Groups

Guess how much rent I've been overcharged!

I read a thread here a while ago about how you could get your council tax band reduced. I did this and got it lowered saving a few bob. Result.

I used this to try and get my rent reduced as I thought that was high too and I found out the similar property was paying much less too.

I finally got a letter last week from my housing trust confirming that I have indeed been overcharged since October 2006 when I moved in.

The total rent overcharged being £1146.94!!!

Just goes to show what you can do by writing a simple letter.

24 Comments

Banned

nice!
    What a ridiculous amount!

You getting it back in a lump sum? Would pay for a nice trip/tv etc...

Who do you pay your rent to? If its a private rent, theres not much you can do is there as you agreed to the rent when you moved in. If its local authority then you have a chance

Wow!!! Result indeed, well done you! :thumbsup:

The drinks are on you then!

Original Poster

pinkkitty2007;2226073

Who do you pay your rent to? If its a private rent, theres not much you … Who do you pay your rent to? If its a private rent, theres not much you can do is there as you agreed to the rent when you moved in. If its local authority then you have a chance

It's Circle 33 which is private I think, so it doesn't matter if it's local authority or not.

dont forget to take account of inflation and interest :D. You might get more

Abvance;2226303

It's Circle 33 which is private I think, so it doesn't matter if it's … It's Circle 33 which is private I think, so it doesn't matter if it's local authority or not.

I thought that if you accepted the rent on a private house then that was it. My brother has been paying an extortionate amount for a house but he knew the rent when he accepted the lease so is there really anything that can be done?

Banned

pinkkitty2007;2227048

I thought that if you accepted the rent on a private house then that was … I thought that if you accepted the rent on a private house then that was it. My brother has been paying an extortionate amount for a house but he knew the rent when he accepted the lease so is there really anything that can be done?

yeah but you pay for your council tax seperately to the actaul rent though, so its the council you get the cash back from not the landlord isn't it?

Well done!! I was once successful in getting my council tax band lowered for a previous house.

ODB_69;2227068

yeah but you pay for your council tax seperately to the actaul rent … yeah but you pay for your council tax seperately to the actaul rent though, so its the council you get the cash back from not the landlord isn't it?

yeah i know that but i was under the impression it is rent he wants to claim back, as he has already claimed for council tax?

Bloody spoilsport.

I opened the thread after thinking about it for a while. Upon reading your oopening post, you ruined all the fun straight away! :x :

Banned

pinkkitty2007;2227332

yeah i know that but i was under the impression it is rent he wants to … yeah i know that but i was under the impression it is rent he wants to claim back, as he has already claimed for council tax?

oh dunno then..... can't really think straight, brain overloaded with other thoughts

How do you find out if your rent is too much?

Banned

Lulu'sMammy;2227482

How do you find out your rent?

Are you serious?

csiman;2227577

Are you serious?

Certainly am

Banned

Lulu'sMammy;2227588

Certainly am

So you pay rent and dont even know how much you pay?

Check your bank statement.

Banned

editing is cheating lol

csiman;2227603

editing is cheating lol

Muwahahahaha!

Original Poster

What happened was that I found out a similar property (the flat downstairs) was on offer and they were charging less rent, so I used this and the fact my council tax band is now the same as the other flat to get my rent reduced. Apparently my flat was classified as having one bedroom when it was actually a bedsit.

How do you find out if you are paying too much council tax? Thanks.

Original Poster

hollypinder;2228823

How do you find out if you are paying too much council tax? Thanks.

Go to ]this site and see if similar properties are on a lower council tax band.

Abvance;2229029

Go to ]this site and see if similar properties are on a lower council tax … Go to ]this site and see if similar properties are on a lower council tax band.

Thanks, rep added, but cant seem to work out how to use that site. Thanks anyway,

Banned

hollypinder;2232196

Thanks, rep added, but cant seem to work out how to use that site. Thanks … Thanks, rep added, but cant seem to work out how to use that site. Thanks anyway,

Eh? You only have to put your postcode in (format AANN NAA, e.g BN43 7RF), then click on GO and then click on GO on the next screen. You then get every house in your street with their council tax band,

csiman;2232355

Eh? You only have to put your postcode in (format AANN NAA, e.g BN43 … Eh? You only have to put your postcode in (format AANN NAA, e.g BN43 7RF), then click on GO and then click on GO on the next screen. You then get every house in your street with their council tax band,

Oh really? When i do that only mine comes up!! Thanks.

Banned

hollypinder;2236650

Oh really? When i do that only mine comes up!! Thanks.

whats your postcode?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31139
      2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio55
      3. Help Feed a Homeless Animal for Free1608647
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1624

See more discussions