Gumtree item not received, do I make a paypal claim or credit card claim or chargeback?

Found 3rd Apr 2012
Hi all,

I bought an iphone on gumtree which has not turned up.

I have logged a claim with paypal(as I paid by paypal), but is it wise to raise the matter with my credit card company(who I used to fund the paypal transaction) and/or file for a chargeback?

I am thinking if I do the chargeback then Paypal may close my account with them(as it would be like I am going above their head to try and get the money back).

Cheers all,

Steveo.
Community Updates
28 Comments
nout you are screwed.
Was it Paypal or Paypal Gift you paid?
doritos

nout you are screwed.

Cheers.
LoveHearts

Was it Paypal or Paypal Gift you paid?

It was regular Paypal, not gift.
Edited by: "Happysteveo" 3rd Apr 2012
Initiate a regular Paypal claim and do a chargeback if unsuccessful.

P.S. wtf were you thinking?
Thanks LoveHearts and oldmanhouse.

I was thinking about just doing the Paypal claim on its own for the minute, but if the guy has emptied and closed his Paypal account does that mean I won't get the refund because Paypal can't get the money out of him?

And yeah I trusted the guy, big mistake!
Buying an iphone from an unknown on Gumtree and expecting them to send it. Wow.
OP is the reason the net is full of scammers.
Ignore all the comments above OP

What you need to do is go stand in front of a mirror and slap yourself silly for being such a twit
Same principle as buying a phone on eBay?
Happysteveo

Yes, engage brain.
Oh dear

How much did you spend?

Sorry mate but you may have lost the dosh
Happysteveo

It's nothing like ebay as you have no feedback to go on & with you given the scammer easy money he/she will be back on gumtree scamming some old person who never used paypal for protection.
i was going to post first but i was laughing to much, i'm still laughing now X)
silly fool
Yes you should file a claim and if they have emptied their account paypal will reimburse you and just make the scammer's account into a nagative balance. How long has you waited as it could just be late and have you got a tracking number? You should be fine and use this as a learning experience when purchasing good's online especially with sites like gumtree with no feedback.
Gumtree is only good for collecting goods
alanlukeb1

Yes you should file a claim and if they have emptied their account paypal … Yes you should file a claim and if they have emptied their account paypal will reimburse you and just make the scammer's account into a nagative balance. How long has you waited as it could just be late and have you got a tracking number? You should be fine and use this as a learning experience when purchasing good's online especially with sites like gumtree with no feedback.

Isn't that just with buyer protection when buying through ebay or has that changed? I was always under the impression yeah they might put the scammers account into a neg balance but if the cash wasn't there you get nadda when it's just a regular purchase outside ebay.

ants97

Isn't that just with buyer protection when buying through ebay or has … Isn't that just with buyer protection when buying through ebay or has that changed? I was always under the impression yeah they might put the scammers account into a neg balance but if the cash wasn't there you get nadda when it's just a regular purchase outside ebay.

I woulld assume its the same process with the paypal buyer protection althought i think the seller has to be verified though.
Yep op you should be ok to win a paypal claim

Eligibility Requirements

•Claims can only be made for physical goods that can be posted and are not prohibited
•Buyers must raise a dispute within 45 days of a single PayPal payment for the full price of the item. If no satisfactory response is received from the seller, a claim must be filed within 20 days of raising the dispute
•Buyers cannot make multiple claims on the same payment
•Other eligibility requirements apply. See terms and conditions
alanlukeb1

Yep op you should be ok to win a paypal claim Eligibility … Yep op you should be ok to win a paypal claim Eligibility Requirements•Claims can only be made for physical goods that can be posted and are not prohibited•Buyers must raise a dispute within 45 days of a single PayPal payment for the full price of the item. If no satisfactory response is received from the seller, a claim must be filed within 20 days of raising the dispute•Buyers cannot make multiple claims on the same payment•Other eligibility requirements apply. See terms and conditions

Thanks, that's reasuring!
WheresMeNuts

OP is the reason the net is full of scammers.

Glass houses...
Buying a pre-owned phone is moronic enough when they are such an easy scam, doing it on gumtree, please just promise you will never have kids.
Hi I was just wondering was this seller by the name of Riz / ash / jay / Saiedul ? the reason I ask is that I recently purchased a iPhone 4 32gb in white, which never turned up, I paid through a bank transfer and now the seller has stopped making contact, when I finally used a pay phone he answered but denies any knowledge of any of this. Whilst her do I have any way of geting my money back as I transferred the money straight from my bank account to theirs. £300 pounds
Sorry notsohappy

Contact Police - transaction to their account number and not receiving goods
Needn't be said but here I go anyway... Do not trust ANYONE next time!

You should get your money back though.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants