Group Interviews are Unfair!

Posted 3rd Nov
Group Interviews are unfair and puts people at a disadvantage.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Sorry you didn't get the job.

24 Comments
Sorry you didn't get the job.

GAVINLEWISHUKD03/11/2019 11:29

Sorry you didn't get the job.Feedback: Interviewee was very negative.

It's Sunday. I don't have my interview today.
What I'm saying is that group Interviews are very cliquish.
It's a buyer's market!
SouringSam03/11/2019 11:30

It's Sunday. I don't have my interview today.

Unless your interview is with God there is no reason why it couldn't be on a Sunday.

Anyway get to the point of why group interviews are unfair so you can be proved wrong!
Mostly it's crappy retail jobs that have "group" interviews. Where are you interviewing?
GAVINLEWISHUKD03/11/2019 11:35

Unless your interview is with God there is no reason why it couldn't be on …Unless your interview is with God there is no reason why it couldn't be on a Sunday. Anyway get to the point of why group interviews are unfair so you can be proved wrong!

You are probably one of the luckiest one.
I bet some interviewers racially profile you.
Oh and before this thread gets taken down, it's probably because of Brexit.
SouringSam03/11/2019 11:38

If they were to do that it being a group interview would make no difference.

Play the group interview to your advantage. Just be better than them.

Running a race with your competitors is far easier than running a race by yourself.
@SouringSam You said, "Group Interviews are unfair and puts people at a disadvantage."
You said, "What I'm saying is that group Interviews are very cliquish."
These bold expressions are very vague leaving us to boil the ocean because of lack of summary details.

1. Could you tell us any specific summary of what disadvantages they were put to everyone except for the one that got the job? For example, to illustrate what I mean by a specific summary: it could be the whole group is asked to do 50 press-ups, or take 3 telephone calls, or they watch you how you use knife and fork, or do an IQ and EQ test etc. ?
2. Could you tell us any summary of what very cliquish does to person A and to person B, A gets the job and B does not?
Whats a group interview?
SouringSam03/11/2019 11:38

You bet this is a known known. However, one is unable to change interviewers' prejudice, xenophobia, preference, racism, discrimination..etc. without evidence that could be used in court (civil or ciminal).
The only way to avoid this is, one goes for self-employment, then you have no interviewers to worry about, your valuable output , let the customers be the arbiter of your greatness and be fair to you (or not).
mas9903/11/2019 12:08

Whats a group interview?

Have you seen the film "Mad Max - Beyond The Thunderdome" ??? It's a bit like that but with several more people in the dome!

Whats a group interview?

It's a battle royale for a job.
I've only ever been to one group interview before. Hated it. Probably because it felt like I was at a guided tour/training seminar. I was actually more impressed by some of the other 'candidates' and joined in applauding their efforts and agreeing with their answers.

Needless to say: I didn't get the job = IDIOT.
Phsycronix03/11/2019 12:32

Have you seen the film "Mad Max - Beyond The Thunderdome" ??? It's a bit …Have you seen the film "Mad Max - Beyond The Thunderdome" ??? It's a bit like that but with several more people in the dome!

2 man enter one man leave.

Whats a group interview?

One positive function, amongst many, is to allow interviewer to see team work in reality as opposed to claiming: I am a team player in a CV.

Edit:

Another positive function of a group interview, if recorded on video for subsequent equality analyses, a fair manager can evaluate who are the consistent and persistent interviewers that abuse and discrimination able applicants who are the best.
Edited by: "splender" 3rd Nov
i have never been on a group interview but the firms i had worked for often have recruitment of graduates in this way where all the graduates have to attend a 2 days of interview together as a group where they are given exercises to do and the interviewer then determine who shines from the group. it is their way of picking out the white sheep from the black sheep. it is not easy to get a job this way as it means you have to outperform your peers but not come across as overly aggressive.

these sort of interviews tend to take place where there are great demands for the job and the candidate's experience is not of relevance so it is more how they perform amongst their peers. i don't think it is unfair but it is certainly difficult to get a job if you have to attend a group interview unless you tend to stand out in a crowd.

Whats a group interview?

an interview where more than one candidate is interviewed at the same time. it often involves group exercises so the interviewer can see who shines out of the group as they want to identify who is best at working in a group or leading a group. and who is not a team player.

if you watch the apprentice, that is effectively a group interview.
Edited by: "mutley1" 3rd Nov

Whats a group interview?

It's like group sex. Without the sex
One of my clients does group interviews for more of the admin and support jobs, simply because they get 50+ applicants and cba to interview one on one when they'll be working in a group anyway. Being able to fit in with our existing personnel is far more important than trying to fulfill some imaginary quota. Any chump can type.
ShishaGod03/11/2019 11:36

Mostly it's crappy retail jobs that have "group" interviews. Where are you …Mostly it's crappy retail jobs that have "group" interviews. Where are you interviewing?

I'm afraid that many very good jobs involve a Group Interview. Almost all airline pilot jobs require it. It can be a trial by fire, but there are training courses out there to help you and help on the internet. The tricky bit is identifying which 'competencies' the employer is looking for. It probably won't come as a shock that you will be judged on what you say and what you don't. Be careful with humour, in fact avoid it. I was on a training course recently, and a guy made a very very mild comment which could have been construed as sexist. He was debriefed in no uncertain terms that it would have killed his chances.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants