Groups

Gumtree Scam

Hi, someone on gumtree wants to buy something from me worth £100. They don't live local and can pay by bank transfer before I post it.

Do I risk anything here?

31 Comments

I wouldn't do it. I sell quite a lot on Gumtree and will never do this just because there is too much to go wrong.

Don't think you risk anything so long as you wait until you've been paid.

Use PayPal AVOID giving your bank details and it shouldn't be a problem.

I believe you're safe if the buyer pays by bank transfer. You only need to give him your account number and sort code

gumtree generally cash in hand however once I've done deal with someone who prepaid via BT and all was fine.

I am not sure but when I was scammed on Gumtree (paid for goods but not recieved). The banks fraud team investigated and said the account I paid into was cleaned out so they couldn't do anything. All they said was to report it to police but I never did. So if you are worried they are trying to scam you I recommend making them pay into an empty account and then transfer it straight into your main account. That way if they try to report you to fraud then the bank won't be able to do anything as there will not be funds in the account.

I have sold items like this before but only upto £20. They could possibly get their money back by contacting their bank, but its a very low chance of this happening. I would call the buyer and have a chat to confirm theyre legit.

pennyfarthing88

Don't think you risk anything so long as you wait until you've been paid. … Don't think you risk anything so long as you wait until you've been paid. Use PayPal AVOID giving your bank details and it shouldn't be a problem.

​with paypal can be tricky as lots of scummers using this method having stolen paypal accounts details. genuine account owner will charge back this transaction and seller losing money and posted items.

Just get them to PayPal gift the money. I wouldn't give anyone my bank details.

Do not do this.. even by paypal it takes 2-3 weeks to get the money back if you get scammed. best cash in hand or do bank transfer in collection.

Original Poster

They text me and told me to email them - I wasn't able to reply to the text as it didn't seem to come from a number, just from 'Dan' when it came through?

superfreddy

They text me and told me to email them - I wasn't able to reply to the … They text me and told me to email them - I wasn't able to reply to the text as it didn't seem to come from a number, just from 'Dan' when it came through?

Sounds like a classic gumtree scam , I would 100% avoid , are they offering to send courier to pick item up?

Original Poster

jimmyandmel

Sounds like a classic gumtree scam , I would 100% avoid , are they … Sounds like a classic gumtree scam , I would 100% avoid , are they offering to send courier to pick item up?

No, sending it via RM

superfreddy

They text me and told me to email them - I wasn't able to reply to the … They text me and told me to email them - I wasn't able to reply to the text as it didn't seem to come from a number, just from 'Dan' when it came through?

I got one of these through Gumtree. They text me telling them to email them and then they had dodgy English. Avoid. Screamed scam to me

superfreddy

No, sending it via RM

I would search for the email address he provided on google to see if comes with any warnings related to it

I've had lots of texts from 'named' numbers on Gumtree asking to be emailed, all scams.
    Edited by: "digitalash" 14th May

why use gumtree if you don't want to sell it

Bank transfer once its in your account can't be reversed - or can it ?

Bank transfer is completely safe.
    Irreversible.
    No risk giving anyone your account number and sort code.
    PayPal = Don't even think about it, unless sent as a payment to friends/family
    Edited by: "robo989" 14th May

I'd avoid giving your bank details. I was in a very similar situation but the sum was £800. I had an old savings account that was empty, and couldn't be used as a direct debit or any form of payment. I gave the buyer those details as there was no risk and it ended up being legit. i know it may not be an option, but it's worth knowing in case it is

Original Poster

It's a scam. I googled his email address. I'd give him my details and then he'd send me a fake Net Bank email telling me to post the item and the funds will be released.

superfreddy

It's a scam. I googled his email address. I'd give him my details and … It's a scam. I googled his email address. I'd give him my details and then he'd send me a fake Net Bank email telling me to post the item and the funds will be released.

​well done

cambargins

well done

Super Freddy fights crime!! Wow, lucky escape, the swines.

Quite possibly a scam. The buyer advertises a non existent item and gives the purchaser of this non existent item your bank details. Money goes into your account and you send off your item to the scammer. The purchaser of the non existent item sold by the scammer then claims back the money from your account through chargeback and you have been worked over

So yours question should be "do I risk anything if I will send the item having confirmation email about money transfer - ONLY" Yes, It is a scam, glad you notice it. Generally in the future if someone offer you deal like this, keep in mind that he is a person taking biggest risk but if you will send the item with i.e. DHL or RM as a tracked parcel and delivery to buyer only (not a neighbor, then you don't risk anything).

Bank transfer is the quickest method of payment although the person could easily attempt a chargeback. If he's willing to pay into your account, send item once payment is cleared, then send item recorded delivery with proof & tracking number & keep screenshots of all contact with the buyer.
    Also ask for full name, address etc & make sure address item is sent to is linked with the address of the account sending the money
    Should be fine

Glad the OP sussed it was a scam, personally I¬d never use Gum tree for anything. But each to their own. People still fall for the scams though. Even when I thought bank transfers were safe i hear about people getting the money reversed.

Once I went along with my mum to view a car which was for sale.. the guy kept us waiting outside saying he had to rush out for a min he'd b back in 2 mins.. kept ringing him kept saying sorry he would b back in abit. Half an hour later we left.. 2 mins after we left he rang me saying where's my car!?! lol We were bewildered as to what happened but so relieved we didn't deal with this guy. Will never buy anything from gumtree..

LeahMinttoutou

Once I went along with my mum to view a car which was for sale.. the guy … Once I went along with my mum to view a car which was for sale.. the guy kept us waiting outside saying he had to rush out for a min he'd b back in 2 mins.. kept ringing him kept saying sorry he would b back in abit. Half an hour later we left.. 2 mins after we left he rang me saying where's my car!?! lol We were bewildered as to what happened but so relieved we didn't deal with this guy. Will never buy anything from gumtree..

Thats a very odd one. What do you think the scammer was trying to get out of it?

Beetplek

Thats a very odd one. What do you think the scammer was trying to get out … Thats a very odd one. What do you think the scammer was trying to get out of it?

I have no idea lol.. I actually think they were intending to rip us off by selling us a crappyor dodgy car and while he was out somebody stole it.. whatever it was it serves him right for leaving us waiting outside while he sat in his mates house. It's a mystery I tell ya!

superfreddy

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Hi, someone on gumtree wants to buy something … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Hi, someone on gumtree wants to buy something from me worth £100. They don't live local and can pay by bank transfer before I post it.Do I risk anything here?\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

Suggest you'll create an ad on eBay and he can pay via PayPal through the eBay listing.

Chances are you'll not hear from him again.

superfreddy

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Hi, someone on gumtree wants to buy something … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Hi, someone on gumtree wants to buy something from me worth £100. They don't live local and can pay by bank transfer before I post it.Do I risk anything here?\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

Avoid Paypal as they can request a chargeback through the bank. Bank transfer is fine but there is a possibility of the claiming that they paid into the wrong account or say they never received the item but this method is very long winded and sometimes not worth the hassle as it happened to me on ebay. I did get my money back after a month butI it was very difficult as ebay would not help me as I purchased the item outside of ebay.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. is it still possible/easy to add the playstore to a new kindle fire 822
      2. Cheapest Place to Buy Half Decent LED Bulbs - Bayonet & Spots65
      3. DPD international?45
      4. Virgin media sign up69

See more discussions