Gym membership cancellation help?

Posted 18th Mar
hi all

with covid 19 I'm currently self isolating for 14 days

my gym is a rolling monthly membership of £40

which I could do without as my job might be going under too.

they have said we can 'freeze' memberships but only for 30 days and this will cost £5. Why should we have to pay? :/

Also cancelling means you give them 30 days notice then its cancelled, so I'd have to pay £40 in 2 weeks time then another £40 for not being able to use it?

Nightmare...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
read TFM for T&Cs

You think £80 is nightmare, that's chicken feed! That's only enough for a few KFC drumsticks.
You have plenty of rights when it comes to Gyms now days!!!!

In short Gym memberships dont appear on your credit file, Gyms dont do court they lost to many cases, plus dont let the fake debt collection agencies scare you!

Look, here at all the threads, consumers win evertime!

consumeractiongroup.co.uk/for…bs/
Reckon I should just cancel the DD? Never done that before in my life.
splender18/03/2020 18:53

read TFM for T&CsYou think £80 is nightmare, that's chicken feed! That's …read TFM for T&CsYou think £80 is nightmare, that's chicken feed! That's only enough for a few KFC drumsticks.

Oh yeah I know it's chicken feed, but every little helps.
tommydelboy18/03/2020 19:11

Oh yeah I know it's chicken feed, but every little helps.

If every little helps, you wouldn't have signed up like a luxury turkey at a gym.
I walk, and work like a headless chicken.
Edited by: "splender" 18th Mar
splender18/03/2020 19:25

If every little helps, you wouldn't have signed up like a luxury turkey at …If every little helps, you wouldn't have signed up like a luxury turkey at a gym.I walk, and work like a headless chicken.

You what?
£5 is a big deal when you was happy to pay £40 a month?
Risk a bad credit history for £40 would be your choice
snoopy1818/03/2020 19:48

£5 is a big deal when you was happy to pay £40 a month? Risk a bad credit h …£5 is a big deal when you was happy to pay £40 a month? Risk a bad credit history for £40 would be your choice

Fair enough and good points.

£40 is the cheapest you can get around here.. (south east) for reference the David Lloyd is £140 a month
tommydelboy18/03/2020 20:07

Fair enough and good points.£40 is the cheapest you can get around here.. …Fair enough and good points.£40 is the cheapest you can get around here.. (south east) for reference the David Lloyd is £140 a month

Theres quite a few xercise4less around the south east, im sure they charge under £20.
i pay £9.99 in the midlands for a 3 story gym with a boxing ring, mma cage etc 40-140 is just stupid
Mark_Hickman18/03/2020 21:14

Theres quite a few xercise4less around the south east, im sure they … Theres quite a few xercise4less around the south east, im sure they charge under £20. i pay £9.99 in the midlands for a 3 story gym with a boxing ring, mma cage etc 40-140 is just stupid

Mate, you don't get a choice

£9.99 is absolutely ridiculously cheap

Closest xercise4less from me is 20 miles away

Mines a cheap, tiny gym with 1 rack and it's like non profit for the community. Can't get any cheaper lol.
tommydelboy18/03/2020 21:19

Mate, you don't get a choice£9.99 is absolutely ridiculously cheap Closest …Mate, you don't get a choice£9.99 is absolutely ridiculously cheap Closest xercise4less from me is 20 miles away Mines a cheap, tiny gym with 1 rack and it's like non profit for the community. Can't get any cheaper lol.

I know 9.99 is cheap but at £40 it cant be non profit unless they dont have many members.
Its ashame the other gyms are too far for you
Mark_Hickman18/03/2020 22:05

I know 9.99 is cheap but at £40 it cant be non profit unless they dont …I know 9.99 is cheap but at £40 it cant be non profit unless they dont have many members.Its ashame the other gyms are too far for you

I think it's more location mate. They must have high upkeep to be fair. Anyway, I'll freeze it.

Ta
Hopefully you don’t lose your job. The rate at which restaurants, theatres, cinemas, schools etc are closing I guess it’s likely gyms may follow soon. Perhaps hold out until the weekend as your situation may be more favourable and easier to resolve

Good luck and hope your job is safe.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants