Gym Cancellation

Found 27th Dec 2012
Requesting some information

The Gym Group who i was a member since they launched have sent me an email through an administrator to collect payment for december of membership.

However i CANCELLED my membership in late october/early november.

when you cancel in the members area it gives:

We are sorry you have decided to proceed with cancelling your membership with us.

To complete your membership cancellation, please cancel your direct debit with your bank.

Should you wish to re-join The Gym in the future and keep your original PIN number, you may do so in the "Re-activate your original PIN" section on our homepage.

SO when i cancelled i immediately cancelled the direct debit like it advised!

now this administrator is trying to get the gym membership payment + admin fee.

what should i do in this situation?
Community Updates
MiscGym
16 Comments
I wanna quit the gym!
Banned
Sausges
well. your outside the 28 days standard cancellation so id tell them where to go

tell them to go take a look at the poxy online cancellation as it tells you to cancel at the bank
aircanman

I wanna quit the gym!

I wanna quit the bank!
Eat pies as an unhealthy alternative to visiting the gym.
Interesting.. im leaving the Gym soon as I've got a free membership elsewhere... dont think they have a leg to stand on. Kick up a fuss on their fb page.. they are pretty active there.
If the terms state this clearly you should just draw their attention to this. You'd be amazed how many companies don't even know what the terms of the agreement/contracts are. Make sure you tell them you know what you're talking about and that the law is on your side. They'll try anything ... Ever had a contract with Supanet? ...
Phone them & get it sorted out?
Obviously don't pay, if they take it from your bank then claim it back through your banks fraud department and ring trading standards.
Original Poster
yeh im not gonna pay. have contacted them but they stated that for the membership to fully cancel that they require a letter confirming cancellation from my bank to fully cancel the gym membership

also have contacted santander

means i paid £30 for 2 months without even using
Adao

yeh they stated that for the membership to fully cancel that they … yeh they stated that for the membership to fully cancel that they require a letter confirming cancellation from my bank to fully cancel the gym membership

They're trying it on. Tell them to shove it.
They clearly sell their product as "no contract" - so why are they asking you to jump through hoops to cancel ?

Here's what you do:
Send a detailed, factual email to your local Trading Standards Office. CC The Gym Group on the email - if you can get their CEO (John Treharne) email address, all the better - no point in dealing with some knuckle dragging half-witted spud who think's he/she is Gods gift to Customer Service.

For email addresses try this format:
1stname.surname@thegymgroup.com

Add any Directors you think might need to be enlightened from here:
thegymgroup.com/abo…am/

Don't forget to "express your concerns" on their Facebook and Twitter feeds. Keep it factual and non-abusive ;o)

Cause them enough hassle (as they are you) and they'll be glad to be rid of you

Sit back, watch, laugh.
these NO CONTRACT gym places still have cancellations in place HOWEVER you have already done it by cancelling way outside of the 28 days these companies tell you

my gyms the same
When I cancelled with this gym I cancelled on there website via the members log in and then cancelled my direct debit and was sorted
Original Poster
MrMan2011

When I cancelled with this gym I cancelled on there website via the … When I cancelled with this gym I cancelled on there website via the members log in and then cancelled my direct debit and was sorted

gizmouk

They clearly sell their product as "no contract" - so why are they asking … They clearly sell their product as "no contract" - so why are they asking you to jump through hoops to cancel ? Here's what you do:Send a detailed, factual email to your local Trading Standards Office. CC The Gym Group on the email - if you can get their CEO (John Treharne) email address, all the better - no point in dealing with some knuckle dragging half-witted spud who think's he/she is Gods gift to Customer Service. For email addresses try this format:1stname.surname@thegymgroup.comAdd any Directors you think might need to be enlightened from here:http://www.thegymgroup.com/about-us/the-management-team/Don't forget to "express your concerns" on their Facebook and Twitter feeds. Keep it factual and non-abusive ;o)Cause them enough hassle (as they are you) and they'll be glad to be rid of you :DSit back, watch, laugh.

Profit.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions