Grocery deliveries for disabled people?

Posted 24th Mar
Can anyone recommend anywhere that actually has delivery spots for groceries. My mum is wheelchair bound and I'm not able to visit her due to her being high risk. I can't find anywhere that will deliver in the next three weeks. Sainsbury's says they prioritise disabled customers but I can't get through to them.

Edit - I live a few hundred miles away and don't own a car.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
I don't know the answer but hoping there's a good reply so it can help others in the same/similar boat.
Edited by: "Byno" 24th Mar
Delivery slots are like hens teeth, needs to be sorted!

Worse case scenario - Do a SAFE small shop for her and drop it off at her door step and make sure she wipes done every item with antibacterial wipes.
We have prioritised online delivery slots for elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers. We’ve already been able to identify some existing customers who are elderly, disabled and vulnerable through the information that we have about them and have emailed these customers. But we know that we haven’t been able to identify all of our vulnerable customers. If you’re elderly, disabled or vulnerable and think you should be on our vulnerable customer list, please get in touch on 0800 328 1700

sainsburys.co.uk/sho…n--

Although not ideal just persevere and try to keep calling them
Maybe try local wholesale delivery companies that usually deliver to businesses.
Can you drop them off on her porch? And wave from the window x
Similar situation cant get a delivery anywhere luckily i found a nice lady to deliver on the nextdoor app to my elderly nan as i live far from her after she delivered i transferred her the money and abit extra to compensate her even though she didnt want it perhaps you could try find something like this the lady was lovely we really have to try and pull together as the government should be doing more for those in need
Straycat196724/03/2020 16:18

Delivery slots are like hens teeth, needs to be sorted!Worse case scenario …Delivery slots are like hens teeth, needs to be sorted!Worse case scenario - Do a SAFE small shop for her and drop it off at her door step and make sure she wipes done every item with antibacterial wipes.

I live a few hundred miles away and I don't have a car so this will be quite awkward to do. My only idea is to courier a box of food over.
Simon24/03/2020 16:18

We have prioritised online delivery slots for elderly, disabled and …We have prioritised online delivery slots for elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers. We’ve already been able to identify some existing customers who are elderly, disabled and vulnerable through the information that we have about them and have emailed these customers. But we know that we haven’t been able to identify all of our vulnerable customers. If you’re elderly, disabled or vulnerable and think you should be on our vulnerable customer list, please get in touch on 0800 328 1700https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/working-to-feed-the-nation-/latest-information--Although not ideal just persevere and try to keep calling them

Weve both tried calling multiple times over today and yesterday. I appreciate that there is a system that's set up but it hasn't got the capacity.
What area is she in? I would offer to take her some groceries if she was local to me and I’m sure many others would, perhaps have a look online for a local support group in her area? Or if you don’t feel safe doing that (which I understand) then I’d call social services at her local council and ask if there are any services she can access. I really hope you get it sorted, I hate the thought of anybody being left without at such an uncertain and already worrying time.
Edited by: "ChelseaRae" 24th Mar
Google local small shops/independents near your moms postcode, if its just the basics she needs, hopefully they may have enough to get her by and be able to drop it off
Iceland are prioritising elderly and disabled customers. Might be worth checking if she can use them?
Try Iceland .

40178484-he0bm.jpg
One option might be to consider signing up to her local Facebook group and kindly asking if anyone know any organisation delivering in that area.
KemCol24/03/2020 17:55

Try Iceland .[Image]

I saw this on the Iceland website, no idea what the point of it is. Anyone can just click yes and say they're self-isolating.
May I ask how she normally gets shopping? Does she rely on home deliveries or does someone (who can't) do it for her? I heard a similar situation on the radio and their answer was to contact someone like Age UK, the local council (good luck!) or even the local Church Parish who have schemes in place for vulnerable people. They can put a volunteer in touch who could do shopping for her. Obviously, I don't know how old your Mum is but they might still be able to offer assistance as she is disabled.

ageuk.org.uk/ They will be able to advise you further if help is available.

It must be very stressful for you at this time trying to help her from a distance so I'm not going to say don't worry - that's silly. Just do what you can but also don't forget that YOU are also at risk too. Hard not to take risks when it's a loved one though, eh? I'd risk all for my Mum but it's not just her that's at risk...

Stay safe and kind regards to you (and your Mum!)

Phsy.
Phsycronix24/03/2020 18:41

May I ask how she normally gets shopping? Does she rely on home deliveries …May I ask how she normally gets shopping? Does she rely on home deliveries or does someone (who can't) do it for her? I heard a similar situation on the radio and their answer was to contact someone like Age UK, the local council (good luck!) or even the local Church Parish who have schemes in place for vulnerable people. They can put a volunteer in touch who could do shopping for her. Obviously, I don't know how old your Mum is but they might still be able to offer assistance as she is disabled.https://www.ageuk.org.uk/ They will be able to advise you further if help is available.It must be very stressful for you at this time trying to help her from a distance so I'm not going to say don't worry - that's silly. Just do what you can but also don't forget that YOU are also at risk too. Hard not to take risks when it's a loved one though, eh? I'd risk all for my Mum but it's not just her that's at risk...Stay safe and kind regards to you (and your Mum!)Phsy.

Normally her PA goes shopping with her but her PA has symptom so can't really do it. We'll try the council/other places.
Agaeti24/03/2020 19:10

Normally her PA goes shopping with her but her PA has symptom so can't …Normally her PA goes shopping with her but her PA has symptom so can't really do it. We'll try the council/other places.

Ah, ok. If it's an 'agency' PA - would they not have a substitute to cover for sickness/holiday etc? Anway, I hope you can get the assistance you need.

Good luck and best regards, Phsy.
Agaeti24/03/2020 19:10

Normally her PA goes shopping with her but her PA has symptom so can't …Normally her PA goes shopping with her but her PA has symptom so can't really do it. We'll try the council/other places.

They said they will send a form of communication out to all disabled people to help them get food. Maybe you can check if they have received it?
how does she normally get her groceries? does she go to the supermarket or someone get the groceries for her?

we had a leaflet dropped through the letterbox this afternoon about community support, where volunteers are helping the community. google if there is one where she lives and contact them to see if they can help to go to the shop for her.
Take a look at "Beelivery: Grocery Delivery"

beelivery.com/

Might be a suitable alternative?
Simon24/03/2020 16:18

We have prioritised online delivery slots for elderly, disabled and …We have prioritised online delivery slots for elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers. We’ve already been able to identify some existing customers who are elderly, disabled and vulnerable through the information that we have about them and have emailed these customers. But we know that we haven’t been able to identify all of our vulnerable customers. If you’re elderly, disabled or vulnerable and think you should be on our vulnerable customer list, please get in touch on 0800 328 1700https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/working-to-feed-the-nation-/latest-information--Although not ideal just persevere and try to keep calling them

This is only for England
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants