of the castle! How lovely.... I couldn't manage a big party or 100's of people there would spend all night going round speaking to people and no doubt a row would break out :w00t: would love to get married abroad but I hate planning things, want someone to do it all for me lol

leecroot;6222296

Ive been there once. Not to get married. I remember there was a massive … Ive been there once. Not to get married. I remember there was a massive shopping outlet not to far away!. I was suprised by how comercial it seemed. It did not seem romantic to me at all. But then im a bloke! Good luck with whatever you decide. I must add thought that it doesnt matter where you get married or what you spend its the occasion rather than all the stuff that goes with it!

The outlet looks fab! ^^ totally agree with you there

freccle;6222331

I went to a wedding at a zoo in Norfolk recently, expecting it to be, to … I went to a wedding at a zoo in Norfolk recently, expecting it to be, to be honest, tacky but it was superb! Everything done on a budget. They did their own catering and own bar etc and it was a fantastic day. Also I think it's Marriott hotels who are doing 2010 weddings for £2010 for sit down meal, evening buffet, first night in hotel etc.

Wow thats good for them as they are expensive, thats an unusual one in a zoo, never heard of that before, as long as they enjoyed it thats all that matters isnt it : )

4lyons09;6222364

Love the look of the castle! How lovely.... I couldn't manage a big party … Love the look of the castle! How lovely.... I couldn't manage a big party or 100's of people there would spend all night going round speaking to people and no doubt a row would break out :w00t: would love to get married abroad but I hate planning things, want someone to do it all for me lolThe outlet looks fab! ^^ totally agree with you thereWow thats good for them as they are expensive, thats an unusual one in a zoo, never heard of that before, as long as they enjoyed it thats all that matters isnt it : )

I think you just hit the nail on the head...If you enjoy it...that's all that matters

4lyons09;6222226

thanks for all your input everyone, just had a look at the £999 deal its … thanks for all your input everyone, just had a look at the £999 deal its great but not what we are after, we want something low key with close family and not a big party as my family is complicated and will end up in WW3 if I dont invite some and then some dont get on, you know what its like :roll:will leave some rep for those that have helped.

We got married for under 2k.
    Went to registry office in the morning for the declaration, then hired a Workingmens club for afternoon & evening and done the whole ceremony there!
    My wife is a churchgoer, so we had the Pastor there do the service.

We laid on a buffet for afternoon guests (Family & close friends) which we did ourselves, and leftovers were for the evening! ;-)

We did save money on a car & entertainment tho. My Dad owns classic cars and his friend owed him a favour, so thats how we got the car (Model T Ford)
    I have my own disco, so got my friend to do that. I also work with people who have a 5 piece band, so they offered their services! :thumbsup:

Good luck with what ever you decide upon.

I've been to a wedding at the Blacksmiths in Gretna and it was amongst the best weddings I've been to...

Original Poster

thanks for your replies all, think we will go for it seems the best place for a quiet wedding on a budget, there will only be 8-10 guests, dont want anymore than that
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions