Gumtree - PayPal Vs Bank Transfer

Found 25th Oct 2017
I'm selling a Note 8 on Gumtree and have had 2 sellers both stating they will pay over my listed price of £680, they are offering £750 and will send money first by bank transfer of even PayPal friends and family, now this seems to good to be true but have always been told that PayPal F&F favours the seller as there is no way for the buyer to claim back their money if something goes wrong, so I should be happy but it just seems fishy.
I really want to sell the phone but is there a way for people to get their money back via PayPal Friends and Family or by Bank transfer.?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

Dont do it, whenever you try to sell a high value item on Gumtree you will get that message save yourself the hassle dont do it ask for cash on collection nothing more never send the item or let them collect it then pay via paypal just advise them you want cash or notihng else. If they are using someone elses account and they have stolen the details its a lot harder to say your covered.

Resist and ignore.

I normally have a little fun with the scammers when I've advertised something.

They offer to send money if you can post the item to them, ask where there based, once you find out lo and behold I'm off there on a business, I can drop it off to them, cash on delivery.
Then they've suddenly got a sick overseas relation or something, coincidence! I'm off on holiday there next week, I can deliver, cash on delivery.

Waste there time, if there replying to your responses they've less time to attempt to scam some other poor souls who may just take up there very generous offer....
Edited by: "andynicol" 25th Oct 2017
8 Comments

Dont do it, whenever you try to sell a high value item on Gumtree you will get that message save yourself the hassle dont do it ask for cash on collection nothing more never send the item or let them collect it then pay via paypal just advise them you want cash or notihng else. If they are using someone elses account and they have stolen the details its a lot harder to say your covered.

Cash only when using Gumtree, don't risk it.

They'll just claim it was an unauthorised transaction. They keep the phone and get their money back. Common scam on gumtree.

advertise it again at £750 cash only on collection

Resist and ignore.

I normally have a little fun with the scammers when I've advertised something.

They offer to send money if you can post the item to them, ask where there based, once you find out lo and behold I'm off there on a business, I can drop it off to them, cash on delivery.
Then they've suddenly got a sick overseas relation or something, coincidence! I'm off on holiday there next week, I can deliver, cash on delivery.

Waste there time, if there replying to your responses they've less time to attempt to scam some other poor souls who may just take up there very generous offer....
Edited by: "andynicol" 25th Oct 2017

Always ask for Cash from Gumtree or local Ebay

NEVER USE BANK TRANSFER EVER AS BUYER OR SELLER in private deals. Or paypal friends with people you don't know.

andynicol6 h, 7 m ago

Resist and ignore.I normally have a little fun with the scammers when I've …Resist and ignore.I normally have a little fun with the scammers when I've advertised something.They offer to send money if you can post the item to them, ask where there based, once you find out lo and behold I'm off there on a business, I can drop it off to them, cash on delivery.Then they've suddenly got a sick overseas relation or something, coincidence! I'm off on holiday there next week, I can deliver, cash on delivery.Waste there time, if there replying to your responses they've less time to attempt to scam some other poor souls who may just take up there very generous offer....

I'm definitely going to remember this.
Post a comment
@
    Text