Gumtree PayPal scam

Found 23rd Feb
Hi Guys, sorry I know this isn’t really HUKD stuff but I wanted to make sure all you are aware of this scam that’s going around on gumtree when you’re selling something. I don’t know if it’s new so just ignore me if it isn’t!

“Buyers” have tried it with me 3 times now. They’ll tell you they would like the buy the item but will pay through PayPal and would either send you an email or require you to send an invoice to them.

Once you’ve sent it, they’ll say they’ve “paid” and that the email confirming this is in your junk mail. The email will state that PayPal is withholding funds until you provide the shipping no. This obviously raised red flags with me and then upon searching on The PayPal website, it was indeed a bogus email. They’ll make you send off the item without basically receiving funds for it.

I know for some of you guys this is obvious but I thought I’d just put it out there just in case one of you come across this in the future.

Stay safe peeps.
Community Updates
Really bad advice here OP

1. Only ever send item once you've withdrawn it to your bank account
2. As long as the buyer pays sends payment under "goods and services" and not "friends and family" they have buyers protection up to 180 days (6 months)
3. Always send item recorded delivery

I've used gumtree to both sell and buy and PayPal offers great protect as long as u know how to use it. The ONLY SCAMS I'm aware of is when someone texts you asking u to reply to their email that they include in the text. AND THEYRE WILLING TO OAY 2x the asking price. These are scams, these are Nigerian Princes. If it's too good to be true it normally is. But PayPal will always protect you and unlike eBay. if this does try to happen the buyer will always have to return it before offered a refund. So yes you're safe!
Misc
Top comments
This scam is as old as PayPal itself, usually coupled with an over asking price offer to reel in the greedy suckers. I guarantee people will still fall for it.

Any selling site other than ebay is strictly cash on collection for me.
Cash on collection.
That's the only way to be sure with Gumtree.
16 Comments
Always check the email address of any email! Also paypal would most definately not go into spam/junk. Its a trusted site on most email providers.
This scam is as old as PayPal itself, usually coupled with an over asking price offer to reel in the greedy suckers. I guarantee people will still fall for it.

Any selling site other than ebay is strictly cash on collection for me.
As above, this scam is old, really, at least 15 years old.
You get this on sphock now as well, someone offered me a brand new PS4 pro, with games etc for 150, with guaranteed next day del if I paid by PayPal, yeah right! Some poor sods prob fell for it though..
When you get email from PayPal they always address you by your full name too. And yes checking the email provenance is a must
Cash on collection.
That's the only way to be sure with Gumtree.
I only deal in sexual favours, if they offer cash I just throw the item in the bin.
Edited by: "catbeans" 24th Feb
I pay for things on gumtree via PayPal however my sellers always have the money prior to shipping it. Years ago I was selling something and had a PayPal confirmation saying 99% completion. I had to to post office and fill in a money gram, I remember it as clear as day her email avatar was a women in a wheel chair watching Jeremy Kyle looked so legit. Turned out if I had of gone to post office to fill in money gram I would of been taken for a mug and £400 down... If it to God to be true it normally is. Always make sure the money has cleared in PayPal first and then withdrawn into your bank account. Then it's ok to send
malnuman12 h, 27 m ago

You get this on sphock now as well, someone offered me a brand new …You get this on sphock now as well, someone offered me a brand new PS4 pro, with games etc for 150, with guaranteed next day del if I paid by PayPal, yeah right! Some poor sods prob fell for it though..

You're protected up to 180 days via PayPal though as long as you send the payment as "goods and services" you have buyers protection. Sounds like u missed out on a God deal there
Bestard9 h, 22 m ago

Cash on collection.That's the only way to be sure with Gumtree.

I've sold lots on gumtree. And bought lots as long as you always send payment as"goods and services" you're covered Up to 180 days
machomansavage1 h, 1 m ago

You're protected up to 180 days via PayPal though as long as you send the …You're protected up to 180 days via PayPal though as long as you send the payment as "goods and services" you have buyers protection. Sounds like u missed out on a God deal there

Yeah except scammers that know their a*se from their elbow know not to accept a goods payment and insist on PayPal gift knowing that most people don't know the difference and think they have cover when they don't.

I can spot the scam sellers a mile off, one near me on shpock is "on holiday in Scotland so you can't collect, have to pay with PayPal and have it posted", they are selling a brand new PS4 slim for £95...
Richard_Richard14 m ago

Yeah except scammers that know their a*se from their elbow know not to …Yeah except scammers that know their a*se from their elbow know not to accept a goods payment and insist on PayPal gift knowing that most people don't know the difference and think they have cover when they don't.I can spot the scam sellers a mile off, one near me on shpock is "on holiday in Scotland so you can't collect, have to pay with PayPal and have it posted", they are selling a brand new PS4 slim for £95...

Well then sending a payment as a "gift" is asking for trouble... Like I said earlier it's about learning how to use PayPal.
machomansavage9 h, 11 m ago

I've sold lots on gumtree. And bought lots as long as you always send …I've sold lots on gumtree. And bought lots as long as you always send payment as"goods and services" you're covered Up to 180 days

When you sell on gumtree, do you ask for paypal gift or paypal goods and services? If your advertising something at £10 and accept a goods and services payment you lose some of the money, do people just accept the small loss? Just wondering whats considered the general etiquette.

Do people send items on Gumtree? I can't see anyone offering to post anything, I guess if it's all face to face you might as well accept cash?
Edited by: "Zek" 24th Feb
Zek8 h, 39 m ago

When you sell on gumtree, do you ask for paypal gift or paypal goods and …When you sell on gumtree, do you ask for paypal gift or paypal goods and services? If your advertising something at £10 and accept a goods and services payment you lose some of the money, do people just accept the small loss? Just wondering whats considered the general etiquette.Do people send items on Gumtree? I can't see anyone offering to post anything, I guess if it's all face to face you might as well accept cash?

By always over charging a little by taking into account the fee and how much it'll cost to send, for my own piece of mind, anything over a tenner I always send second class recorded
deleted265520
What is this community update "stickied" post all about?

It's pretty poor advice...

The best advice = do NOT accept anything other than cash if you're selling an item and the buyer is collecting in person.

Both Bank Transfers and PayPal Gift payments CAN be subject to reversals. They are somewhat harder to do than PayPal Goods & Services payment reversals but do happen.

If you are selling something in person you won't have any trackable delivery info (obviously). Without this you won't be able to prove that the item has been sent.

So... Cash is king.
And the simple way to work out if this is a legit payment or not is....

LOG INTO YOUR PAYPAL DIRECTLY (type the web address yourself) and check if its on hold or not yourself.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants