Gumtree scammers

Found 8th Sep 2017
I posted my bike on gum tree today and in an hour I received over a dozen texts all with phone numbers that did not work how do I sort out the scammers from the real interest

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

Unfortunately you can't I avoid gumtree now for that exact reason.

Gumtree ! - the phone numbers normally work - Its just that the payments rarely do .

Talk to all sellers, cash on collection only, first one to part with the cash gets it.

Due to same reason I choose only email option for communication.
Edited by: "shafiq_1419" 8th Sep 2017

Not sure how you are going to get scammed by someone on the phone?
You were going to do cash on collection right?

Scammers, while irritating, are easy to ignore. It's the timewasters that do my head in.

I listed a pushbike for sale a few months back. A guy got in touch, didn't have transport but I was over his way anyway the following day getting my windscreen replaced so agreed to meet him nearby...

I waited a good half hour, messaged him to ask if he was still coming and he said he was "nearly there". Another 15 minutes I chased him up, he said he had a puncture on his existing bike and had to go home.

Then had the cheek to ask if I'd deliver it, for £20 less than the price we'd agreed on!

Bloody chancer!

Agree. There are so many time wasters on gumtree. They are even more prevalent than scammers! I have sold lots of stuff on gumtree though, but they were pretty much at give away prices. You won't be able to sell anything for a decent price on gumtree.

I think a lot of people assume gumtree stuff is nicked and expect it to be priced accordingly. I've only sold stuff too big to post like furniture on there and for not much money. Half the time you end up with about 4 views in a week compared to a dozen in the first hour on the bay. I have also sold a lot more stuff on local facebook pages recently too.
Edited by: "tallpete33" 8th Sep 2017

mutley154 m ago

Agree. There are so many time wasters on gumtree. They are even more …Agree. There are so many time wasters on gumtree. They are even more prevalent than scammers! I have sold lots of stuff on gumtree though, but they were pretty much at give away prices. You won't be able to sell anything for a decent price on gumtree.

I sold a camera that I posted out for more than I would have got on avforums,and a PS4 that was a great price for me so keep trying, although had my motorbike for sale for weeks on there, then sold it on the bay within a day
Edited by: "snoopy18" 8th Sep 2017

I sold a lot on gumtree like phones and lots of them. I use a fake money pen when they give me cash

ashmac50 m ago

I sold a lot on gumtree like phones and lots of them. I use a fake money …I sold a lot on gumtree like phones and lots of them. I use a fake money pen when they give me cash

Find any fakes?

Destard7 h, 37 m ago

Find any fakes?

Know none but I did put in my description all money will be check on payment so scared um off
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions