Posted 25th Feb 2022
I am planning to replace MR16 lamp holder with GU10 lamp holder. I have done this before some years ago so can't remember the connections.

The one I have bought pictured below doesn't have a live and neutral label on the two connections that I have circled in yellow.

I am guessing it doesn't matter which is live and neutral for this holder?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    It doesn’t matter which way around the lamp holder is wired. They sell them in Toolstation if you need more.
  2. Avatar
    A GU10 lamp has two identical pins. It's not possible to tell which way round you are inserting it into the holder.

I think the only lamp holders with a correct polarity are for the screw in bulbs as one terminal is more exposed than the other in an empty holder.

We tend to say live & neutral for a.c. such as mains power in buildings, or positive & negative for d.c. power such as vehicle electrics and batteries.

A trade credit account at Toolstation gives 5% discount.
  3. Avatar
    Author
    46976875-lSPMd.jpg
  4. Avatar
    It's worth pointing out that MR16 fittings are typically used for low voltage DC set ups while GU10 is mains voltage AC so you can't just replace the lamp holder directly unless you're certain that your MR16 lamp holders are being fed with mains power (either because it's a weird setup or because they have the AC to DC conversion in the holder).
  5. Avatar
    Author
    EndlessWaves25/02/2022 18:20

It's worth pointing out that MR16 fittings are typically used for low …It's worth pointing out that MR16 fittings are typically used for low voltage DC set ups while GU10 is mains voltage AC so you can't just replace the lamp holder directly unless you're certain that your MR16 lamp holders are being fed with mains power (either because it's a weird setup or because they have the AC to DC conversion in the holder).

the MR16 has individual transformers so i am going to remove the transformers and connect the GU10 holder directly into the mains. i have done this for 5 lights already some years ago, planning to do another 3.
  6. Avatar
    EndlessWaves25/02/2022 18:20

It's worth pointing out that MR16 fittings are typically used for low …It's worth pointing out that MR16 fittings are typically used for low voltage DC set ups while GU10 is mains voltage AC so you can't just replace the lamp holder directly unless you're certain that your MR16 lamp holders are being fed with mains power (either because it's a weird setup or because they have the AC to DC conversion in the holder).

Should be something like these buried in the floorboards

diy.com/dep…prd
  7. Avatar
    Author
    Doug_26/02/2022 02:51

It doesn’t matter which way around the lamp holder is wired. They sell t …It doesn’t matter which way around the lamp holder is wired. They sell them in Toolstation if you need more.

yeah, i saw them at toolstation and screwfix. the screwfix one is a few pennies cheaper so i bought them from there

i had read that GU10 lamp have no polarity but it wasn't clear this means neutral and live as when i googled polarity it went on about positive and negative.

i know that your bog standard pendant holder doesn't have live and neutral.