Gumtree and PayPal

Posted 9th Jan
Hi, im selling something on PayPal, the buyer wants to pay by PayPal using a friend/family payment and collect in person. is this a safe way to go about it?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Gumtree = cash on collection
25 Comments
Gumtree is now full of scams. I wonder why he wants to collect and pay by PayPal gift

He either is going to send you a fake payment email or maybe is a genuine person
Depends on the what the item is, but if he is collecting, definitely insist on cash or walk away. Even PP F&F can be clawed back.
Gumtree = cash on collection
Colleting in person and paying by PayPal? I would say “no”.
It's quite a common scam. You will receive an email which will suggest you have been paid but it's a fake email.
Always look at how the email is addressed to you. If it's dear user etc instead of your name it's a scam.
It could be genuine but would I personally accept this? Absolutely not. F&F is a payment for doing exactly that and sending to friends and family. With gumtree I would always only accept cash if collecting.
adamderak09/01/2020 15:15

It's quite a common scam. You will receive an email which will suggest you …It's quite a common scam. You will receive an email which will suggest you have been paid but it's a fake email.Always look at how the email is addressed to you. If it's dear user etc instead of your name it's a scam.

This is what I'm suspecting.

They'll send you a clone e-mail which says you have been paid. If you do not check your paypal afterwards, you can fall victim to a scam.

These scams usually hope you do not check your Paypal activity and hope you take the word off the email.
Some scams may even have a weblink that redirect you to a clone of Paypal, and if you type in your information the scammer gets the login password.

If they are wanting to collect the item, it is always cash on collection.
Why pay you prior to collecting? It just doesn't make sense, a deposit sure. But to pay the item in full then drive to your house to pick up ring alarm bells.

My suggestion is to tell them it's cash on collection, as you already have other offers, if they do not meet this basic requirement, you'll go else where.
I bought something off Shpock and seller asked I pay via PayPal f+f to avoid fees ... I did ... few days later my item arrived .. The End.
magicjay198609/01/2020 15:19

It could be genuine but would I personally accept this? Absolutely not. …It could be genuine but would I personally accept this? Absolutely not. F&F is a payment for doing exactly that and sending to friends and family. With gumtree I would always only accept cash if collecting.

I sold via gumtree and buyer paid cash on collection £120 - one of the 20's was a fake! I didn't know until I tried to pay the money into my bank account
kos1c09/01/2020 15:35

This is what I'm suspecting. They'll send you a clone e-mail which says …This is what I'm suspecting. They'll send you a clone e-mail which says you have been paid. If you do not check your paypal afterwards, you can fall victim to a scam. These scams usually hope you do not check your Paypal activity and hope you take the word off the email.Some scams may even have a weblink that redirect you to a clone of Paypal, and if you type in your information the scammer gets the login password. If they are wanting to collect the item, it is always cash on collection.Why pay you prior to collecting? It just doesn't make sense, a deposit sure. But to pay the item in full then drive to your house to pick up ring alarm bells. My suggestion is to tell them it's cash on collection, as you already have other offers, if they do not meet this basic requirement, you'll go else where.

I played along once. Contacted PayPal and they confirmed it was a fraudulent email and had not been sent by them.
I played along and got the postal address.
Than rang police.
It was in affect attempted theft.
I had a mobile phone number and an address.
They said have you actually lost anything and did nothing.
adamderak09/01/2020 15:40

I played along once. Contacted PayPal and they confirmed it was a …I played along once. Contacted PayPal and they confirmed it was a fraudulent email and had not been sent by them.I played along and got the postal address.Than rang police. It was in affect attempted theft.I had a mobile phone number and an address.They said have you actually lost anything and did nothing.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink
Bank transfer is the safest option, cash next, nothing else.
Azwipe09/01/2020 16:15

If I was a buyer I would never pay by bank transfer on gumtree - it’s asking to get scammed
Misslovely09/01/2020 14:52

Gumtree is now full of scams. I wonder why he wants to collect and pay by …Gumtree is now full of scams. I wonder why he wants to collect and pay by PayPal giftHe either is going to send you a fake payment email or maybe is a genuine person

I did this when buying a car via ebay, paid part cash and the rest via paypal friends & family as cash was tied up until I sold the current car so put it on a credit card short term and was able to pay for it once the other car was sold so no interest accrued (even managed to sell it for £100 more than I had paid for it from a trader - cheap short term runaround I paid £400 for)
Just take cash on collection and check all notes are real , what's point of PayPal for a collection item.
Azwipe09/01/2020 16:15

Bank transfer can lead to Money laundering.
Tbh it’s a risk any way
Cash on collection = maybe they give fake notes knowingly or sometime unknowingly
PayPal/bank transfer = chargeback/open case

So I guess you have to go with what you feel is best
How else are people ment to shift unwanted goods for sale ?
JumpMan198009/01/2020 15:39

I sold via gumtree and buyer paid cash on collection £120 - one of the …I sold via gumtree and buyer paid cash on collection £120 - one of the 20's was a fake! I didn't know until I tried to pay the money into my bank account

Lucky it was only one...have had someone try to offload £100 worth...another mixed them in the middle and bottom of good notes...
Insist on cash, if they want it and genuine they would comply. Be sure to check notes for the watermark and silver lining, I don't know how you really check the new plastic notes...
abdul509/01/2020 19:25

Tbh it’s a risk any way Cash on collection = maybe they give fake notes k …Tbh it’s a risk any way Cash on collection = maybe they give fake notes knowingly or sometime unknowingly PayPal/bank transfer = chargeback/open case So I guess you have to go with what you feel is best How else are people ment to shift unwanted goods for sale ?

How dare you give common sense? We don't do that here.
abdul509/01/2020 19:25

Tbh it’s a risk any way Cash on collection = maybe they give fake notes k …Tbh it’s a risk any way Cash on collection = maybe they give fake notes knowingly or sometime unknowingly PayPal/bank transfer = chargeback/open case So I guess you have to go with what you feel is best How else are people ment to shift unwanted goods for sale ?

You can't reverse/open a case for a bank transfer without the beneficiary agreeing. It is by far the safest way to accept a payment.
Scam, dont even give them yuor address and wait for a genuine buyer.
Palwan09/01/2020 18:28

Bank transfer can lead to Money laundering.

Why is that? Have you got it the wrong way around?

If the money is transferred from the buyer's bank account then it would be assumed that when the money had originally been banked into that account it had already met that bank's anti money laundering rules/obligations.

If you rather take cash then there is no paper trail of the source of the cash and it is probably more likely (when compared to a bank transfer) to be proceeds of criminal activity.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions