Guy wants to pay for ebay item via CHAPS transfer. What is it?

10 replies
Found 14th Aug 2009
Hi there, i have a geeza who wants to pay for his item via chaps. will i get charged for this. Ive never heard of it before. Could someone please help

10 Comments

Sloth/Mod

Chaps is just like BACS but immediate.

CHAPS is a same day Payment system which costs the sender around £20-30 but the receiver nothing.

My advice, don't release the goods until payment arrives in your account...

It costs nothing to receive.
What amount is he sending?
CHAPS is expensive, and usually only used for items costing hundreds of pounds.

CHAPS= clearing house automated payment system and as said similiar to BACS

OP for this method of payment you will have to give the payer your bank details to receive the payment. :?

I would think carefully and look at his reputation etc. on eBay :thumbsup:

timber;6015952

OP for this method of payment you will have to give the payer your bank … OP for this method of payment you will have to give the payer your bank details to receive the payment. :?I would think carefully and look at his reputation etc. on eBay :thumbsup:

Don't worry about giving someone your bank details as they're on any cheque you would give out anyway so not exactly secure!! He should only need your sort code and account number anyway which is widely available, as said above, a CHAPS payment is expensive to send so can only be a good thing but make sure it's in your bank account before you send out goods.

The only question I would have though, is why doesn't he just do a bank transfer which is free?

Certain accounts offer chaps payments for free, Barclays Premier as an example.

Maybe the buyer means to send via bank transfer but is immediate (most banks offer this now) like a chaps a transfer but not exactly chaps

Original Poster

just spoken to him, he has transfered £250 via chaps. not appearing in my account, how long should it take

Sloth/Mod

thevman2k3;6017985

just spoken to him, he has transfered £250 via chaps. not appearing in my … just spoken to him, he has transfered £250 via chaps. not appearing in my account, how long should it take

Should be instant.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247662
    2. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!11
    3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48810995
    4. Did you know?3157

See more discussions