Grrr - why on ebay do buyers moan about postage when it is quoted upfront?!

Found 21st Nov 2009
Why would you moan in feedback after you receive something if the postage is fully quoted on the listing?

Just had a second low feedback score on p&p charges which are clearly quoted and a reasonable flat rate for as many items as you like .............grrrrr!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
32 Comments

Banned

Because they want the item at any cost? I give 1 star to people who charge over the top postage anything more than £2.50 is ripping the customer off for stuff like DVD's, CD's and small items

Maybe when they actually get the item and see how much postage is on it do they realise they have been overcharged. I hate it when sellers do that

Original Poster

not really is very boring (& quite heavy) utility item, some people just buying 1 at a time & then moaning about the postage ... I just don't get it

Original Poster

pinkkitty2007;6954736

Maybe when they actually get the item and see how much postage is on it … Maybe when they actually get the item and see how much postage is on it do they realise they have been overcharged. I hate it when sellers do that

I hate that too, the items weigh 500g each (so pretty heavy) & go out in new jiffy bag too, and we charge £3 flat rate postage for as many as they like, Royal Mail website quoting £1.85 per parcel. Most people buy anywhere between 2 - 4 at a time, but some people have been buying just one & I reckon they are then leaving bad feedback on the P&P...

lumoruk;6954725

Because they want the item at any cost? I give 1 star to people who … Because they want the item at any cost? I give 1 star to people who charge over the top postage anything more than £2.50 is ripping the customer off for stuff like DVD's, CD's and small items

If the P+P price is too high, then don't buy it, chances are there are a few hundred or thousand other choices where the P+P price is lower. You don't go and buy an item and then say it's too expensive, if the item arrives in a careless way such as without padding or something that can damage the item in any way then that would be a reason to neg a seller.

pinkkitty2007;6954736

Maybe when they actually get the item and see how much postage is on it … Maybe when they actually get the item and see how much postage is on it do they realise they have been overcharged. I hate it when sellers do that

But for sellers they get chopped to bits by fees, there is Ebay fees (around 10%, listing fee, Paypal fee) and so i would say the seller is entitled to a few pennies extra to cover the cost of all this.

Original Poster

bossyboots;6954766

so how much was actual postage incl packaging on this item

£1.85 plus whatever the jiffy was...

Also the item is cheaper than most people selling it so we are the same as everyone else if you buy one and waaaayyy cheaper if you buy 2...

If someones charging £7 for postage on say a phone, I think both parties know very well its gonna less than that,

Does eBay charge fees on postage? Cos if not, its a good way to bypass eBay fees a little.

hdizzle;6954775

If someones charging £7 for postage on say a phone, I think both parties … If someones charging £7 for postage on say a phone, I think both parties know very well its gonna less than that,Does eBay charge fees on postage? Cos if not, its a good way to bypass eBay fees a little.

On some items such as DVD's and video games, Ebay won't let you charge P+P fees, so it's even worse

I up my postage to cover the ever growing costs of paypal. Always qouted but the main items I sell there are larger parcels so they never can check it.

Original Poster

bossyboots;6954778

so to me you havent ripped them off on postage.what is their feedback … so to me you havent ripped them off on postage.what is their feedback left for others like?

I don't know who it is because everyone has left 100% positive feedback and really great comments but someone has secretly left a 1 or 2 feedback star in the P&P fees section...

Original Poster

[QUOTE=DarkKnight;6954768]
But for sellers they get chopped to bits by fees, there is Ebay fees (around 10%, listing fee, Paypal fee) and so i would say the seller is entitled to a few pennies extra to cover the cost of all this.[/QUOTE

Listing fee 40p, FVF = 10% so 30p and paypal fees too...

Banned

hdizzle;6954775

Does eBay charge fees on postage? Cos if not, its a good way to bypass … Does eBay charge fees on postage? Cos if not, its a good way to bypass eBay fees a little.

no it doesn't

Original Poster

hdizzle;6954775

If someones charging £7 for postage on say a phone, I think both parties … If someones charging £7 for postage on say a phone, I think both parties know very well its gonna less than that,Does eBay charge fees on postage? Cos if not, its a good way to bypass eBay fees a little.

Don't charge fees on postage, but I think that's why you can grade on the p&p costs cos people were selling stuff at 99p with £10 postage costs...

starsparkle2311;6954794

You got a large package there Adam?

:oops:

Original Poster

bossyboots;6954808

aahhh I see ..............it was the star feedback thingy u have been … aahhh I see ..............it was the star feedback thingy u have been scored low in.I honestly wouldnt worry too much about that Laffy as personally I and most sellers only refer to the main feedback score:thumbsup:

The problem is that I am trying to get top rated thingy and you can't have it if you get more than 2 low ratings in a category, and now I've got 2!:x

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;6954824

Because they are *insert expletive here*.

:-D ...so truuueee! thanks everyone am feeling better about it now!

if ive been charged postage and the actual amount is no where near it i leave neautral feedback lol

Buyers are aware of postal costs before buying, so they should not give neg feedback in any form, it isn't fair to the seller.

Sellers that are not happy with eBay charges do not have to use eBay.

micoo;6954847

if ive been charged postage and the actual amount is no where near it i … if ive been charged postage and the actual amount is no where near it i leave neautral feedback lol

thats cos your a player

most others are player-haters
;-)

Inactive;6954865

Sellers that are not happy with eBay charges do not have to use eBay.

Most sellers don't have a choice, Ebay is usually the best way as it offers the largest userbase

Banned

Sellers should not make money out of postage. You will get less bids anyway. If need be, use the reserve system. Sometimes people will buy the product anyway, because they need it sooner, cant wait for another auction to finish or you have more reputation then someone else selling that product. But then when they get the product they realise that the actual cost of postage was much less and if they were not ripped off on postage they could have got that product for much cheaper.

Also why do some dikcwards on ebay have paypal as a method of payment and then in the listing say "do not pay using paypal". I report all them batsurds.

DarkKnight;6954887

Most sellers don't have a choice, Ebay is usually the best way as it … Most sellers don't have a choice, Ebay is usually the best way as it offers the largest userbase

All sellers have a choice, they can use eBay and play by their rules, or vote with their feet.

Banned

does it make a difference aslong as the overall cost is a good one

i sell something for £3 and £2 postage and people moan and leave low dsr but
i sell the same item for £5 and free postage and buyers leave the best dsr and rave about me on my feedback

its all a mental thing they think they getting a better deal when in fact its just the same except i have to pay more fees

also when i charged the £2 postage it actually costs me more then that but buyers think they are getting ripped off, most buyer forget about packaging, if i sell something small it gets enclosed in bubble wrap then wrapped in card then placed in a padded envelope it all adds up

but its all good i like ebay

Banned

I just left a guy negative feedback (well a few days ago) becuase I bought a Staple gun which had £8.99 delivery via 24hr courier.... after 9 days and 4 emails (not of which were replied to) I got it via royal mail AND SECOND CLASS costing £2.70....

I was still happy with the original price but the service was shocking so I left neg....

Some circumstances warrant a good winge....

The way I see it is you shouldn't make profit on postage and if you do then I'm gonna winge about it

Banned

I just got 8 low dsr's from one customer, i knew she was going to be a nightmare from the start as she was complaining about the charges before i even posted them, stupid *****!
Postage was £2 each auction, she bought 8, I reduced the postage from £16 to £6 for her, and within about 10 minutes I had an email saying it was still too high. She told me the exact weight of them (she was wrong), how much a jiffy bag would cost (again wrong, unless anyone knows where you can get an a2 one for 8p) and said it should only have been £4.50 max. Actual stamp cost was £5.25 and the envelope was 35p, after paypal fees on the postage part I probably ended up with about 15p profit from the postage, and she still left 1's or 2's.
Needless to say she's now on my blocked bidder list.

Adam, you can't use reserve for low value items.
daz1981, people leave low ratings for free postage too!

i never sold on ebay (yet) but i buy a decent amount from there, the only feedback that is important is the main feedback, i will (and im sure most others too) judge if your postage costs are fair before i buy. I have never payed any attention to star ratings, only the negative feedback comments.

On ebay i state postage and packing include postage cost, packing and petrol to the post office. ( could add that sometimes i have to pay to park!)

Banned

athunder;6955407

i never sold on ebay (yet) but i buy a decent amount from there, the only … i never sold on ebay (yet) but i buy a decent amount from there, the only feedback that is important is the main feedback, i will (and im sure most others too) judge if your postage costs are fair before i buy. I have never payed any attention to star ratings, only the negative feedback comments.

Star ratings are important as they affect your search standings and fees... If you get all great DSR's all the time and are a power seller then you become a top rates seller which increase sales..... Most people leaving feedback don't know by leaving bad DSR's they're damaging a business.

hdizzle;6954775

seller pays fees on total amount received via paypal inc postage costs. £7? £5.40 special delivery approx, £1 or more on decent jiffy, bus fare to post office. And you think £7 is too much? ends up costing a seller money to post a phone most of the time.

Banned

colinsunderland;6955389

I just got 8 low dsr's from one customer, i knew she was going to be a … I just got 8 low dsr's from one customer, i knew she was going to be a nightmare from the start as she was complaining about the charges before i even posted them, stupid *****!Postage was £2 each auction, she bought 8, I reduced the postage from £16 to £6 for her, and within about 10 minutes I had an email saying it was still too high. She told me the exact weight of them (she was wrong), how much a jiffy bag would cost (again wrong, unless anyone knows where you can get an a2 one for 8p) and said it should only have been £4.50 max. Actual stamp cost was £5.25 and the envelope was 35p, after paypal fees on the postage part I probably ended up with about 15p profit from the postage, and she still left 1's or 2's. Needless to say she's now on my blocked bidder list.Adam, you can't use reserve for low value items.daz1981, people leave low ratings for free postage too!

i know they do but it would be rare if they buy something with free postage and they recieve item the next day which is normally the case.
the point i was making is everyone moans about ebay fees but when a buyer buys an item that is worth say £10 but the seller has it down as £5 and £5 postage just to save himself some fees and rightly so then there is no reason the buyer should moan as its still only £10 and what they were happy paying
but at the end of the day buyers do not realise the real cost of postage they think its just cost of stamp and thats it
having made my items free postage and just put the price up to the price it was earlier but its all in the main price now i have to pay 3 x the fees i used to pay

I don't usually look at the stars.
If buying I check that they have some good feedback as a seller
If selling I cancel bids of anyone with less than 5 feedback, and anyone outside UK.

This free postage thing is crap, because I still have to pay for envelopes and stuff too -that stuff costs, especially when you're only selling once in a while rather than bulk buying a box of jiffy bags.

Some eBayers are so dense though...
I once sold something for £1.70
+£4 postage = £5.70
-17p eBay fees = £5.53
-39p Paypal fees = £5.14
Cost me £8 something to post = -£3.

I made a loss on the item, told the buyer (but didn't ask for the postage, my fault that I underestimated) and he still left feedback that the postage cost could have been lower! Absolute moron.

Hardly use eBay now - was once a PowerSeller!

Old but came across this by accident. Because buyer gets charged parcel price and seller sends it at letter rate. I also don't think it's right some sellers include the eBay 10% postage levy when they can get additional photos for free now.
Edited by: "IWOOTN" 15th May
Post a comment
@
    Text