Groups

Guitar experts

Hi Guitar players.

I'm a novice. I have a yamaha fs100 guitar.

I store it in a case. When I take it out to play, it always seems to be out of tune. I retune it, but after a few minutes of playing it goes out of tune again. I've changed the strings and it does the same thing. I use a Guitar Tuna app. When I look at the reading it never holds a straight line for long and can say it's too high after I first play the string and then says too low as the sound gets quieter.

I think it might be something to do with the temperature change from being in and out of the case.

Is this possible? Or is there something wrong with the guitar.

13 Comments

Hi my partner says the temperature change could make a lot of difference. best to leave it out of the case for a while then tune it first. he says there still could be a problem with the guitar, then get it looked at.he said it could be the way you are stringing the guitar and the strings are slipping. good luck.
    Edited by: "mysmugcat" 29th Jan

I was going to ask if you'd strung the guitar yourself or if those strings were on since you got it? Could definitely be that as mentioned above, temperature can certainly affect the strings too. Leave it out of the case as often as possible and see if it needs tuning as much.

Hi. Guitar tuna is very unreliable so that could be the main problem. Try using PitchLab Lite app. I use it all the time. Temperature change should only affect the tuning if you move the guitar from venue to venue, changes within the home are negligible.

Humidity will also affect it. It could be you've got cheap strings on it that won't hold tune. If you didn't fit them I'd replace the lot (one string at a time) & see what happens then

Original Poster

I've changed all the strings to diadora strings. I've also used thinner stings as they were sitting too high. Andy Guitar on you tube recommended this.

Have you changed the bridge or altered it at all?

Original Poster

I have adjusted the guitar a little with an alan key to reduce the action height.

You don't say how long the strings have been on, but they may need retuning for several weeks after swapping.

Additionally, I would leave it out of the case.

Buy a stand or wall hang.

Don't store in direct sunlight or too close to radiators.

Tuning stability can be affected by all sorts of things. When strings are new, there is a little stretching in time. I like to tune up and gently stretch the strings along their length by pulling the string away from the body... GENTLY! Are the strings uniformly going out of tune, or just one or two? Check the bridge saddles are nice and smooth and do the same at the nut end. You can rub a little graphite into the grooves (a soft pencil). It will ease friction over the contact points. Make sure you're restringing properly (lots of youtube videos on this). Particularly your B and high E strings. Sometimes the gears on the tuners will slip. Take the covers off the tuners and ensure the screw holding the gear in place is secure and all looks well and is moving firmly but freely. Unless you're keeping your guitar in cold storage or a greenhouse, I don't think heat is an issue. Don't keep your guitar stored against a radiator and avoid extremes of temperature. It's possible you have a truss rod issue. But eliminate other problems first.

Strings, metal or nylon?? new/unused strings stretch, especially nylon, so take a while before they will stay in tune.

Metal are more sensitive to temp changes obviously.

Original Poster

Thanks all. I keep the guitar in a room we don't use and do not heat. The strings are metal and have been on a couple of months. when I first play they are too high. I then tune them down. Then after a few minutes of playing they are too low, which leads me to think it's a temperature issue.

markpj777

Thanks all. I keep the guitar in a room we don't use and do not heat. … Thanks all. I keep the guitar in a room we don't use and do not heat. The strings are metal and have been on a couple of months. when I first play they are too high. I then tune them down. Then after a few minutes of playing they are too low, which leads me to think it's a temperature issue.

Are we talking microtonal differences here, or are your strings changing pitch by more than that? If it's microtonal (you can see the difference on an electronic tuner, but hardly notice an audible difference) then I wouldn't be too concerned. It may be temperature in that case. Leave it in the same room, in tune, for a period and see if it's audibly detuning. If that's the case, then you may have an issue. I forgot to mention - Also make sure the ball ends of the string are pulled snug against the tuning pegs and make sure the tuning pegs are nice and tight, so you're not getting any string slipping. Hope you sort your problem - Happy picking!

Original Poster

easilyconfused

Hi. Guitar tuna is very unreliable so that could be the main problem. Try … Hi. Guitar tuna is very unreliable so that could be the main problem. Try using PitchLab Lite app. I use it all the time. Temperature change should only affect the tuning if you move the guitar from venue to venue, changes within the home are negligible.

​Hi. I tried the app you suggested instead. There is a big difference in tuning with this. The guitar sounds a lot better after using this app. I think you are right. I am surprised though as the guitar tuner app did have good reviews.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Phone "Upgrade"36
      2. Best way to use Tesco club card vouchers?77
      3. I want some backless loafers for men11
      4. I am looking Ryman online discount code33

See more discussions