Groups

groups and things to do for pensioners

evening
    just wondering if anybody could tell me how i find out about local and regular pensioners meetings and activities etc.

my Pap(grampy) died a few months ago and my Nan is a bit lost and lonely. we all visit often but i think she would like to make some new friends and be with people her own age who are more likely to have same interests and so on.
    tried looking online but couldn't find anything.where would be the best place to find this sort of information?
    thanks

14 Comments

Local Church would be the place to start.........they usually do stuff.

Local newspapers and local radio,local council offices and sports centres

get her to start collecting firewood for next winter

Original Poster

thank you both
    will check out the leisure centre,council and church tomorrow and see if they have anything.

Banned

Whatever you do, don't let her join HUKD or she'll probably get nudez from desperate members by PM! X)

Original Poster

lol @ guv X)

your local age concern will have a list of all clubs,luncheon clubs in your area,also the salvation army run weekly luncheon clubs n social evenings playin bingo,cards etc n also organise lovely day trips. i work for social services so if any help required? dont hesitate to message me.

My OH grandad goes to some groups called 'warm centres' which are for over 50's and they get lunch. He really likes it there and misses it on the days its not on

I don't know if that's just in their area but they are run by the council - try and look on your council's website

Banned

When my grandad died I got my gran a part-time job at her local charity shop and she loved it.

Also contacted these who put her in touch with a local luncheon club:-

ageuk.org.uk/

This information might also help:-

direct.gov.uk/en/…htm

Edited by: "DLM" 6th Jan 2011

Original Poster

thank you for all your help

Banned

tafflass

thank you for all your help

No problem.

Grandma's are lovely.

have you tried your local councils website?

check with her local neighbourhood bobby because there are often little oap groups kicking about which they may know about.

Banned

Your local library should have this kind of info
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Safest type of external hard drive?11
      2. Ask and Misc quieter since for sale has gone?914
      3. Clove.co.uk22
      4. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?44

See more discussions