Growing Fruits and Vegetables

Found 3rd Jul
Hi,

We are moving from a flat to a house with a garden and want to plant some fruits and vegetables.

I would like to grow some fruits and vegetables in the garden that doesnt require much to maintain.

I know herbs like rosemary and mint are easy to grow. Any other recommendations.
Community Updates
Ask
39 Comments
Spring onions are fairly easy to grow and still can be sown for harvest this year.
niceroundpound3 m ago

Spring onions are fairly easy to grow and still can be sown for harvest …Spring onions are fairly easy to grow and still can be sown for harvest this year.

Thanks! Forgive me for my ignorance, but would you recommend growing in a pot or soil?
They can be grown in both containers or in the ground, should take 6/8 weeks to grow.
Onions, potatoes, courgettes, chillies all easy enough but be careful with mint as it takes over so best in a pot
Bandicoot8 m ago

Onions, potatoes, courgettes, chillies all easy enough but be careful with …Onions, potatoes, courgettes, chillies all easy enough but be careful with mint as it takes over so best in a pot

Thanks for the tip. Any recommendations of what variety of chilli?
Most fruits and vegetables are easy to grow .
Its keeping the weeds down and the birds and slugs/snails away that is the difficult bit

Definitely put your mint in a container/large pot as it is extremely invasive and a *** to get rid of once its taken over part of your garden.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 3rd Jul
adamnsu21 m ago

Thanks for the tip. Any recommendations of what variety of chilli?

I’ve had success with a few look for a grafted one as they tend to produce more, I start them of indoors then slowly introduce them outdoors
How about strawberries and basil. Just plant a small one and see it spread. Only thing you need to be aware of is slugs they will eat all your crops.
Raspberries and blackcurrant are both easy. Just need cutting back once a year. Rhubarb is bomb proof and takes no looking after at all.
Carrots and beetroots, plant seeds in 6 rows, do a row of each every couple of weeks, this will give you plenty. Very easy to grow.If you get lots if beetroots, make beetroot brownies, mmmm. Also sprouts too, if you like them.
Whoaoh........ let's not eat before we can grow! You sound a novice at growing so take things easy or you'll get overwhelmed. As my home economics teacher preached to us in lessons, quality over quantity.
Why not try one thing, it may put you off being a gardener the effort you have to put in. On the other hand you may be naturally green fingered and do really well.
postmang3 m ago

Whoaoh........ let's not eat before we can grow! You sound a novice at …Whoaoh........ let's not eat before we can grow! You sound a novice at growing so take things easy or you'll get overwhelmed. As my home economics teacher preached to us in lessons, quality over quantity. Why not try one thing, it may put you off being a gardener the effort you have to put in. On the other hand you may be naturally green fingered and do really well.

That's why I suggested fruit bushes. They don't take much looking after once they've been planted
postmang11 m ago

Whoaoh........ let's not eat before we can grow! You sound a novice at …Whoaoh........ let's not eat before we can grow! You sound a novice at growing so take things easy or you'll get overwhelmed. As my home economics teacher preached to us in lessons, quality over quantity. Why not try one thing, it may put you off being a gardener the effort you have to put in. On the other hand you may be naturally green fingered and do really well.

Yes. I have no idea about gardening. I also don’t want to do so many things at once either.

I am quite grateful for everyone’s answers so far. I am reading on the Internet and taking suggestions too, but on blogs and websites you can’t always ask questions.

A colleague of mine told me raspberry and similar berries are difficult to maintain as clearing The unwanted fruit could get tricky
Fruit trees like apple (cox's orange pippin), cherry and pear can produce a large crop for very little effort. Probably best to get on a dwarf stock. Just don't plant them too close to your house or fences. Need to spray the apple against codling moth and net the cherry to save the fruit from squirrels and birds and prune when they get too big, and watch out for neighbours scrumping all the fruit. You can slice up and cook the excess apples and pears in a microwave and freeze them.
Rhubarb and Chives do well on their own. And blackberries of course, you often can't kill them even if you try.

Carrots and Potatoes are reliably tasty, but sometimes the fruit can be a little small.

Pea plants are a must. Just point them at the nearest wall.

You've got nut trees as well as fruit trees if you want something more permanent.
adamnsu55 m ago

Yes. I have no idea about gardening. I also don’t want to do so many t …Yes. I have no idea about gardening. I also don’t want to do so many things at once either. I am quite grateful for everyone’s answers so far. I am reading on the Internet and taking suggestions too, but on blogs and websites you can’t always ask questions.A colleague of mine told me raspberry and similar berries are difficult to maintain as clearing The unwanted fruit could get tricky

Raspberries aren't difficult if you know what type you have. some fruit on last year's wood(summer fruiting) and some on this year's wood (autumn fruiting) . Summer fruiting you cut all the old stems down in autumn and thin out to how many of the new stems as you want. Autumn ones you cut them right back and they will shoot up in the spring and fruit on those stems
I've grown potatoes,carrots,runner and broad beens,tomatoes,hot and sweet chillies.We also have a black and red currants in the garden which produce every year.
Grow what you like to eat, no point in growing things you don't actually like. Don't take on too much or you will find it too much. Depending on how much garden you have, consider doing it in stages so it does not become a chore.
Rose52 h, 21 m ago

Grow what you like to eat, no point in growing things you don't actually …Grow what you like to eat, no point in growing things you don't actually like. Don't take on too much or you will find it too much. Depending on how much garden you have, consider doing it in stages so it does not become a chore.

I agree with this, but would say that I don't think it's worth growing regular onions. The reason is that onions are so cheap to buy in the supermarket. By the time you have bought the onion sets, tendered to them and harvested them, you end up with about £1.50 worth of onions. Home grown almost always tastes better, but nobody really bus onions for the taste.

Peas, broad beans, sweetcorn, strawberries and tomatoes are all fairly easy and taste better than shop bought.
Spinach, parsley, mint, basil, beans, turnip, beetroot

Apple, pear, peach, grapes (if in the south), fig, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 3rd Jul
I can recommend Autumn fruiting raspberries, you get lots of fruit then you just cut them down in Winter, nothing else to do to them really. As others have said it's best to plant herbs in large pots to keep them contained.
Right now the weather is going to be harsh for most fruit and veg without you keep on top of the watering.
Personally I'd go down the salad leaves and radish route (pod radish if you want something different). Should get your first pickings of radishes within a month and thinnings of the salad leaves not long after.
Just make sure you keep on top of the watering as they'll bolt easily in this weather.
Depending on where you are you might be able to get a some tomatoes, cucumbers, peas and beans if the weather holds up, but really they need to be planted late spring.
Oriental greens are fast growing and easy, but they bolt easily in hot weather so your better leaving them till late August time.

Be careful with mint as it spreads like crazy.
Thanks to all again for your thoughts and ideas. I am quite impressed by the replies and your comments.

So from what I have gathered, growing spring onions, mint and chillies is quite easy.

As for blueberries and raspberries, is there any particular kind I could grow. Could someone provide recommendations of where I could buy the ones for these and a ball park figure of prices?
Most things on Aldi super 6 will be cheaper than growing your own, the point is..
Enjoying the fruits of your labour and the taste.
It's too late in the season for most things, apart from salad... but you said you are moving so you are not in yet?
Easy things to start with....
Winter onion sets (red taste great) plant October, ready next June or July, hardly any maintenance, just keep weed free. Fresh onion with salad in summer is the best, can't compare with supermarket rubbish.
Dwarf apple tree, variety...Scrumptious... very sweet red apples, small space lots of fruit.
Courgettes, one plant will last ages and produce lots. Plant and leave.
Potatoes, dig a hole shove it in, no maintenance apart from covering over the new growth when first starts to grow.
All easy and require little effort and bugs and birds should leave alone.
joedastudd8 m ago

Right now the weather is going to be harsh for most fruit and veg without …Right now the weather is going to be harsh for most fruit and veg without you keep on top of the watering.Personally I'd go down the salad leaves and radish route (pod radish if you want something different). Should get your first pickings of radishes within a month and thinnings of the salad leaves not long after.Just make sure you keep on top of the watering as they'll bolt easily in this weather.Depending on where you are you might be able to get a some tomatoes, cucumbers, peas and beans if the weather holds up, but really they need to be planted late spring.Oriental greens are fast growing and easy, but they bolt easily in hot weather so your better leaving them till late August time.Be careful with mint as it spreads like crazy.

Many thanks for your comments. I also found out that I cant plant many things this time of year. This will be like a stepping stone for me as I have not planted before. We plan to re do the garden early next year and plant other stuff.
adamnsu7 m ago

Thanks to all again for your thoughts and ideas. I am quite impressed by …Thanks to all again for your thoughts and ideas. I am quite impressed by the replies and your comments.So from what I have gathered, growing spring onions, mint and chillies is quite easy.As for blueberries and raspberries, is there any particular kind I could grow. Could someone provide recommendations of where I could buy the ones for these and a ball park figure of prices?

I've bought my plants from Wilko. £3 ish a plant.... no need to spend loads. Blueberry needs to go in a large pot as they need acid soil. You need the compost for this, which you can get from Wilkos .... Plant will take about 3 years to fully mature it will be about 3ft tall, I've had about 3/4 lb of fruit from a bush in the past... taste amazing.
Aldi fruit trees and plants are always good value and quality.
cideristhefuture3 m ago

I've bought my plants from Wilko. £3 ish a plant.... no need to spend …I've bought my plants from Wilko. £3 ish a plant.... no need to spend loads. Blueberry needs to go in a large pot as they need acid soil. You need the compost for this, which you can get from Wilkos .... Plant will take about 3 years to fully mature it will be about 3ft tall, I've had about 3/4 lb of fruit from a bush in the past... taste amazing. Aldi fruit trees and plants are always good value and quality.

Thats some great info! So prior to the 3 years I am guessing the fruit that grew wasnt sweet.

For your bluberries, other than watering does one need to cut it regularly and put compost regularly? Is it easy to clean up if the fruit falls from the tress or does it get messy?
You just won't get much fruit as it just needs to mature as with all fruit trees and bushes, unless you spend a fortune on mature plants from say Thompson and Morgan. Blueberry in a pot will need no maintaining apart from fresh compost on the top spring and June time, I've never cut mine apart from snapping off any dead twigs/ branches.
you will be watching the fruit ripen... it won't have chance to fall.
When you are ready next spring, an even better place to get cheap plants...
Google local allotments, they all have open days and plant sales, great place for an hour with the kids.
You will get really cheap fruit bushes, and free advice. This year...
I got pineapple and chocolate mint plants 20p each. Strawberries 50p, and anything else you can think of... and free coffee.
Lots of good suggestions here
one thing you can still do this year is dwarf beans and they will improve the soil

Asparagus takes a little bit of work initially and some patience but that is it then you just pick it for 20 plus years

Grow what you like but don't be afraid to try one or two new things you might find you like it fresh from the garden
(spinach here dead easy and I like it now !)
cideristhefuture32 m ago

You just won't get much fruit as it just needs to mature as with all fruit …You just won't get much fruit as it just needs to mature as with all fruit trees and bushes, unless you spend a fortune on mature plants from say Thompson and Morgan. Blueberry in a pot will need no maintaining apart from fresh compost on the top spring and June time, I've never cut mine apart from snapping off any dead twigs/ branches. you will be watching the fruit ripen... it won't have chance to fall.

Thanks for the elaborate answers. Really appreciate it
adamnsu1 h, 51 m ago

Thanks to all again for your thoughts and ideas. I am quite impressed by …Thanks to all again for your thoughts and ideas. I am quite impressed by the replies and your comments.So from what I have gathered, growing spring onions, mint and chillies is quite easy.As for blueberries and raspberries, is there any particular kind I could grow. Could someone provide recommendations of where I could buy the ones for these and a ball park figure of prices?

Have a look on Sutton’s website (you can use your local garden centre non chain ones for cheaper prices) but Sutton’s should give you an idea of what’s available and you can pick up their clearance items (I bought various fruit trees for £5 a tree last year and free delivery) only one didn’t survive out of 8 trees.

suttons.co.uk
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 4th Jul
I agree with a lot of the others star with a few herbs and salad leaves etc, chives, mint, rosemary, thyme, sage and curry plant are easy and will grow each year. Parsley is biannual so grows for 2 years before needing to be replaced, basil is a slug favourite and only grows for a year so best planted high if possible, hanging baskets of herbs are real nice.

Be careful of raspberries they grow like mint spreading underground quickly.
Blackcurrants are easier to grow than blueberries as can grow in most soils and once established you can get huge crops, the fruit grows on the last years growth.

Save seed from tomatoes, peppers etc you buy for next year, peppers and chilles needs starting early indoors for a crop in decent time. Runner beans mixed with other climbing beans are good to grow, you get various collars of flowers and pods plus they do not take to much room as can be grown up a trellis of wigwam of sicks.
cideristhefuture4th Jul

Aldi fruit trees and plants are always good value and quality.

We got an apple tree and cherry from Lidl a few years ago, they were pretty good value too, had a decent sized crop of Cox's after just two years. Wish we'd bought a second cherry tree though.
What do you guys think of lemon trees?
adamnsu2 h, 1 m ago

What do you guys think of lemon trees?

I don't think you can grow lemon trees outdoors in the UK, do you have the space indoors and inclination to water them for most of the year?
EndlessWaves1 h, 3 m ago

I don't think you can grow lemon trees outdoors in the UK, do you have the …I don't think you can grow lemon trees outdoors in the UK, do you have the space indoors and inclination to water them for most of the year?

No we dont have space. but I think I can cross that off my list
Small update. Noticed that the previous owner of the house has a blackberry crop already there but not much fruit on it. I did the bad mistake of taking a red one as it was quite bitter.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants