Posted 17th Sep 2021
Anyone tried the new Guinness 0%?

I love my Guinness and I'd say this is the closest alcohol free taste of any beer to it's alcoholic original. The head isn't as creamy and there's a bit more fizz (I reckon a tiny bit of CO2 is used) but the overall taste and smell is pretty close to what it should be.

Which brings me onto Guinness' newest gadget, the Nitro Surge.

Only released in Ireland and Northern Ireland but I reckon it will be UK wide after the test markets are finished. I managed to get hold of one today.

I think this will be a BIG seller even if it is a bit of a gimmick. It essentially pours a pint of Guinness like a pub pint. There's no widget in the can instead the head is formed by vibrating the liquid as it goes into the glass.
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment
27 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Author
    My pic didn't load in my O/P.

45619851-OpaEi.jpg
  2. Avatar
    Hmmm... I might have to try this. Wasn't there something like this Nitro Surge a few years ago?
  3. Avatar
    Author
    ncd17/09/2021 21:05

Hmmm... I might have to try this. Wasn't there something like this Nitro …Hmmm... I might have to try this. Wasn't there something like this Nitro Surge a few years ago?

They had the jewelry cleaner type thing that shook the glass gently to form the head.

I'll admit this is a total gimmick but it works. As you're pouring, it gives little pulses to shake the beer and in all honesty it gives a great pint. If they get this out to the mainland before XMas they are onto a winner because at £22.99, every kid will buy their dad who likes the odd pint.

My only concern is the price of cans. At £13.99 for 6 it is not good value. Yes they are full 568 pints and not 500ml cans but this device fits every can so I suspect rivals will start injecting their beer with NO2 knowing they don't need to develope their own widget like Guinness had too. Hopefully we are the test nation and prices come down to £1 or so like a Guinness can with a widget costs.

Overall I like it. It pours a great pint with a perfect Guinness head.
  4. Avatar
    GlentoranMark17/09/2021 21:13

They had the jewelry cleaner type thing that shook the glass gently to …They had the jewelry cleaner type thing that shook the glass gently to form the head.I'll admit this is a total gimmick but it works. As you're pouring, it gives little pulses to shake the beer and in all honesty it gives a great pint. If they get this out to the mainland before XMas they are onto a winner because at £22.99, every kid will buy their dad who likes the odd pint.My only concern is the price of cans. At £13.99 for 6 it is not good value. Yes they are full 568 pints and not 500ml cans but this device fits every can so I suspect rivals will start injecting their beer with NO2 knowing they don't need to develope their own widget like Guinness had too. Hopefully we are the test nation and prices come down to £1 or so like a Guinness can with a widget costs.Overall I like it. It pours a great pint with a perfect Guinness head.

Yiu might like this guys channel if you have not seen it already.

5. Avatar
    Yes it's nice.
    Also
    Alcohol free sam's brown ale is lush from Samuel Smith Brewery but not so available.
    Had a few and drove home a few weeks ago which seemed wrong and a bit odd. No hangover though
    Edited by: "wayners" 18th Sep 2021
  6. Avatar
    Author
    I must admit, I thought it was a gimmick. It is but in all honesty it pours a better pint than the cans with a widget. My only concern is £2.33 a can. I opened up a can and there was nothing in it (as I expected) so all that's in this is Guinness and NO2. The gadget fits over any can so I can see other beer manufacturers like Murphy's and Beamish selling cans that's primed with NO2 for far cheaper knowing full well people will use this in the machine.

All in all, expect this on the mainland for XMas and be a great stocking filler for any stout loving Dad.
  7. Avatar
    Good review GlensMark. These Guinness Nitro Surge units are selling like hot cakes. Really hard to get in NI.
  8. Avatar
    Has anyone attempted to use the Nitro Surger unit with the standard Surger cans?
  9. Avatar
    I'm still looking for Guinness zero, I saw it as a Facebook ad (of all places!) but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where in the UK it can be found?
  10. Avatar
    slimy3130/09/2021 21:12

I'm still looking for Guinness zero, I saw it as a Facebook ad (of all …I'm still looking for Guinness zero, I saw it as a Facebook ad (of all places!) but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where in the UK it can be found?

Morrisons is one stockist..
  11. Avatar
    Author
    slimy3130/09/2021 21:12

I'm still looking for Guinness zero, I saw it as a Facebook ad (of all …I'm still looking for Guinness zero, I saw it as a Facebook ad (of all places!) but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where in the UK it can be found?

tesco.com/gro…279

I got mine in a local shop but Tesco should be stocking it by now. I've also heard it's on draft in a few Belfast pubs so I can see it going nationwide soon.
  12. Avatar
    Anyone know when the Nitro is coming to the UK please?

I for one would be a regular purchaser of these cans as I'm sure many others would be.
  13. Avatar
    Author
    erroll09/10/2021 09:53

Anyone know when the Nitro is coming to the UK please?I for one would be a …Anyone know when the Nitro is coming to the UK please?I for one would be a regular purchaser of these cans as I'm sure many others would be.

Already in the UK in NI I get your point though.

Tesco NI had loads of these cans last night but no Surgers. At £12 for 6 cans they are not cheap. The cans don't have a widget so are cheaper and easier to produce so Guinness will have to massively reduce the price or this will just be a passing fad. I love the gadget though and suspect it will hit the mainland before Xmas.Supply issues seem to be the problem, My local Tesco say they will have more stock on the 17th October but they will sell out in an instant (£22 for the surger device.)
  14. Avatar
    I managed to find this eventually (a big Tesco had it), but I now have three out of the four cans sat in the garage. I can't drink it, it's got a weird 'sweetness' to it.

Mind you, at least I got to the bottom of the can before admitting defeat... for the low alcohol Old Speckled Hen I only managed to have one sip before pouring it down the drain!! That was truly awful, I can't even describe how bad that was.
  15. Avatar
    Author
    slimy3113/11/2021 08:22

I managed to find this eventually (a big Tesco had it), but I now have …I managed to find this eventually (a big Tesco had it), but I now have three out of the four cans sat in the garage. I can't drink it, it's got a weird 'sweetness' to it. Mind you, at least I got to the bottom of the can before admitting defeat... for the low alcohol Old Speckled Hen I only managed to have one sip before pouring it down the drain!! That was truly awful, I can't even describe how bad that was.

Loads of pubs in Ireland/Northern Ireland are getting zero on draught, I'd definitely drink it midweek if I found it. It's as close to the real thing as I've found.

I get ya that it is a bit sweeter, I bought a 4 can pack and still have 2 left myself. Guinness is usually all I drink (I'll be on it later at the footy) but I only drink at the weekends to save a midweek hangover. When there's a midweek footy game, I usually suffer the next day lol.

The Nitro Surge is great but I can't justify £2 a can. I don't taste any difference between Nitro Surge and a widget can, they just pour a little different. The Nitro Surge doesn't have a widget so £2 isn't justified as it's cheaper to produce. The only difference is a full 568ml pint as opposed to 500ml in a widget can. XMas will be the next time I'll get it.
  16. Avatar
    GlentoranMark13/11/2021 11:05

Loads of pubs in Ireland/Northern Ireland are getting zero on draught,

Draught might be worth another try, having spent a (far too short) amount of time in Ireland I can honestly say there's nothing like Guinness on draught...
  17. Avatar
    GlentoranMark17/09/2021 21:13

They had the jewelry cleaner type thing that shook the glass gently to …They had the jewelry cleaner type thing that shook the glass gently to form the head.I'll admit this is a total gimmick but it works. As you're pouring, it gives little pulses to shake the beer and in all honesty it gives a great pint. If they get this out to the mainland before XMas they are onto a winner because at £22.99, every kid will buy their dad who likes the odd pint.My only concern is the price of cans. At £13.99 for 6 it is not good value. Yes they are full 568 pints and not 500ml cans but this device fits every can so I suspect rivals will start injecting their beer with NO2 knowing they don't need to develope their own widget like Guinness had too. Hopefully we are the test nation and prices come down to £1 or so like a Guinness can with a widget costs.Overall I like it. It pours a great pint with a perfect Guinness head.

I never pay more than 70p a can for 440ml Guinness, this is way too expensive.
  18. Avatar
    Author
    muffboy22/04/2022 05:29

I never pay more than 70p a can for 440ml Guinness, this is way too …I never pay more than 70p a can for 440ml Guinness, this is way too expensive.

Actually good timing for a reply, I saw a post on PubshedsUK on FB that Guinness now has a Guinness Coffee for sale.

standard.co.uk/bus…tml

I'd love to know where you get Guinness @70p.

I brewed my first home brew in almost a year last weekend, a Pilsner. My next brew however is a dry stout in the same vein as Guinness.
  19. Avatar
    GlentoranMark22/04/2022 09:56

Actually good timing for a reply, I saw a post on PubshedsUK on FB that …Actually good timing for a reply, I saw a post on PubshedsUK on FB that Guinness now has a Guinness Coffee for sale.https://www.standard.co.uk/business/guinness-cold-brew-coffee-beer-diageo-uk-global-b994954.htmlI'd love to know where you get Guinness @70p.I brewed my first home brew in almost a year last weekend, a Pilsner. My next brew however is a dry stout in the same vein as Guinness.

hotukdeals.com/dea…330
  20. Avatar
    GlentoranMark22/04/2022 09:56

Actually good timing for a reply, I saw a post on PubshedsUK on FB that …Actually good timing for a reply, I saw a post on PubshedsUK on FB that Guinness now has a Guinness Coffee for sale.https://www.standard.co.uk/business/guinness-cold-brew-coffee-beer-diageo-uk-global-b994954.htmlI'd love to know where you get Guinness @70p.I brewed my first home brew in almost a year last weekend, a Pilsner. My next brew however is a dry stout in the same vein as Guinness.

hotukdeals.com/dea…113
  21. Avatar
    Guinness Zero is about 57p per can if you take up the deal of 15 cans for £8 in Company Shop So'ton.
    Quite a bit of stock available yesterday
Post a comment
Top Merchants