Expired

Groupon Hacked Again?

Found 7th Aug 2014
I haven't used groupon in over 7 months and took a call from my bank today, 4 transactions gone through over the last couple of days.

Tried to get into the groupon account and my password was not recognised (I'm 100% about the password). Tried resetting the password and nothing coming through!!! Anyone else had this lately and even if not check access to your groupon account.

Cheers
Sean
Community Updates
10 Comments
Not that Im aware of it seems fine here did you try typing your password in notepad and copy paste into the password box?
Did you try the support page groupon.co.uk/cus…ort
Edited by: "arachnoid" 7th Aug 2014
Original Poster
Hi arachnoid

Thanks for the reply. Definitely not a password issue on that front and been through the reset password process. Tried it 4hrs ago with nothing through and another email which isn't registered. The non registered mail address threw up a response that it wasn't in their system.

Cheers
When was the last time you ran an anti virus scan and a malware scan ? Seems that someone has your Groupon account and will have changed the primary email address. Contact Groupon and explain the situation.
maybe you need to use a more secure password
I got a call from my bank today. My groupon was hacked and hundreds of dollars in electronics were being purchased over a 2 day period. I tried to log onto groupon and it doesn't even recognize my e-mail address, so it looks like they were able to change that too.
Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies.

Now waiting for a refund from Groupon. The customer service team were pretty good but need to wait until my account is fully refunded within the time they have stipulated.
Dominatez

When was the last time you ran an anti virus scan and a malware scan ? … When was the last time you ran an anti virus scan and a malware scan ? Seems that someone has your Groupon account and will have changed the primary email address. Contact Groupon and explain the situation.

This is very good advice as well

Hi sdcurran, I work In a bank and often when we see customers who have been victims of fraud it turns out to be because something/someone has managed to get your details through a computer, below is some information that may help. You may already be aware of it but I thought I'd post it for you, hope your bank and Groupon is sorting it out for you.

Viruses, Trojans and other types of malware will often appear harmless, but in reality they’re a powerful force in search of your valuable data.

Malware refers to malicious software such as viruses and Trojans. Malware is often hidden in attachments and free downloads. It can log your keystrokes to steal your passwords and use them to access your online accounts.

Spyware and adware are viruses that are designed to spy on your online activity.

Protecting yourself against malware, spyware and adware

You’ve probably seen adverts popping up (pop-ups) on your device, telling you what products you might be interested in. Amazing, isn’t it? Or maybe, a little bit spooky. Some malicious forms of spyware and adware will steal data from your device, but most will simply bombard you with pop-ups. Spyware and adware are programs designed to spy on your online activity. Protect your devices and your personal information by installing anti-spyware software and keeping it up to date.

There are a number of things to look out for – these are:

Requests for too much information - Some malware activates when you sign in to your bank or building society. If you’re asked to enter all of your memorable information, close your browser and report it to us. Our sign in page will only ever ask you for three random characters of your memorable information.

Pop-ups and unusual screens - If an unfamiliar pop-up appears on your screen and asks for your personal information, close it down immediately.

Unwanted browser toolbars - Additional browser toolbars may look fun or useful, but they can be used to carry spyware or adware. If a new one appears that you didn’t install, it’s possible your device has become infected.

Your homepage looks different - Spyware and adware can cause your homepage or your search settings to change without warning.

Offline pop-ups - If pop-up adverts appear even when you’re offline, it’s a sure sign some spyware or adware is lurking behind them.

Here’s what you can do to reduce the chances of malware, spyware and adware infection:

Use anti-virus software Install anti-virus software and update it regularly.

Be choosy Think before you download files or programs. Ask yourself whether you can trust the source and whether the site looks genuine.

Take care when you pay Before making payments online, make sure the webpage is secure. Websites use a secure web address ‘https’ to secure the connection between you and them. To be sure you’re navigating to a genuine site, type the web address into your browser rather than clicking a link.

Install updates regularly Things are always changing, so it’s important to keep your operating system (e.g. Windows), Internet browser, applications (e.g. Adobe Acrobat, Java) and firewalls up to date.

Stay safe online Always use websites and programs you can trust. Secure websites display a padlock symbol usually at the top or bottom of the browser window. If you’re uncertain whether or not the site is secure, double click on the padlock to check its Security Certificate. You should also look for and read their Licence Agreements and Privacy Statements. Be sure of what you’re agreeing to before clicking ‘OK’ to proceed.
Original Poster
Cheers for the advice.

My box is always kept up to date, weekly scans using AV and anti malware software. Popup blockers, no add ons etc. As well as few other things that help security, not using wifi hot spots and so on and payments over SSL.

Thanks again for taking the time out to help.

I believe there have been reports in one or two printed media outlets about security breaches of their systems.
Original Poster
For anyone interested, I've just had my account refunded by Groupon. Their customer services were excellent and the speed of repayment was really quick.
sbcurran

For anyone interested, I've just had my account refunded by Groupon. … For anyone interested, I've just had my account refunded by Groupon. Their customer services were excellent and the speed of repayment was really quick.

That's good to know - hopefully they/the bank will also be able to get to the bottom of it and find the fraudsters as well
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions