Grippiest 24 x 2.35 inch tyre for ebike?

Posted 20th JanEdited by:"Mr_Gus"
Dropping down gears & braking from 18mph to 12 mph (& less ...5 mph) my pre-existing tyres aren't gripping in the turn on regular transfers road surfaces making late evening drizzle, damp conditions untenable from a bike, ..IE I dropped it twice whilst exercising my trashed knee, getting cardio up & have trashed (too much lateral movement currently) the other knee, which took its toll whilst snowboarding over Xmas & is still having to be lifted in/ out of vehicles ...February before I can see doctor for a simple referral !

Obviously I'd be a fool not to address tyre inadequacies, therefore am looking for the grippiest tyres to give better grip in both turns & set winter conditions.

I'd appreciate some suggestions based on experience, this is entirely road bike work on a heavy hybrid (not suitable for anything beyond a decent track) bike, not my mtb, daughter uses it for general riding locally & myself for racking up miles of low impact exercise repair & injured muscle maintainence.
Currently the tyres are what came with the bike, so low noise commuter type thing, ..not up to the job.

Bike is rear hub, heavy German frame, A2B "obree" variant.

It's not stopped me riding, now wearing two knee braces not just the one, but dropping into tarmac again will rip more leg muscle & tendon & destabilise it further, ..best avoided, likely they'll want to repack the knee otherwise.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

2 Comments
I would be surprised if anyone has any experience with this tyre size as it's very unusual, I had a look at the tyres available to see if there were similar designs to the ones I've used but found very few actual 24x2.35 tyres. You've probably seen them but in case you haven't:

chainreactioncycles.com/tyr…727
tritoncycles.co.uk/com…125

I use straight slicks on my own road bikes and for my Mum's ebike which is on 700x45 tyres, she has this semi-slick tyre which she's had no issue with:

schwalbe.com/en/…lus

Are you thinking of going with a full on MTB tyre?

How exactly did you come off the bike?
Johnmcl720/01/2020 21:35

I would be surprised if anyone has any experience with this tyre size as …I would be surprised if anyone has any experience with this tyre size as it's very unusual, I had a look at the tyres available to see if there were similar designs to the ones I've used but found very few actual 24x2.35 tyres. You've probably seen them but in case you haven't:https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tyres/mtb-tyres?f=2258,4294958105,4294941727https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/tyres-c125#t233:t27:t229I use straight slicks on my own road bikes and for my Mum's ebike which is on 700x45 tyres, she has this semi-slick tyre which she's had no issue with:https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/energizer-plusAre you thinking of going with a full on MTB tyre? How exactly did you come off the bike?

Thanks for that, I was chewing over the crazy Bob's for the added "alleged" grip but have no idea how much I'll lose with them in terms of energy.
1st time was slowing for a turn across a triangular road setting (doubling back on myself) so pretty slow, roads dryish, light amount of most moisture.
Back end slid out taking me with it.

2nd time was only a few hundred metres away, within 5 minutes of the last fall.
Approaching a regular junction going much slower, almost stopped, low gear, final braking & off again same issue!

Painful & unfortunate result considering it was recovery exercise for the other knee.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants