Gumtree seller has sent invoice to PayPal am I protected paying this way?

LocalFound 7th Jun 2016
I am buying something from Gumtree which the seller is sending.

They have sent me an invoice. Will I have buyer protection if I buy it this way and send the money for the requested invoice? Never purchased through gum tree before so want to be safe.

Any advice appreciated
Thanks
Community Updates
18 Comments
Its better than paying cash
Nope. It's no safer than handing your money to a stranger in the street and hoping they come back with your goods. Cash only on Gumtree.
momartin

Nope. It's no safer than handing your money to a stranger in the street … Nope. It's no safer than handing your money to a stranger in the street and hoping they come back with your goods. Cash only on Gumtree.

​So there is no PayPal protection at all?

​So there is no PayPal protection at all?

If you pay using the goods option rather than Paypal Gift but I highly doubt they'll be willing to do this because it attracts fees and offers you limited buyer protection
NO NO NO NO NO

Cash on collection only, its pretty effing simple.
Daftfool666

NO NO NO NO NOCash on collection only, its pretty effing simple.

​Chill. I was only asking.
please dont send any money,you will never see your item.

NO NO NO NO NOCash on collection only, its pretty effing simple.

This is good advice for a seller, for a buyer Paypal is fine and safer than cash, if you abide by the rules. Namely the main ones are to pay in full, it must be a tangible item and that you must pay using the buy now/pay invoice options for goods or services.

13.4 Conditions for reimbursementYou may be reimbursed under PayPal Buyer … 13.4 Conditions for reimbursementYou may be reimbursed under PayPal Buyer Protection for a problem with a purchase only if all of the following requirements are met:Your purchase is an eligible purchase. Purchases of most goods and services are eligible (including travel tickets, intangible items such as rights of access to digital content and other licences), except for purchases of the following :real estate (including, without limitation, residential property);businesses (including, without limitation, any items or services forming part of a business or corporate acquisition);vehicles (including, without limitation, motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, aircraft and boats);custom made items (unless they are claimed to be Not Received);goods and services prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy;industrial machinery used in manufacturing;items equivalent to cash (including, without limitation, gift cards);goods and services purchased using Zong, Website Payments Pro, Virtual Terminal or Personal Transaction payments; andany wager (whether by way of backing or laying against any outcome or otherwise) and any other opportunity to benefit from a gambling activity.You sent the payment for your purchase from your PayPal Account to the Payment Recipient’s PayPal Account:through the Send Money tab applicable to payments for goods and/or services on the PayPal website or app, or the Payment Recipient's PayPal checkout flow (including, without limitation, the PayPal Location Based Payments Functionality, if used by the Payment Recipient); andin one instalment only. Purchases paid for in multiple instalments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.

Edited by: "windym" 8th Jun 2016

please dont send any money,you will never see your item.

If you send money for goods or services and the points I show above (the item is tangible and you are paying in full) are met, you will be fully covered.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

If you send money for goods or services and the points I show above (the … If you send money for goods or services and the points I show above (the item is tangible and you are paying in full) are met, you will be fully covered. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Called up Paypal to confirm and if you receive an invoice it counts as good/services which is covered if anything went wrong.

If the item turned out to be an empty box etc then it would fall under item not as described and paypal would step in.

Edited by: "adamwilko007" 8th Jun 2016
I've received fake invoices in the past. Usually it's a scam.
get item....pay. dimples.
I would send paypal money upon collection, you can get paypal on your phone, send when at the door, if the buyer wants it before hand then he is scamming

Called up Paypal to confirm and if you receive an invoice it counts as … Called up Paypal to confirm and if you receive an invoice it counts as good/services which is covered if anything went wrong. If the item turned out to be an empty box etc then it would fall under item not as described and paypal would step in.

Seller only has to provide evidence you received something to cover themselves

Seller only has to provide evidence you received something to cover … Seller only has to provide evidence you received something to cover themselves

Not sure i am going to risk this then.

I have used ebay for years without an issue but i can always check the feedback before buying which i like.

Seller only has to provide evidence you received something to cover … Seller only has to provide evidence you received something to cover themselves

I cannot believe how much misinformation is on this thread.

If the seller doesn't send anything, the buyer claims INR (item not received).

If the seller sends an empty box, the buyer claims SNAD (significantly not as described).

There is less risk as a buyer using Paypal than a seller.

I cannot believe how much misinformation is on this thread.If the seller … I cannot believe how much misinformation is on this thread.If the seller doesn't send anything, the buyer claims INR (item not received).If the seller sends an empty box, the buyer claims SNAD (significantly not as described).There is less risk as a buyer using Paypal than a seller.

Exactly this, I may take some flak for this but what a load of terrible information some people are giving!

My advice would be to see the invoice, copy and paste their email address over to a new payment. Then send a payment to them using the goods and services options and write a clear description of the contents in the message part so it is on record for PayPal to see. I always do this and PayPal do take notice of this, I know from experience.

PayPal do offer you protection too so you should be fine. Worse case scenario would be that you have to pay return postage for an item not as described I believe.

I sell on Gumtree all the time and people pay me by cash on collection, PayPal and even bank transfer.

Incorrect information.

PayPal will then ask you to submit an Action Fraud claim and once you given them the reference number they will refund.

How do I know? Someone sent me an empty package only a few weeks ago and it had tracking information saying it had been delivered to me because I had signed for it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants