Groups

[GUIDE] v 0.9.1 - How to get rid of the HUKD statistic boxes on the right hand side in Firefox + More!

Version history

0.9.1 Removed the Deal Pwn image
    0.9 - Removed the Bitter Wallet stuff from the side bar (thanks to vibeone)
    0.8.1 - Added support for removing the blue temperature figures from the forum listing
    0.8 - Fixed the boxes on the right of the page to display correctly. Also removed the heat indicator infront of the thread title
    0.7 - This is a funny update as i am bringing back the things that made me start this in the first place - the statistics boxes!! This time they are back in a more streamlined form and take up way less space. Let me know what you think. I have had to make some of the text really small to squeeze it all in. The reason that i brought this back is incase Admin decides to add some useful feature there. I wouldn't want you missing out.
    0.6 - Time for another major update. This time i have concentrated on the full view look. Each deal/post in full view is now contained in its own block. Added a border to this block for greater readability. Also adjusted the padding to bring the text away from the left edge.
    This also affects the first post in a thread, this is now contained in a white box with a border. Minor tweak - changed the colour of the link that takes you to the last post. All links seem to be blue on the site and i thought it was rather unintuitive to have this particualar link in grey.
    0.5.2 - Another minor update. The "posted by..." text has been moved back underneath the topic title
    0.5.1 - Minor update to change the height of each row that contain the topic title (can see more topics at a glance now). Also tweaked spacing between topic title and "posted by ..." text
    0.5 - Updated the look of the thread view. Made clear defination between user information on the left and the message on the right. Also made the forum quotes look a little nicer - increased text size, removed the gradient background image, removed the mahoosive quotes!
    0.4 - Removed the infamous white background. Added a border around the table that is the forum for easier distinction
    0.3 - Optimized readability and functionality of the page links
    0.2 - Reduced the size of topic titles and moved the "posted by ..." text onto the same line. Increased width of "last post" column slightly so it all fit in properly
    0.1 - First release. Removed statistics boxes from the right

1)Install Stylish - addons.mozilla.org/en-…108

2) Restart Firefox

3) Visit hotukdeals.com

4) Click the new icon in the status bar at the bottom right of the Firefox window (looks like a page with a brush on it)

5) Goto "Write style > for hotukdeals.com"

6) Type any description you want, then paste in the following in the big box

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("hotukdeals.com") {

body {
    background-color: whitesmoke !important;
    }

.text_deal_view {
    border: 1px solid #d9d9d9 !important;
    }

table.text_deal_view td {
    padding:2px 0 2px 5px !important;
    border-bottom:1px solid #D9D9D9;
    }

.alternating_row {
    background-color: #fff !important;
    }

#statbox {
    display: inline !important;
    width: 150px !important;
    }

#two_column_wrap {
    padding-right:160px !important;
    }

.text_title_new a {
    font-weight: normal !important;
    }

.text_title_old a {
    font-weight: normal !important;
    }

.text_title_new h2 a{
    font-size: 0.8em !important;
    margin-right:15px !important;
    font-weight:bold !important;
    }

.text_title_old h2 a{
    margin-right:15px !important;
    }

td.last_posting {
    width:170px !important;
    }

.page_links {
    margin-top: 5px;
    margin-bottom: 10px;
    }

.page_links a {
    color:#3C5890 !important;
    background-color:#FFF !important;
    padding:1px !important;
    margin-right:2px !important;
    padding: 0 2px 0 2px !important;
    border: 1px solid #D8E5FC !important;
    text-decoration: none;
    }

.page_links a:hover {
    color:#3C5890 !important;
    background-color:#D8E5FC !important;
    padding:1px !important;
    margin-right:2px !important;
    padding: 0 2px 0 2px !important;
    border: 1px solid #D8E5FC !important;
    text-decoration: none;
    }

.message_body {
    background-color:#efefef !important;
    }

.post_wrapper {
    border: 1px solid #d9d9d9;
    background-color: #d9d9d9;
    }

.forum_quote_wrapper {
    padding:0px 20px 10px 35px;
    margin-left:0px !important;
    background-image:none !important;
    }

.forum_quote {
    background-image:none !important;
    background-color: whitesmoke !important;
    padding:7px;
    border: 2px inset #d9d9d9 !important;
    font-size: 100% !important;
    }

.last_post_link {
    color: #123889 !important;
    }

.deal_list {
    background-color: #fff !important;
    border: 1px solid #afafaf;
    padding-left:10px !important;
    }

#forum_stats h2 {
    font-size: 1em !important;
    font-weight: bold !important;
    }

#forum_stats dt {
    width: 150px !important;
    text-transform: none !important;
    font-style:italic;
    color: #123889 !important;
    }

#forum_stats dd {
    margin-left: 0 !important;
    }

#hottest_deals h2 {
    font-size:1em !important;
    }

input#merchant_search {
    width: 120px !important;
    }

.merchant_filter h2 {
    font-size: 1em !important;
    }

dl#hottest_deals dt {
    float: none !important;
    }

dl#hottest_deals dd {
    padding-right: 5px !important;
    }

.deal_current_temp_red_txt{
    display:none !important;
    }

.deal_current_temp_blue_txt{
    display:none !important;
    }

.active_list {
    width: 130px !important;
    overflow:hidden !important;
    padding:0 !important;
    }
    .hottest_list {
    width: 130px !important;
    padding:0 !important;
    font-size:10px !important;
    }
    .sidebox-filter h2 {
    }
    .voucher-search-txt {
    width:130px !important;
    margin-top:10px !important;
    }
    #hottest_deals h2{
    }
    #active_threads a{
    }
    #hottest_deals a{
    }
    .hottest_current{
    }
    td.forum_image {
    width:50px !important;
    }
    .bw-list {
    display:none;
    }

#statbox div img {
    }

#statbox div br {
    }

#statbox div {
    margin-top:0px !important;
    }
    #footer {
    }

.footer_box {
    border:none !important;
    }

.user_details_right div{
    width: 170px !important;
    }
    #forum_stats
    {
    }
    #widget-links
    {
    }
    #hukd-blogs
    {
    }

.vbmenu_popup
    {
    border: solid 1px #000000 !important;
    }
    #widget-contest
    {
    }

#statbox a img
    {
    /* removes deals pwn */
    }
    }

7)Click save and you should have a new look forum!

157 Comments

Original Poster

Im currently working on more "hacks" to get the forum to look how i owuld like it

Here is where i am up to:

* removed statistics boxes on right hand side
    * reduced size of topic titles
    * moved the "posted by..." text up to the same line as the topic title

Things to do
    * reduce height of each topic row
    * + many more things!

http://mark-beech.co.uk/screen.jpg

very nice, haven't tried it but you've certainly got the right ideas.

Genius, brilliant, works a treat thanks :thumbsup:

Now if you could fix all the other problems with this site please :whistling:;-):-D

Original Poster

barneydog;1358017

Now if you could fix all the other problems with this site please

Hehehe, i'm working on it. Only so much i can do though.

Having said that, im not doing this as a rebelious outburt against the new design, but i do like sites to look like I want them. I use Stylish a lot to tweak many websites i visit.

I normally just keep these things i do for personal use, but i thought some of the guys here would find this one in particular useful.

What else is wrong with the site? Unupdated posts still in bold is the only thing I can think of that I really need fixed. (other than the stuff mentioned above)

Does it work with ie btw?

Original Poster

Benjimoron;1358050

Does it work with ie btw?

Unfortunately not, Firefox supports addons i.e. Stylish, Internet Explorer doesn't

JayBird;1358053

Unfortunately not, Firefox supports addons i.e. Stylish, Internet … Unfortunately not, Firefox supports addons i.e. Stylish, Internet Explorer doesn't

cheers, hopefully these things will be implemented within a week, if not I'm going to venture down the route of firefox.

Original Poster

Version 0.2 released. See first post for updated style code

Original Poster

Version 0.3 release.

Old page links looked like this

http://mark-beech.co.uk/links_old.jpg

New ones loook like this

http://mark-beech.co.uk/links_new.jpg

Original Poster

Version 0.4 released - removed the infamous white background. Also added a subtle border to the table that hold the forums for easier distinction

Thats jaybird, owe you one

Thats magic, works a treat. Especially liking the page links, much better :santa:

Amazed at how quickly you're fixing some of these problems! Well done.

Original Poster

Glad some of you are finding it useful.

More changes on the way when i get a minute

Original Poster

Current style with version 0.4 applied

http://mark-beech.co.uk/hukd2.jpg

Cheers, the changes work well and look good.

Original Poster

0.5 released - Update the look of the thread view. Made clear defination between user information on the left and the message on the right. Also made the forum quotes look a little nicer - increased text size, removed the gradient background image, removed the mahoosive quotes!

http://mark-beech.co.uk/hukd3.jpg

great work Jaybird!! definately makes it easier to use!:thumbsup:

Sign him up Admin, would have cut the time to build the site down to 1 week from 1 year :-D

I'm impressed Jaybird .. are you sure you dont want a job with HUKD??!! I already use FF but I'll give Admin a week to sort the 'look and feel' .. otherwise I shall be using your (very) kindly offerings!! Cheeeeeers, Steve.

Just tested it with FF portable, definately easier on the eyes. Easier to read quoted text too.

Edit: The funny thing is though, after looking at the white on this site for the last 5 hours, your mod makes it all look quite dark and gloomy

:lol:

Right - now can you make an extension to change the way HUKD looks.......make it look like the old site

Original Poster

shanz172000;1358756

great work Jaybird!! definately makes it easier to use!

Thanks, stay tuned for more

col;1358771

Sign him up Admin, would have cut the time to build the site down to 1 … Sign him up Admin, would have cut the time to build the site down to 1 week from 1 year

Hehe, im not sure about that. Although i am good, im not THAT good :-D

Splodger101;1358776

I'm impressed Jaybird .. are you sure you dont want a job with HUKD??!! I … I'm impressed Jaybird .. are you sure you dont want a job with HUKD??!! I already use FF but I'll give Admin a week to sort the 'look and feel' .. otherwise I shall be using your (very) kindly offerings!! Cheeeeeers, Steve.

Im happy with my current job as Senior Web Developer/Designer thanks :thumbsup:

Shengis;1358783

Just tested it with FF portable, definately easier on the eyes. Easier to … Just tested it with FF portable, definately easier on the eyes. Easier to read quoted text too.Edit: The funny thing is though, after looking at the white on this site for the last 5 hours, your mod makes it all look quite dark and gloomy

Good to know it works on other platforms too! Even through i removed the white, it is only a subtle change to a very light grey. It is slightly easier on the eyes, takes the harshness away from it.

ChrisUK;1358787

Right - now can you make an extension to change the way HUKD … Right - now can you make an extension to change the way HUKD looks.......make it look like the old site

Not likely, im just doing what i can to make it easier for me, if other poeple like it, then fair enough. I do miss the old site, but this new site is growing on me now i have made these changes. Im not saying my way is better, but it is better for me :thumbsup:

Awesome, nice one jaybird, getting rid of that damn statistics box makes a hell of a difference

JayBird;1357947

How do I get this look?

Everything else seems to work fine apart from this look.

Original Poster

Kick;1358910

How do I get this look?Everything else seems to work fine apart from this … How do I get this look?Everything else seems to work fine apart from this look.

I dont follow.

What works and what doesn't?

Original Poster

version 0.5.1 release - Minor update to change the height of each row that contain the topic title (can see more topics at a glance now). Also tweaked spacing between topic title and "posted by ..." text

You can see the space saving in the image here...

http://mark-beech.co.uk/hukd4.jpg

How do I get the new changes Jayb ird?

Ah realised you've edited first post :giggle:

Original Poster

t0mm;1359045

Ah realised you've edited first post :giggle:

Yep, just click the Stylish icon, bottom right of firefox. Then click manage styles. Then edit the style for here. Replace everything you paste before with the new stuff in the first post

JayBird;1358922

I dont follow. What works and what doesn't?

Don't worry, found out what it was, I wasn't viewing in text only.

All working perfectly now.

Original Poster

Kick;1359061

Don't worry, found out what it was, I wasn't viewing in text only.All … Don't worry, found out what it was, I wasn't viewing in text only.All working perfectly now. Thanks :thumbsup:

Ah yes, i should have made it clear that these changes only affect the forums when viewing in text view.

I have plans for the full view too, but im gonna hold off until Admin had finalised his tweaks, before i tweak further.

ok, had to give it a go in the end!

Looks really good, well done. Not quite sure about the size of the text on the titles and maybe the username bit should still be underneath but on the whole very good!

cheers, got mine looking good :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Benjimoron;1359085

ok, had to give it a go in the end!Looks really good, well done. Not … ok, had to give it a go in the end!Looks really good, well done. Not quite sure about the size of the text on the titles and maybe the username bit should still be underneath but on the whole very good!

Yeah, i think i may agree with you there (i man enough to maybe admit i was wrong). Im gonna give it a go by dropping the "posted by..." text underneath the thread title. Not sure it may look too crammed though, and as we had a lot of horizantal space after removing the stats boxes, i thought i may aswel utilise it.

Like the boxes being defined so that there is a clear seperation between poster and post and other people's posts etc. Not sure about the quote boxes, quite like the quote marks on the standard site and your boxes look a bit 90's!

Original Poster

Benjimoron;1359219

....and your boxes look a bit 90's!

Cant beat a bit of retro. not entirely happy with the new quote boxes, but i prefer them over the originals

JayBird;1359141

Yeah, i think i may agree with you there (i man enough to maybe admit i … Yeah, i think i may agree with you there (i man enough to maybe admit i was wrong). Im gonna give it a go by dropping the "posted by..." text underneath the thread title. Not sure it may look too crammed though, and as we had a lot of horizantal space after removing the stats boxes, i thought i may aswel utilise it.

Don't think it'll look too crammed, some titles/posted by take up two lines anyway so why not all of them. Should make it look a little more uniform too as they'll all line up whereas they could be anywhere atm.

Benjimoron;1359219

Not sure about the quote boxes, quite like the quote marks on the … Not sure about the quote boxes, quite like the quote marks on the standard site and your boxes look a bit 90's!

Oldskool retro :w00t: :lol:

JayBird;1359227

Cant beat a bit of retro. not entirely happy with the new quote boxes, … Cant beat a bit of retro. not entirely happy with the new quote boxes, but i prefer them over the originals

Yeah, not sure if this is just on mine but on the proper hukd site only the bottom line of the quote is a different colour so not easy to tell it's a quote on the eye.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1317
      2. Important info for Ryanair customers1520
      3. Spotify Family Premium share512
      4. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?914

See more discussions