Gumtree sale gone wrong-HELP PLEASE

Found 4th Dec 2017
I sold second hand stuff that the buyer & her partner clearly looked at and took away happily. Today I got a text saying they aren’t happy with the things and want to return them for a full refund. Gumtree is NOT getting involved, so it’s up to me to resolve this. I have already spent the money plus there’s nothing wring with the stuff apart from being second hand. What do I do? Where do I stand???
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
Gumtree is buyer beware . So if they picked up , and presumably inspected the goods , they have no comeback whatsoever .
Edited by: "rogparki" 4th Dec 2017
49 Comments
Gumtree is buyer beware . So if they picked up , and presumably inspected the goods , they have no comeback whatsoever .
Just law of contract
Depends also if you are a private or effectively a trader selling regularly.
Legally you would not have to refund them but whether that will leave you open to a lot of hassle from them only you can decided.
Bottom line, if you said X and it is Y, then you are liable.
splender3 m ago

Depends also if you are a private or effectively a trader selling …Depends also if you are a private or effectively a trader selling regularly.

Would doubt they are a trader if they have "already spent the money " . Seems like someone selling some stuff to get money for Xmas to me .
If you have the money tell them to jog.

Legally speaking; you can tell them to jog.
Edited by: "catbeans" 4th Dec 2017
Just "not happy"? How did you describe the items and what is their grievance? Unless you misrepresented it I'd say it's a matter of how you want to word it when you tell to get lost.
Normally on here the question is the other way round -"I bought something off gumtree , it doesn't work , where do I stand ?" - Same answer -unless you misrepresented the item/s and as they collected them they haven't a leg to stand on .
What was the item and why are they unhappy?
When did they pick it up?

Did they pay cash or Paypal
Original Poster
Paid cash, picked it up yesterday
Original Poster
bluep29 m ago

What was the item and why are they unhappy?

Used toys & a used pushchair
Original Poster
splender46 m ago

Bottom line, if you said X and it is Y, then you are liable.

I didn’t, I clearly stated used, even pointed out scruffed bits etc
Original Poster
splender49 m ago

Depends also if you are a private or effectively a trader selling …Depends also if you are a private or effectively a trader selling regularly.

Private
Are you a private seller?
Did you accurately describe the goods?
Did they have the opportunity to inspect the goods?
Did they inspect the goods before handing over the cash?
Have they only said 'not happy' and failed to make a specific complaint?

If the answer is Yes to all, then its their problem.

You get this kind of cretin on eBay (Gumtree's parent) as well.
Used toys and pushchair is pretty difficult for them to argue they didn’t see the condition before purchase. Unless you feel they are physically nasty people to get on the wrong side of, I’d tell them very politely no returns no refunds. If they look like they’ll be more hassle than it’s worth though...
Tell them you spent the money, you sold the items to pay a debt, you've now paid that and can't get the money back.
They cant do naught so just ignore them. Only your conscience dictates.
tell them they were obviously sold as seen, that you can't accept a return as possibly they have used or damaged them since purchase and that they had the opportunity to inspect before

short would be: "sold as seen"

had a guy buy a laptop off me once, he looked it over, paid and left

3 hours later he said he's on his way back with it, told him he was wasting his time as it was sold as seen

he didn't turn up
sophiejames44 m ago

Paid cash, picked it up yesterday

You’re fine then.

It depends if they look scummy as you don’t want them turning up on your doorstep and doing something dodgy to get their money back.
Original Poster
They seem nasty pieces of work, it was lots of toys described as second hand with scruffs etc., how can they all of a sudden be so bad?! In reality I know I am in the right but the messages I have received tonight sound rather threatening
sophiejames1 h, 6 m ago

They seem nasty pieces of work, it was lots of toys described as second …They seem nasty pieces of work, it was lots of toys described as second hand with scruffs etc., how can they all of a sudden be so bad?! In reality I know I am in the right but the messages I have received tonight sound rather threatening

Just put their number into your reject list. You wont hear from them again
Don’t worry, just calm & didn’t reply them cause they should check items before leaving your doorstep, now they are just creating nonsense
Original Poster
mutley11 h, 8 m ago

Just put their number into your reject list. You wont hear from them …Just put their number into your reject list. You wont hear from them again

Unfortunately they know where I live & have made it clear that I can be assured they will get their money back
Original Poster
sicklysweet2 h, 22 m ago

You’re fine then. It depends if they look scummy as you don’t want them tur …You’re fine then. It depends if they look scummy as you don’t want them turning up on your doorstep and doing something dodgy to get their money back.

That’s exactly the kind of folk they strike me as after tonight’s messages
If the messages you received are threatening then I would speak to the police especially if it involves your safety. But by giving the big threats they do not deserve any refund.
sophiejames55 m ago

Unfortunately they know where I live & have made it clear that I can be …Unfortunately they know where I live & have made it clear that I can be assured they will get their money back

If it's a threat. I would contact the police and inform them that you have done already then do not reply any further.

If you feel the threat isn't strong enough to contact the police. Tell them you have already reported it to the police (a little lie) and see if they continue. If they do, then report it.
Phone the police is sound advice.. they won’t do anything because they are largely powerless but you’ll have reported it, then if anything happens you’ll already be a step ahead! Where abouts are you from?
How much was it?
Always state no refund or exchange
Would you mind sharing what they text you? It's cool if you want to keep it private... just out of interest.
sophiejames10 h, 30 m ago

Unfortunately they know where I live & have made it clear that I can be …Unfortunately they know where I live & have made it clear that I can be assured they will get their money back

personally I would welcome them trying and ask them what time they plan to attempt and fail at this

for you I'd just report to the police if it's got to that stage, most people like that just try to scare people and don't have the ability, intelligence or balls to actually do anything about anything, ever

teach them a life lesson, don't give in as you're in the right and report any threats to the police
Tell them you're not prepared to give them a refund and suggest they put the items back on gumtree and sell the items on
I am sure they knew they were buying second hand goods, but sounds like they have maybe found faults or issue when they got home, sometimes it is harder to notice a fault when just viewing in someone's home, it is not till you get home and practically use the item you discover other issue's,

When I am selling items I want the person buying them to be happy with the items. I myself have been ripped off and know how it feels and can not do that myself to other people. Just the other week I sold a 40" TV for £90 and I made sure she was totally happy with the purchase as you could tell she was worried about buying a faulty TV and losing money, she decided to buy of me as all other sellers put sold as seen. I always tell my buyers any problems then give me a call, basically if the item broke in the first few weeks I would do the descent thing and refund.

Give them there money back and resell. Next time fully demonstrate the items so there is no comeback, if for example it is a pram and the wheels wobble show them this. Only sell items at a value you would be happy to pay yourself. Yes it is Christmas and you may need the money but the other family could probably do without having to go out and buy the items again at this time of year.

It is not about are they the type of people to retaliate, I would actually feel more sorry for them if they were not like that. Do the right thing as they have only had the goods for a few days and clearly are not happy.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 5th Dec 2017
sophiejames13 h, 23 m ago

put their number into your reject list and wait for them to come to your house and demand the money back. if it was me, i wouldn't worry about them coming to my house to ask for the money back as my husband would sort them out

we have had people threatening to come back to our house to have a fight with my husband but they were just empty threats, people who make threats never carry them out, if they intended to do so, they would not threaten first as then there is evidence when they do!
sophiejames21 h, 18 m ago

They seem nasty pieces of work, it was lots of toys described as second …They seem nasty pieces of work, it was lots of toys described as second hand with scruffs etc., how can they all of a sudden be so bad?! In reality I know I am in the right but the messages I have received tonight sound rather threatening

What are they saying they are unhappy with?

What is the total value we are looking at?
sophiejames22 h, 35 m ago

Thank them for their message, inform them it’s sold as seen and ask they cease and desist from contacting you and that any further contact will be deemed as harassment and reported to the police. Also never ever meet people at home when selling things, always do it public or in a workplace.
Original Poster
chocci5th Dec

How much was it?

£100 all in for a big pushchair and tons of toys
Original Poster
SOUTHWALES5th Dec

I am sure they knew they were buying second hand goods, but sounds like …I am sure they knew they were buying second hand goods, but sounds like they have maybe found faults or issue when they got home, sometimes it is harder to notice a fault when just viewing in someone's home, it is not till you get home and practically use the item you discover other issue's, When I am selling items I want the person buying them to be happy with the items. I myself have been ripped off and know how it feels and can not do that myself to other people. Just the other week I sold a 40" TV for £90 and I made sure she was totally happy with the purchase as you could tell she was worried about buying a faulty TV and losing money, she decided to buy of me as all other sellers put sold as seen. I always tell my buyers any problems then give me a call, basically if the item broke in the first few weeks I would do the descent thing and refund.Give them there money back and resell. Next time fully demonstrate the items so there is no comeback, if for example it is a pram and the wheels wobble show them this. Only sell items at a value you would be happy to pay yourself. Yes it is Christmas and you may need the money but the other family could probably do without having to go out and buy the items again at this time of year.It is not about are they the type of people to retaliate, I would actually feel more sorry for them if they were not like that. Do the right thing as they have only had the goods for a few days and clearly are not happy.

Wow, some assumptions you make!
I pointed out the “bad” bits, she wS more than happy with everything, so much so that she wanted to come back the next day and buy more!
She put on a total sob story when returning things and after she left (yes, silly me!) I realised she had taken toys out of the bundles and we had refunded her the full £100.
I kindly asked her to return the missing stuff and she proceeded to threaten me , saying she knows where I live not the other way round etc.

And just to re-iterate I gave this person a hell of a lot of goods for £100, for example the buggy which retails for over £500 I sold for £30 and I pointed out the faults !!!

You go on and feel sorry for them without knowing the full story

Much love
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants