Gumtree scam?

Found 19th Oct 2015
Is this a scam and if so, what is it?

(Sister is selling a couch on Gumtree and buyer wants to pay via Paypal and get a courier to pick it up)

Message from buyer below
Community Updates
16 Comments
Original Poster
http://oi62.tinypic.com/vf88kk.jpg
Banned
Yes scam avoid common on gumtree
looks like the fake paypal email an oldie but still popular

cnk78

Yes scam avoid common on gumtree

+1
Edited by: "Likely2" 19th Oct 2015
I cannot remember when exactly, but there was a great thread on it a few years back. Gumtree is a cash only place, with the added proviso that you do not carry/receive a lot of cash if you are alone etc. I would avoid this, it may be genuine but more likely it is not.
Tell him you only accept bank transfer he will more than likely back out.
Original Poster
Over the years I've read numerous problems regarding Gumtree, never sold there myself.

Passed the warnings over to my sister

Cheers all
jaybizzle

Over the years I've read numerous problems regarding Gumtree, never sold … Over the years I've read numerous problems regarding Gumtree, never sold there myself.Passed the warnings over to my sisterCheers all

We use Gumtree for certain things and if you keep it simple enough it works, collection only, cash and face to face, we also never meet in a neutral place, unless it's low value and really local, met some OK people actually and not as bad as it's made out to be but most online classifieds attrach scammers unfortunately but just some good old common sense and all good.
Tell them you hope they go blind as well, Common scam.
simple answer, tell them to pay via paypal gift and then withdraw money to your account then arrange for courier. It might be legit. Never seems scams on Sofas normally they always target either cars or electrical/electronic sales.

If they pay then fair enough just obviously only part with sofa when you have hard cash equivalent

charleaward81

simple answer, tell them to pay via paypal gift and then withdraw money … simple answer, tell them to pay via paypal gift and then withdraw money to your account then arrange for courier. It might be legit. Never seems scams on Sofas normally they always target either cars or electrical/electronic sales.If they pay then fair enough just obviously only part with sofa when you have hard cash equivalent

Makes no difference, buyer can still do a chargeback if paid by credit card, or claim as an unauthorised transaction. In both cases they will get their money back & you will be left in negative balance on Paypal & minus the sofa!!
charleaward81

simple answer, tell them to pay via paypal gift and then withdraw money … simple answer, tell them to pay via paypal gift and then withdraw money to your account then arrange for courier. It might be legit. Never seems scams on Sofas normally they always target either cars or electrical/electronic sales.If they pay then fair enough just obviously only part with sofa when you have hard cash equivalent

Bad advice.

Even if the payment is made by gift the buyer can arrange for a chargeback to be made and regardless if you have withdrawn the funds from your PayPal account, PayPal will refund the amount and put your account into negative balance.

If you fail to address the negative balance and they believe it is a sufficient amount, they will pass the debt onto debt collectors - who will then be knocking at your door for the money, plus extortionate fees which would have been added onto the debt.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ask for them to pay by bank transfer if they wish for a courier to collect, they will most likely back out.

I am quite certain that this is a scam, I get several each week along the lines of this, however normally for smaller electronic items. It seems a lot of hassle for a couch.

Edited by: "joshp" 19th Oct 2015
shauneco

Tell them you hope they go blind as well, Common scam.

​I agree. However I remember once, couple years ago I was selling on Gumtree electronic drums set and someone contacted me willing to transfer money directly to my account if I'll be able to send via courier. becouse that was business buyer I agreed and both finished happy me with payment he with purchased item.
The scam here is that they will also include the courier money in the paypal payment.

They then have you deposit money to the "couriers" account so it can be picked up.

The courier never comes, the either hijacked paypal account or stolen credit card does a chargeback.

And youre out the money you sent to the courier upfront.
The sob story makes it look like a scam, with it being PayPal you have to be careful of them refunding it
That's the exact email my neighbours son got when selling his car, told him to ignore it, as should you. Scam.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants