Groups

Guitar lessons for a beginner. Any web sites or need private lessons?

We have just bought our ten year old son an electric Guitar and Amp. Took advice from HUKD and got a second hand Yamaha Pacifica and then got a Ashton G10 Amp.
    Neither me or my partner are musical in any way.
    I am very willing to pay for lessons but thought we would try for a month or two to try and get him to just learn a bit either via the internet or a good book. I figure we will then know for sure that he is committed to learning before we pay for lessons. My reasoning being that alot of my friends sons have done the same and given up after about 3 months after the parents have spent quite a lot on lessons already.
    Does anyone think my idea is good or bad i would really appreciate honesty. Particularly interested what any guitarists think about this.
    Does anyone know of any good websites that give starter type lessons that he could work through for a few weeks.
    Thanks in advance.

11 Comments

Hi
    There are some great videos on youtube showing you how to play.
    Also [url]www.chordie.com[/url] is a great site once he gets to know a few chords.

[url]www.justinguitar.com[/url] is good!

eg. Only 4 chords

Knocking On Heavens Door
    Eric Clapton

G D Am
    Momma take this badge away from me
    G D C
    I don't u se it anymore
    G D Am
    It's getting dark to dark to see
    G D C
    Feel I'm knocking on heavens door
    G D Am
    Knock knock knocking on heavens door
    G D C
    G D Am
    G D C
    G D Am
    Momma take these guns away from me
    G D C
    I can't shoot them anymore
    G D Am
    That long black cloud is coming down
    G D C
    Feel I'm knocking on heavens door
    G D Am
    G D C
    G D Am
    G D C

schools usually have music lessons available - £20 a term - if you do decide later on to buy new - go through education dept and you can get a third off

dd gets her tabs online - free - lots of sites :thumbsup:

ultimate-guitar.com/

rehydrated;6303773

HiThere are some great videos on youtube showing you how to play.Also … HiThere are some great videos on youtube showing you how to play.Also [url]www.chordie.com[/url] is a great site once he gets to know a few chords.

Yep - type in what you want on youtube..some great guitar tutoring lessons in there

Original Poster

thanks guys will take a look at all those. he starts comprehensive next year and i know they do lessons there.
    Fingers crossed he's still playing then.

Why not do something with your kid and have 10 mins a day learning together? Better than fobbing off you kids to someone else. The rewards of learning to play the guitar are enormous and as previously posted, there's a great deal of free tutorials and guitar stuff out there, not to mention what you can get on peer to peer. Sorry did I say not to mention P2P!

Original Poster

dr_aj;6305850

Why not do something with your kid and have 10 mins a day learning … Why not do something with your kid and have 10 mins a day learning together? Better than fobbing off you kids to someone else. The rewards of learning to play the guitar are enormous and as previously posted, there's a great deal of free tutorials and guitar stuff out there, not to mention what you can get on peer to peer. Sorry did I say not to mention P2P!

You have just made me laugh so much. I dropped my son off at school this morning got back here and have already had a go after finding some useful sites on the internet. i think we may do just that although i might have to fight my partner too as he has his eye on learning as well. it will be great to do it together as we do a lot of football with my older son and i am always a little worried the younger one is left out a bit.
    I am not sure he will admit to any of his friends that we are going to have a go as well.:whistling:
    Bless him he's already trying to think of band names for when he's older.

birdyboyuk;6303808

[url]www.justinguitar.com[/url] is good!

+1, great site

Goofey's Girl;6306206

You have just made me laugh so much. I dropped my son off at school this … You have just made me laugh so much. I dropped my son off at school this morning got back here and have already had a go after finding some useful sites on the internet. i think we may do just that although i might have to fight my partner too as he has his eye on learning as well. it will be great to do it together as we do a lot of football with my older son and i am always a little worried the younger one is left out a bit. I am not sure he will admit to any of his friends that we are going to have a go as well.:whistling:Bless him he's already trying to think of band names for when he's older.

Good luck. If you stick with it, its quite an eye opener. I found that music I didn't really appreciate but could play, suddenly became more interesting and 95% of pop becomes unbearable because you know the lack of musical ability these so called talents have. It also feels great when you pick up a guitar and play a few simple chords and everyone thinks your sooo clever. Please persevere its worth it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846216
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)49395
      3. Find out how good your GP surgery is1111
      4. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism46

See more discussions