Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Habib Bank Zurich

Posted 7th Oct
Anyone come across this bank before? Are they any good? I have opened e-savings account with them and got an email reply pretty much the same day to say that my account is opened. That was 11 days ago but I have not received any correspondence through the post, which I was expecting to do, like a welcome pack.

I am hesitant to put any money into the account as I have not received any paperwork from them. Would like to hear if anyone has come across them before and can comment on whether they are any good.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
3 choices :-
a. ring them
b. email them
c. ask randoms on a shopping site

Wonder which one Mutters chose ?
Yes, the first thing that I would expect when opening an online e-savings account is a big and glossy welcome pack through the post.
Have you checked your spam, Maybe they've emailed you.

On another note, HUKD's should have a spam section.
jamie1507/10/2019 18:16

That's such a stupid comment. Someone could commit identity theft with all …That's such a stupid comment. Someone could commit identity theft with all your details and ID documents and yet you submit those. Then you are hesitant about putting a small amount of money in

Inb4 "it won't be a small amount of money".
59 Comments
Why
1110 and very weak for your standards But trying

To find out more:

1 Customer support is available between 9:00 am – 5:00 pm (BST).

Our online services can save you considerable time because it's always open, are cost-effective and unmatched - with over 120 different online banking services available.

• HBZcms - make secure third party payments at your convenience
  • Log-in management - allowing controlled access to multiple authorised users
  • Push banking service is an event-driven system - receive SMS alerts for the transaction of your choice
  • eStatement - receive your statement of accounts via secure email
  • View and download real-time account history in either Excel™/XML
  • View authenticated SWIFT/FTS (remittance) messages
  • View all your accounts centrally
Edited by: "fearona" 7th Oct
Yes, the first thing that I would expect when opening an online e-savings account is a big and glossy welcome pack through the post.
PR0METHEUS07/10/2019 11:30

Yes, the first thing that I would expect when opening an online e-savings …Yes, the first thing that I would expect when opening an online e-savings account is a big and glossy welcome pack through the post.

🤫 that kind of thinking gets you sent to the gulag
3 choices :-
a. ring them
b. email them
c. ask randoms on a shopping site

Wonder which one Mutters chose ?
Ah
"Your eligible deposits...are protected up to a total of £85,000 by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, the UK's deposit guarantee scheme."
@mutters: Just need to check if your deposit would be eligible, otherwise consider some other form of deposit
Adam78612307/10/2019 11:56

Its a Pakistani bank...https://www.hbl.com/history

Actually they claim no connection between Habib Zurich and Habib Pakistan.
PR0METHEUS07/10/2019 11:30

Yes, the first thing that I would expect when opening an online e-savings …Yes, the first thing that I would expect when opening an online e-savings account is a big and glossy welcome pack through the post.

i have opened many e savings account and i have always received a welcome letter sent in the post with the account details. this is the first time that i have not received any paperwork. it worries me that their customer service is no good if they can't even be bothered to send out a welcome letter to their customer!
Edited by: "mutley1" 7th Oct
AndyRoyd07/10/2019 12:26

"Your eligible deposits...are protected up to a total of £85,000 by …"Your eligible deposits...are protected up to a total of £85,000 by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, the UK's deposit guarantee scheme." @mutters: Just need to check if your deposit would be eligible, otherwise consider some other form of deposit

protection is good but if you get bad customer service then it can be a nightmare to get your money out and going to the ombudsman takes up to 6 months! i have had problems before with capitalone bank where they locked the account and would not release the money so i don't want to end up with another bank like that. the hassle is not worthwhile.
mutley107/10/2019 13:29

protection is good but if you get bad customer service then it can be a …protection is good but if you get bad customer service then it can be a nightmare to get your money out and going to the ombudsman takes up to 6 months! i have had problems before with capitalone bank where they locked the account and would not release the money so i don't want to end up with another bank like that. the hassle is not worthwhile.

The mention of FSCS was to indicate your deposit(s) may be subject to UK protection and for you to optionally inquire, if protection floated your boat. It was not a service recommendation for any paticular organisation.
AndyRoyd07/10/2019 12:26

"Your eligible deposits...are protected up to a total of £85,000 by …"Your eligible deposits...are protected up to a total of £85,000 by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, the UK's deposit guarantee scheme." @mutters: Just need to check if your deposit would be eligible, otherwise consider some other form of deposit

Cryogenic storage could be a valid repository.
mutley107/10/2019 13:28

i have opened many e savings account and i have always received a welcome …i have opened many e savings account and i have always received a welcome letter sent in the post with the account details. this is the first time that i have not received any paperwork. it worries me that their customer service is no good if they can't even be bothered to send out a welcome letter to their customer!

In an environmentally aware age, don’t always expect paper in the post.
Check your spam folder for any comms.
You can’t measure CS by a measure you don’t know they conform to. Anyway, how do you know the postie isn’t late or delayed.
why would you choose this bank over known ones? Only one that accepted you?
MR112307/10/2019 14:19

He's running out of options now. He won't deposit more than the £85k that's protected in any single account. He's already got accounts with all the major ones.
MR112307/10/2019 14:19

they offer very good one year bond rate. but i haven't heard of them before.
Oneday7707/10/2019 14:11

In an environmentally aware age, don’t always expect paper in the post. C …In an environmentally aware age, don’t always expect paper in the post. Check your spam folder for any comms. You can’t measure CS by a measure you don’t know they conform to. Anyway, how do you know the postie isn’t late or delayed.

without the welcome letter, for all i know i could have signed up to a dodgy fake site and now being asked to deposit money into a dodgy bank account! you have to cover all possibilities.
mutley107/10/2019 14:56

without the welcome letter, for all i know i could have signed up to a …without the welcome letter, for all i know i could have signed up to a dodgy fake site and now being asked to deposit money into a dodgy bank account! you have to cover all possibilities.

I refuse to believe that someone can be so far into this process while still having doubts regarding the genuineness of the other party.

The mind boggles.
Oneday7707/10/2019 14:11

In an environmentally aware age, don’t always expect paper in the post. C …In an environmentally aware age, don’t always expect paper in the post. Check your spam folder for any comms. You can’t measure CS by a measure you don’t know they conform to. Anyway, how do you know the postie isn’t late or delayed.

Stop it. We don't want logic here. How many times do i have to teach you this lesson old man?
mutley107/10/2019 14:55

they offer very good one year bond rate. but i haven't heard of them …they offer very good one year bond rate. but i haven't heard of them before.

Can I direct your monies to Spaghetti & Co? Many satirised customers we offer a tasty 8.9% rate and add 1% every time you mention meatballs. You haven’t heard of us but you expect some paper through your door
MadeDixonsCry07/10/2019 16:46

I refuse to believe that someone can be so far into this process … I refuse to believe that someone can be so far into this process while still having doubts regarding the genuineness of the other party.The mind boggles.

now that i have to pass over real cash, i want to make sure they are not a bunch of cowboys especially as they don't seem to be that great since all i got from them is an automated response from their website with my supposedly account details!

i am not going to invest with someone who doesn't even bother to write to their customers and just chuck automated responses from their website. does not bode well for future relationship when things go wrong.

i was hoping to come across some members who have used them before and can say they are fine, no problem whatsoever, but sounds like no one has invested with them so i think i will give a miss and find another bank that is more reliable or has better customer focus.
mutley107/10/2019 17:35

now that i have to pass over real cash, i want to make sure they are not a …now that i have to pass over real cash, i want to make sure they are not a bunch of cowboys especially as they don't seem to be that great since all i got from them is an automated response from their website with my supposedly account details!i am not going to invest with someone who doesn't even bother to write to their customers and just chuck automated responses from their website. does not bode well for future relationship when things go wrong.

But you are happy giving personal details to those that may or may not be a bunch of cowboys?
MadeDixonsCry07/10/2019 17:37

But you are happy giving personal details to those that may or may not be …But you are happy giving personal details to those that may or may not be a bunch of cowboys?

giving someone my personal details is dodgy but giving someone my money is even dodgier. i can live with my personal details being stolen but i can't live with me cash going walkies.
mutley107/10/2019 17:39

giving someone my personal details is dodgy but giving someone my money is …giving someone my personal details is dodgy but giving someone my money is even dodgier. i can live with my personal details being stolen but i can't live with me cash going walkies.

So if you’re giving your personal detail away can we all make use of them? Who needs card details when I got everything else
Have you checked your spam, Maybe they've emailed you.

On another note, HUKD's should have a spam section.

but I can't live with my cash going walkies.

...unlike your kitchen cupboard door
Edited by: "maccy1i" 7th Oct

giving someone my personal details is dodgy but giving someone my money is …giving someone my personal details is dodgy but giving someone my money is even dodgier. i can live with my personal details being stolen but i can't live with me cash going walkies.

That's such a stupid comment. Someone could commit identity theft with all your details and ID documents and yet you submit those. Then you are hesitant about putting a small amount of money in

That's such a stupid comment. Someone could commit identity theft with all …That's such a stupid comment. Someone could commit identity theft with all your details and ID documents and yet you submit those. Then you are hesitant about putting a small amount of money in

Inb4 "it won't be a small amount of money".
mutley107/10/2019 14:56

without the welcome letter, for all i know i could have signed up to a …without the welcome letter, for all i know i could have signed up to a dodgy fake site and now being asked to deposit money into a dodgy bank account! you have to cover all possibilities.

That's nonsense. Anyone could send a fake welcome letter anyway, especially if they want you to send money. Most newer banks don't bother sending anything through the post, fintechs such as Starling/Monzo only send your debit card and that's it. If you don't get a debit card with the account then there is no need to receive pointless paperwork, if you are really that concerned and going to put £85k in then go to one of their branches and ask.

identity theft is dangerous but it doesn't often involve loss of money, just headache sorting it out. there are protection in the UK where the banks will refund you if money is taken by fraudulent activities. giving them my money and they won't give it back is a worst headache than identity theft.
jamie1507/10/2019 18:26

That's nonsense. Anyone could send a fake welcome letter anyway, …That's nonsense. Anyone could send a fake welcome letter anyway, especially if they want you to send money. Most newer banks don't bother sending anything through the post, fintechs such as Starling/Monzo only send your debit card and that's it. If you don't get a debit card with the account then there is no need to receive pointless paperwork, if you are really that concerned and going to put £85k in then go to one of their branches and ask.

true. they could send out letters like anyone else if they are fake. but the lack of communication worries me as it does not give me confidence in the bank if they do everything automated and don't deal with customers on a personal basis.

i googled reviews on them and nothing comes up from customers, only from employees so they must be a very small bank. it says they are a family owned bank.
I thought you worked in 'banking'?
maccy1i07/10/2019 18:12

...unlike your kitchen cupboard door

that i had no control over! this one i do. there's a big difference.
mutley107/10/2019 19:56

You had control over whether you allowed new tenants to move in with half the kitchen missing.
I have naively tried to help you before , which you poo pood - fair enough , and you were impolite in response .

2 things you should bear in mind . As a bank registered in Switzerland (I presume) you will NOT be covered by the UK £85K guarantee .

Also as an Islamic bank (again I presume ) they are not allowed to pay interest. You get ,effectively a share of profits in the form of Bonds .

Once again Mutters that is the facts . Although you post many interesting questions (which I feel somehow compelled to give my best answers ) I have this feeling you are living in a fantasy land ?

Fine by me , takes all sorts - but it doesn't help your "fantasy cruises" much when you are impolite to those who naively try to assist you .

One day you are a penniless wife, the next a property tycoon who needs help fixing a tap (hiring dodgy non plumbers ), the next trying to salt your (pretend ?) fortune away in a Swiss Bank (Islamic at that ) .

Please don't stop - I enjoy your almost daily posts .
Edited by: "rogparki" 7th Oct
deeky07/10/2019 14:52

He's running out of options now. He won't deposit more than the £85k …He's running out of options now. He won't deposit more than the £85k that's protected in any single account. He's already got accounts with all the major ones.

If we are to believe anything that Mutters amuses us with , then Mutters is a "she " - but then again who knows these days . TBH who is really bothered either way .
mutley107/10/2019 19:56

In relation to a previous answer you give in your other thread, I can't imagine it had been done out of malice for being evicted, there's so much more they could have done without removing 1 kitchen cupboard door

...actually, in saying that, it has caused you more distress, one is so much more worse than two as then it would have been much easier to make the decision to replace all the kitchen doors
Edited by: "maccy1i" 7th Oct
According to their website they post that stuff after they've received the cleared funds not before
maccy1i07/10/2019 20:13

In relation to a previous answer you give in your other thread, I can't …In relation to a previous answer you give in your other thread, I can't imagine it had been done out of malice for being evicted, there's so much more they could have done without removing 1 kitchen cupboard door ...actually, in saying that, it has caused you more distress, one is so much more worse than two as then it would have been much easier to make the decision to replace all the kitchen doors

keep to the discussion thread. this is about the bank and not about the cupboard.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants