Expired

Gumtree

Found 20th Sep 2014
Received a text from someone called Wilson McCabe and he told me to email him so did that then got a message from "Gumtree" saying he wanted to buy my ad?? Then clicked on link said login gumtree didn't believe it so clicked home on gumtree took me to some Chinese/hindu site and url was totally differenr even on Gumtree through the link. anyone had this happen to them?

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

47 Comments

Common scam, never email anyone. Communicate via telephone, text or by the Gumtree mailing system as that does not revealing your personal address.

As someone who has been selling on Gumtree many years, do not respond to any text or email, asking you to email them on another address. Also do not bother with text messages where there is no mobile number displayed. The ones which display a name are also normally a scam.

I must get around 10 a week but I sell alot of items on Gumtree.

Edited by: "joshp" 20th Sep 2014

Original Poster

Eh? How does it show a name on my phone? So weird.. thanks man

joshp

Common scam, never email anyone. Communicate via text or by the Gumtree … Common scam, never email anyone. Communicate via text or by the Gumtree mailing system as that does not revealing your personal address. As someone who has been selling on Gumtree many years, do not respond to any text or email, asking you to email them on another address. Also do not bother with text messages where there is no mobile number displayed. The ones which display a name are also normally a scam.

Original Poster

Out of curiosity what could they do with my gumtree details?

Amazing_1

Out of curiosity what could they do with my gumtree details?

They send the text message using sites like this which also allow you to choose the sender ID: afreesms.com/fre…ms/

I'm not entirely sure what they could do with your details but they would have your email address and password. In tern they may beable to access your email and other accounts as some people use the same details.

Edited by: "joshp" 20th Sep 2014

Original Poster

cheers mate

Original Poster

yeah but ebay fees aint gonna cover the £25 is it?

Adam PDM

yes and pay ebay fees!!

Amazing_1

cheers mate

No worries. Not sure what the other comments are regarding but good luck with your sale. Remember to keep safe

Just had the exact same text from the same person about my ad!

Original Poster

dsutherland

Just had the exact same text from the same person about my ad!

really? dont login through link mate but explore innit click on the home logo see where it takes you

Banned

Amazing_1

really? dont login through link mate but explore innit click on the home … really? dont login through link mate but explore innit click on the home logo see where it takes you

the smart move would be to not click the link, or check the source of the page to check if there are iframes downloading malware in the background

Just had a text from Wilson Mccabe requesting I email as they couldn't ring my number...as another reply said ...if you click on the gumtree logo it comes up with Chinese gumtree ...beware and do not give any details .....SCAM

Original Poster

Ronimia

Just had a text from Wilson Mccabe requesting I email as they couldn't … Just had a text from Wilson Mccabe requesting I email as they couldn't ring my number...as another reply said ...if you click on the gumtree logo it comes up with Chinese gumtree ...beware and do not give any details .....SCAM

Same here Wilson McCabe

same here. Got a link from Wilson McCabe regarding a request on gumtree.com

I had the same text and i entered my email address and password.... I am worried now!! what could they do???

rdsm

I had the same text and i entered my email address and password.... I am … I had the same text and i entered my email address and password.... I am worried now!! what could they do???

Where did the page go?

rdsm

I had the same text and i entered my email address and password.... I am … I had the same text and i entered my email address and password.... I am worried now!! what could they do???

Change your password by going onto gumtree directly and watch out for spam emails asking for logins, personal detail or payments. Never click through a link in an email.

Be wary as I just had the same scenario. Had a text from "Peter Thorell" then an Email from "Gumtree" requesting I log in to view the proposed message from a Wilson McCabe, stupidly logged in through link to view a page asking me to type in card details! Luckily I declined to continue and changed password through actual Gumtree website ASAP ! - be careful

joshp

Common scam, never email anyone. Communicate via telephone, text or by … Common scam, never email anyone. Communicate via telephone, text or by the Gumtree mailing system as that does not revealing your personal address. As someone who has been selling on Gumtree many years, do not respond to any text or email, asking you to email them on another address. Also do not bother with text messages where there is no mobile number displayed. The ones which display a name are also normally a scam. I must get around 10 a week but I sell alot of items on Gumtree. This is very true.

Just had same git as above. Wilson mccabe. when I click on link takes me to a supposed gumtree site where it asks for my address. date of birth card details and my c v c number.. guess what my response email was. .lmao

I just had the same thing from someone called andy smith! Password changed!!

"Anthony" texted me just now saying he'd tried to call twice (no record on my phone) asking me to email him at lisbyanthony@gmail.com. Thought it was a scam and googled Anthony Lisby before emailing. Within 5 mins got an email similar to all those mentioned above saying Wilson mccabe was interested in my car and to log into Gumtree - except I was already logged in to Gumtree!

The "gumtree" message came from "Gumtree.com (lisbyanthony@gmail.com)" - hence I found this site with a google search.

What a bunch of balambs!

We have to be vigilant out there!
Edited by moderator: "Nov 16, 2014 16:29" 16th Nov 2014

Same thing had a txt from Peter Thorell saying he had tried to make contact and asking to contact him on an email address emailed a response then received a so called gumtree email about buying hit the link luckily the website is on the Microsoft security a list and it warned me not to use

Just had a text from Wilson McCabe too. Claimed he had tried to call me and was interested in my ad. Strangely I had just missed a call from an unknown number with a local area code and so stupidly thought it was legit. I replied an about an hour later received an email that looked like it was from gumtree which said I had a message from Wilson McCabe. I clicked the link and it took me to a site that appeared to be gumtree, it asked me to sign in so I did so. Luckily when I hit enter Chrome brought up a warning that the site appeared to be a phishing site. I changed my password immediately anyways. Not sure if the missed call was connected but suspect it was. Gonna be extra vigilant in the future!

I got an email from Wilsonmccabe@gmail.com " want to buy your ad from gumtree please contact me" So I replied him with my home address, what am i Suppose to do now any help please.

It seems big scam, how these guys getting direct email address of advertiser ? it seems either gumtree info in not safe or someone inside from gumtree also involved.

Worst thing I used same password for gumtree for standard websites I have , as no one can remember separate password for every website (even for this website as well I have same password as gumtree ) thanks God my eBay , Paypal , banks and email addresses have different password

Banned

Just got a text from Wilson McCabe.
Asked me to email him. It seemed fishy so I Google'd it and found this site.
Thanks for the heads up guys :-)

Yep - just got a text from WilsonMcCabe - glad I thought to google his name.......

haha got another sms

Congratulation, you are the lucky winner of a £500 Gift Voucher! Claim your gift here: tr.im/fXyGm

Yup just got the same text. Seemed to be something wrong with it so Googled the name! This was the first thing that came up, thanks guys!

"Chinese/Hindu site" is that better or worse than a peruvian/Catholic site? It's sad you can't distinguish between languages and religions.

Raggyroo22

Same thing had a txt from Peter Thorell saying he had tried to make … Same thing had a txt from Peter Thorell saying he had tried to make contact and asking to contact him on an email address emailed a response then received a so called gumtree email about buying hit the link luckily the website is on the Microsoft security a list and it warned me not to use

Another from Peter Thorell same format when checked email had from "Gumtree"..not an email with link which asked for all personal details definitely scam.

Amazing_1

Received a text from someone called Wilson McCabe and he told me to … Received a text from someone called Wilson McCabe and he told me to email him so did that then got a message from "Gumtree" saying he wanted to buy my ad?? Then clicked on link said login gumtree didn't believe it so clicked home on gumtree took me to some Chinese/hindu site and url was totally differenr even on Gumtree through the link. anyone had this happen to them?Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

blackrocket

Hi. Just had the same text. Got in touch with Gumtree as I was suspicious and they confirmed its fraudulent.

Hi...looks like another email to look out for is lisbyanthony.....@gmail.com saying they would like to buy my ad and to email them at that address - they sent me a text from +44 2684669 asking me to e-mail them

Exactly the same to me. Txt rom 'WILSON' (n number) saying wants to buy my ad, and to email him at wilsonmccabe@gmail.com. Proper scam!

Another Wilson McCabe. I spotted his name rather than number.

No reply, thanks HotUKDeals posters.

I had the same text and i entered my email address what can they do with it ?

Just had a message on my phone asking to email him as he wanted to buy my 'for sale item' x

Got this message from 'Anthony' : Hi, I want to buy your ad from gumtree, please contact me at: lisbyanthony@gmail.com thought it was a little strange that when the text came in with his name came up instead of phone number like it would with numbers you have normally saved. Thought maybe it was a 'new gumtree feature' as haven't used the app since they have re done it. Then soon as I replied with an email I got one back within seconds showing as an RE to the subject I have written impossible to have replied so quick, then when it started asking for my details the red flag popped up for me!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions