Expired

Gumtree ad phishing scam

Found 6th Oct 2014
Just a quick warning.
I have a few items for sale on Gumtree.
The other day I got a text saying ' I saw you your ad on gumtree. I tried to call you but couldn't get through, Can you e-mail me on this address..maxfergusons26 at gmail.com.'
As my network has been playing up all week I though it was legit.
So e-mailed back saying please contact me through this emil address.
I got an e-mail that said 'max is interested in buying your ad' and said to click here to see the request. This opened to a page that had the Gumtree logo on it but asked me to fill in DOB and bank details.
It was early morning and I wasn't feeling to sharp but though something wasn't right so I clicked out of it.
Clicked on the link later and a phasing warning came up.
So just a bit phasing scam, quite cleverly disguised as someone who might want to buy your goods.
Just so you know
Keep 'em peeled
cheers
Community Updates
Top comments
dcx_badass

Oh look, the nineties called...

well, excuse me for trying to help people not get scammed.
I'll just scuttle off to my little corner.
ChrisUK

To be fair, if you get scammed by something like this, you don't deserve … To be fair, if you get scammed by something like this, you don't deserve Internet access.....

It's amusing to say it. But when it happens to one of your elderly relatives that were around 30 or 40 years before the internet was, it will be much less so.
47 Comments
I had the same from someone called Wayne. Didn't get to the stage of providing details but didnt think anything odd if it, so thank you for the heads up.
thank u
Gumtree are removing high risk items due to phishing mine was removed earlier
barrel24

Gumtree are removing high risk items due to phishing mine was removed … Gumtree are removing high risk items due to phishing mine was removed earlier

It wasn't what I'd call a high risk item.
It was a guitar for £40.
I think the scammers will just try it on with anyone
cheers
Happened to me too
Sorry your username is too funny hahahaha
had this too, someone sent me a txt, but for some reason i couldn't txt back, there was no phone number.
ancav111

had this too, someone sent me a txt, but for some reason i couldn't txt … had this too, someone sent me a txt, but for some reason i couldn't txt back, there was no phone number.

and the text came through as Max rather than an unknown number as if the name was in my phonebook.
and u fell for this?
Lucifer_UK

and u fell for this?

I was drawn in because a) I had a busy weekend b) my phone network was playing up so I was missing lots of calls and I had something for sale on gumtree.
I got the phishing e-mail but didn't put my details in.
I might be stupid…but I aint that stupid
dcx_badass

Oh look, the nineties called...

well, excuse me for trying to help people not get scammed.
I'll just scuttle off to my little corner.

Fraud: The Thin Blue Line

File on 4

The nature of crime is changing, with much of it now happening online, sparking growing concern that official figures fail to account for potentially millions of fraud offences...

audio - bbc.co.uk/pro…l8p
Edited by: "seb" 13th Oct 2014
WetPussy

well, excuse me for trying to help people not get scammed.I'll just … well, excuse me for trying to help people not get scammed.I'll just scuttle off to my little corner.

DCX is probably just joking, don't worry about it. Thanks for sharing this info OP.
Ignore them ,and they'll go away . Fraud special in todays Daily mail.
Thanks for the heads up.
So.... how did they get my mobile number...

I dont have anything for sale on gumtree. My number is stored on my account from wheh i have sold things but i deleted all my ads weeks ago.
Therefor theyve nicked my mobile number from Gumtree. Which means guntrees security must be crap.
deleted79467
sebs

So.... how did they get my mobile number...I dont have anything for sale … So.... how did they get my mobile number...I dont have anything for sale on gumtree. My number is stored on my account from wheh i have sold things but i deleted all my ads weeks ago.Therefor theyve nicked my mobile number from Gumtree. Which means guntrees security must be crap.

or maybe they harvest you number when your ad was live and have only just got round to using it
There's a lot of bad stuff going on there at the moment.
Someone put a rogue adverts on there under my name ( some car tyres for sale) and this resulted in all my other ads being suspended.
had to talk to someone to get them put back on.
No I make an ad and it doesn't get posted.
I'm just trying to sort it now.
I think they're getting hacked a lot
You have to be really cautious with gumtree, a lot of scams and fake adds advertised.
Also my brother just won a car a few days ago through ebay, he only collected it yesterday, but on Saturday he saw the car he bid for advertised on gumtree and auto trader, they only had the 1 picture of the car and it was a scammer pinching the photo from the sellers list.

Be very cautious, surprising that gumtree is like this to be fair, considering ebay own gumtree (_;)
sebs

Therefor theyve nicked my mobile number from Gumtree. Which means … Therefor theyve nicked my mobile number from Gumtree. Which means guntrees security must be crap.

support.google.com/web…=en
Gumtree is the wild west. Tread with caution and show some common sense.

Use a PAYG sim, not your real number, if someone emails asking for your mobile, or texts asking for your email, then decline/i.e don't reply, it's part of a phishing scam to try and build a profile up on you, e.g they could have a mobile number, email and your name very quickly, go on to facebook, match you up and before you know it fake profiles pop up.
Edited by: "Smeaton1724" 3rd Nov 2014
wetpussy , I got the same text a few week back when I was selling a car, told him to **** off.
billyboy1

wetpussy , I got the same text a few week back when I was selling a car, … wetpussy , I got the same text a few week back when I was selling a car, told him to **** off.

wish i had as well. 2 passwords changed. ads suspended for 24 hours and someone pasting fake ads under my name
happy days
super_leeds_86

Gumtree is the wild west. Tread with caution and show some common sense. … Gumtree is the wild west. Tread with caution and show some common sense. Use a PAYG sim, not your real number, if someone emails asking for your mobile, or texts asking for your email, then decline/i.e don't reply, it's part of a phishing scam to try and build a profile up on you, e.g they could have a mobile number, email and your name very quickly, go on to facebook, match you up and before you know it fake profiles pop up.

good job I'm not on farce book. It's bad enough being me without someone stealing my identity
I realise this is an old thread but wanted to make people aware of an dodgy email from Ron Woosley offering to buy our add on gumtree, it comes up with log in page and URL is karabulut.com! Same as initially posted, we received a text saying they couldn't get through and to email. The lengths people will go to to con people is getting ridiculous!
To be fair, if you get scammed by something like this, you don't deserve Internet access.....
Showed interest in a van on gumtree once and knew instantly from the reply that it was a scammer. Dragged the convo in a for over a week- they were so desp for me to buy it but I was stringing em along saying paypal just signed up for gotta wait for verification, need to gather more £ as some will be bt, then said god knows what else. Anyway ten days later the sammen was still believing that I was intending to buy van off of em and giving all this spiel Abt how he'd held on to for me and was a genuine seller blah blah

-scammer didn't want to meet face to face
-kept insisting he had to travel 400miles away due to ill family member
-was gonna deliver van from said location aftert payment rcvd
-had nicked photos from auto trader
-gave a genuine number which took texts but no calls
I was selling a motorbike a few weeks back and got about 10 of these texts , if the c.... cant afford a phone call they definitely cant a afford my bike .. I call this a stupidity tax.
Happens all the time on Gumtree. You just gotta keep your wits about you really.
ChrisUK

To be fair, if you get scammed by something like this, you don't deserve … To be fair, if you get scammed by something like this, you don't deserve Internet access.....

It's amusing to say it. But when it happens to one of your elderly relatives that were around 30 or 40 years before the internet was, it will be much less so.
moneysavingkitten

It's amusing to say it. But when it happens to one of your elderly … It's amusing to say it. But when it happens to one of your elderly relatives that were around 30 or 40 years before the internet was, it will be much less so.

Definitely.
My old man was scammed by several doorstep scumbags. An old trusting person who never did no one any harm.
Didn't deserve that. and had he been using the internet may well have fallen for many of these common ruses…despite several warnings from his kids
WetPussy

Definitely.My old man was scammed by several doorstep scumbags. An old … Definitely.My old man was scammed by several doorstep scumbags. An old trusting person who never did no one any harm.Didn't deserve that. and had he been using the internet may well have fallen for many of these common ruses…despite several warnings from his kids

The door step scumbags I wish they would cease to exist I wish mine would just stop opening the door, but he won't
Congratulations,

You have a request from Peter Thorell to buy your Gumtree Ad. Click Here to view your request.

Thanks
The Gumtree Team

This email was sent by Gumtree.com Ltd., which may make use of its affiliates to provide the Gumtree services. You are subscribed on gumtree.com. Please visit our Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions if you have any questions. Gumtree.com Limited, registered in England and Wales with number 03934849. 5 New Street Square, London, United Kingdom EC4A 3TW. © Copyright 2000-2015 Gumtree.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Gumtree.com and the Gumtree logo are trademarks of Gumtree.com

Received this phising response, I've taken the hyperlinks off, but when I put my mouse over click here the address that comes up first is.............ipad.davidchristianlaw.com
naff all to do with gumtree and the disclaimer at the bottom of the message has hyperlinks in the wrong places.............fun fun fun
landnurse

Congratulations,You have a request from Peter Thorell to buy your Gumtree … Congratulations,You have a request from Peter Thorell to buy your Gumtree Ad. Click Here to view your request.ThanksThe Gumtree TeamThis email was sent by Gumtree.com Ltd., which may make use of its affiliates to provide the Gumtree services. You are subscribed on http://www.gumtree.com. Please visit our Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions if you have any questions. Gumtree.com Limited, registered in England and Wales with number 03934849. 5 New Street Square, London, United Kingdom EC4A 3TW. © Copyright 2000-2015 Gumtree.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Gumtree.com and the Gumtree logo are trademarks of Gumtree.comReceived this phising response, I've taken the hyperlinks off, but when I put my mouse over click here the address that comes up first is.............http://ipad.davidchristianlaw.com naff all to do with gumtree and the disclaimer at the bottom of the message has hyperlinks in the wrong places.............fun fun fun

Ha!
imdb.com/nam…13/
Fifilewis00@gmail.com - goes by the name of Lewis.
Had the exact same issue, where expressed interest to buy and then had a link to provide details. Gumtree confirmed it was a scammer phishing for details.
another one is fifilewis00@gmail.com
i got the same click bait gumtree email from his email but it said gumtree click details and its his email which shows up
i knew it was a scammer from the start wanted to have some fun with him but guess they got smarter and ant wasting time anymore such a shame
Gumtree is scammers paradise
FSW

Fifilewis00@gmail.com - goes by the name of Lewis. Had the exact same … Fifilewis00@gmail.com - goes by the name of Lewis. Had the exact same issue, where expressed interest to buy and then had a link to provide details. Gumtree confirmed it was a scammer phishing for details.

Just got a message today from that person today asking to email to fifilewis00@gmail.com. It didn't seem quite right. Glad I googled the address and saw this thread.
Won't be wasting time on them!
This is still happening people be aware. And there getting more convincing. I have an iPhone 6 on there and within the space of a week I have been tried to get scammed 3 times. First they text you but from a name not a number saying to contact through email. Then they either send a normal email with a conver station first asking to by then saying they will pay what you ask and then send dodgy PayPal emails saying funds have cleared post now. Or the other email they send is a bogus gumtree log in page to get your details. Don't be fooled and don't click on links please type the gumtree website in yourselfDONT Click links and fill passwords in
Sparky1986

This is still happening people be aware. And there getting more … This is still happening people be aware. And there getting more convincing. I have an iPhone 6 on there and within the space of a week I have been tried to get scammed 3 times. First they text you but from a name not a number saying to contact through email. Then they either send a normal email with a conver station first asking to by then saying they will pay what you ask and then send dodgy PayPal emails saying funds have cleared post now. Or the other email they send is a bogus gumtree log in page to get your details. Don't be fooled and don't click on links please type the gumtree website in yourselfDONT Click links and fill passwords in

Yeah my Mrs just got one from pakerlucas8(at)gmail****com
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants