Hackintosh experience

Found 2nd Mar
Hi guys

basically my wife thinks we should buy iMac, why , don't know, just buy it as they are nice.

I am not an apple fan, do have iPad , which is mostly used by little one.

I have watched few videos of people putting together a hackintosh machine, I have also heard there can be issues getting WiFi and drivers working.

This could allow her to have the UX and me to save money..

any one has any experience or advice for me

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Always do what your wife suggests.
Get a new wife, She sounds too material!. PC ftw.
34 Comments
Original Poster
windym5 m ago

That's a bonus suggestion...fully agree
On a serious note, we are a windowless family and have been for many years. I never got my head around the cost until I worked out how long these machines actually last (and not only last but continue to perform as new).

Buy the Mac, keep the wife happy. Job done.
The trouble you have with a hackintosh is keeping it up to date.

you spend £500-600 on a decent spec pc which could be out of date in a year due to software updates etc. Better off spending the money and doing it properly by buying a real one.

pick a 2nd hand one up for the price of a new PC.
Get a new wife, She sounds too material!. PC ftw.
With the situation your describing I agree with mds1256. I have a Mac mini with a Dell monitor and also have a Win PC sharing the monitor. I can't remember the last time I used the PC
windym1 h, 26 m ago

On a serious note, we are a windowless family and have been for many …On a serious note, we are a windowless family and have been for many years. I never got my head around the cost until I worked out how long these machines actually last (and not only last but continue to perform as new).Buy the Mac, keep the wife happy. Job done.

Same here and with close family (parents, siblings). My sister's 2004 MacBook died in December 2017 and was going strong right until the end. My parents' eMac is also still running.

So I agree, happy wife - happy life.
Edited by: "Resali" 2nd Mar
Hackintosh are a nightmare with WiFi drivers, I had one. If you really do want a Mac then I personally run mine now in VMware, full support of everything don’t have any issues, but you will need a high end laptop/PC to cope with running it.
I wouldn't touch a mac unless you're the kind of person that likes to be told what to do with their purchase. They're very expensive and you're either faced with a BGA GPU, Apple Whitelisted GPU which is sold at a premium or an eGPU. I would go the hackintosh way as it's easy enough to do and you have the added advantage of making an easy to upgrade device.

I built my last one out of a GA-Z77n-wifi with a G2020 processor. Started off with snow leopard and upgraded to Lion without too many issues.
Check out hackintosh.com/
Original Poster
Hmmm I see there are people who would do one or other and have strong views... You know guys this not much helpful 😁😁😁😁
kester7613 m ago

I wouldn't touch a mac unless you're the kind of person that likes to be …I wouldn't touch a mac unless you're the kind of person that likes to be told what to do with their purchase. They're very expensive and you're either faced with a BGA GPU, Apple Whitelisted GPU which is sold at a premium or an eGPU. I would go the hackintosh way as it's easy enough to do and you have the added advantage of making an easy to upgrade device.I built my last one out of a GA-Z77n-wifi with a G2020 processor. Started off with snow leopard and upgraded to Lion without too many issues. Check out https://hackintosh.com/#hackintosh_compatible

I agree the specs are not at the bleeding edge, however I have a 2016 MacBook Pro Touch bar and it’s great. No slowdown after 3 months of windows updates (still runs as quick as the day I got it).

I work in IT and it doesn’t everything I need it to with no problem, graphics, 4K movie editing, coding etc.

i haven’t had to move to my PC for anything in the past 8 years (been running a Mac personally since 2009).

they are expensive and the bang for the buck isn’t there but they are really well built and will more than likely last you 5 years plus without much hassle
mds125624 m ago

I agree the specs are not at the bleeding edge, however I have a 2016 …I agree the specs are not at the bleeding edge, however I have a 2016 MacBook Pro Touch bar and it’s great. No slowdown after 3 months of windows updates (still runs as quick as the day I got it).I work in IT and it doesn’t everything I need it to with no problem, graphics, 4K movie editing, coding etc.i haven’t had to move to my PC for anything in the past 8 years (been running a Mac personally since 2009).they are expensive and the bang for the buck isn’t there but they are really well built and will more than likely last you 5 years plus without much hassle

Windows 10 doesn't really need a high spec system, I managed to get it to run on my old Atom n270 nettop until cortana put the final nail in the coffin. As for build quality most high end branded products tend to last as the QA on them is better but that is more down to a higher budget system. The main difference between PCs and MACs are that the MAC environment is very closed platform and you really need to use their own equipment and software so you don't come across that many issues. I've never been comfortable with Apple telling me how I can do a specific task, itunes is an unoptimised nightmare in windows but runs fine under MAC operating system like they're actively punishing you for using another OS.

The main system I'm still using at the moment is 7 years old and still running ok except for issues with IPC when emulating and can handle most things abeit not as fan as an new system. I fired up my Mums PC and found that icloud was using 50%+ of the CPU activity on boot and still don't understand why it needed so much.
kester7640 m ago

I wouldn't touch a mac unless you're the kind of person that likes to be …I wouldn't touch a mac unless you're the kind of person that likes to be told what to do with their purchase.

I do what I want with my purchase of my Mac. In fact for my needs I don't believe it could be replicated on a Windows machine.

Noodlesoft Hazel with Fujistu Scansnap IX500 and following 'this paperless heaven' tweaked further (replaced highlighter with coloured printed labels) is just fantastic
Edited by: "OllieSt" 2nd Mar
Sounds like she likes the all in one iMac look, so you aren't really going to make her happy if you use a hackintosh plus you'll have hassle at every update.

Tbh my other half has some interest in computers so isn't interested in Mac but if she was I'd just tell her no unless she gave me a good reason to get a mac.
OllieSt24 m ago

I do what I want with my purchase of my Mac. In fact for my needs I don't …I do what I want with my purchase of my Mac. In fact for my needs I don't believe it could be replicated on a Windows machine.Noodlesoft Hazel with Fujistu Scansnap IX500 and following 'this paperless heaven' tweaked further (replaced highlighter with coloured printed labels) is just fantastic

There's no such thing as a windows machine, they're just PCs and they have been since Apple dumped IBMs PowerPC for Intel.
kester761 m ago

There's no such thing as a windows machine, they're just PCs and they have …There's no such thing as a windows machine, they're just PCs and they have been since Apple dumped IBMs PowerPC for Intel.

Ok, but you knew what I meant.
Original Poster
CoeK23 m ago

Sounds like she likes the all in one iMac look, so you aren't really going …Sounds like she likes the all in one iMac look, so you aren't really going to make her happy if you use a hackintosh plus you'll have hassle at every update. Tbh my other half has some interest in computers so isn't interested in Mac but if she was I'd just tell her no unless she gave me a good reason to get a mac.

That's correct..

The main reason for purchase is for our little boy..and he is only 5 she wants best for him.. which I agree with... But she does not know what best is... Beyond the fact that it's Apple so it's got to be good and it looks good as well.. which is a bonus..
rambobambo9 m ago

That's correct..The main reason for purchase is for our little boy..and he …That's correct..The main reason for purchase is for our little boy..and he is only 5 she wants best for him.. which I agree with... But she does not know what best is... Beyond the fact that it's Apple so it's got to be good and it looks good as well.. which is a bonus..

Well I used Mac when I was at school, I assume because they done great education discounts in the old days. Never used one in a single job so it seemed like time wasted learning a system I was never going to really use.
I returned my iMac and went the hackintosh route as it’s so much quicker than the same price iMac plus I can choose on booting whether it’s a Mac or a PC.

You can easily beat the benchmarks of an iMac pro for half the price and it’s fully upgradable.

iMessage, handoff etc all works 100%.
Original Poster
mastablasta2 h, 15 m ago

I returned my iMac and went the hackintosh route as it’s so much quicker t …I returned my iMac and went the hackintosh route as it’s so much quicker than the same price iMac plus I can choose on booting whether it’s a Mac or a PC. You can easily beat the benchmarks of an iMac pro for half the price and it’s fully upgradable. iMessage, handoff etc all works 100%.

Can you please share your build and signpost to website .. thanks
mastablasta10 h, 51 m ago

plus I can choose on booting whether it’s a Mac or a PC.

You can do this on Macs aswell?
They have inbuilt bootcamp software which means that you can partition the hard drive and install a genuine copy of windows on the 2nd partition and launch whichever OS you wish. You dont need to worry about driver incompatibility etc as its natively built into MacOS.
I use a Macbook Pro at home and windows based Laptop for work. My personal opinion is the Macbook is a lot better (similar specs). I did use Windows on the macbook at 1st but now solely use OSx.

However saying that i woudlnt buy a Mac or high end PC for a 5 year old, personally i would leave it for several years until they need it for homework i.e secondary school, and then buy whats best the. Whatever you buy now will be out of date and starting to slow down in 6+ years be it Mac or PC.
I purchased an imac in 2010 and it is one of my best purchase decisions.
Cheap Dell Optiplex 790 from eBay..add in a low profile Nvidia GPU and you have a fully Hackintosh capable machine. for £100-£150
33369255-RIgok.jpgI'm using a 2011 iMac and its great. Hasn't had any issues with it.

Had a MacBook pro where I swapped the internal HD for an SSD and that was blazingly fast. The 2011 model is good too ... does what I need it to ...

In terms of longevity I think Macs are good. If using for Office (excel, Word etc) they are good. Internet browing. Odd MP3 conversion and watching movies on them are good.

Would love an imac 5k you can pick them up near new for about £1200 ,,, yes expensive but the user experience is very nice on a mac. Not had any issues with viruses or anything like that. I'd get one with minimum 8GB ram ... 16GB better if doing some type of image processing or video rendering.

Also you can get the same software, if not similar ones on macs now compared to a few years ago. You can SSH into things and do pretty much anything a PC can do. Also you can use parralells desktop to download a copy of Windows and run windows on a mac if you really need to.

Overall I have both Imac and PC but I use the imac a lot more. Windows 10 is pretty much a copy of OSX
Edited by: "krazyasif786" 3rd Mar
33369338-sFY1O.jpg
Unless she needs an imac for a specific reason other than for how cool they look, get a windows desktop or laptop. If she's insistent on apple still, get her a second hand one.
Original Poster
Uridium3 h, 21 m ago

Cheap Dell Optiplex 790 from eBay..add in a low profile Nvidia GPU and you …Cheap Dell Optiplex 790 from eBay..add in a low profile Nvidia GPU and you have a fully Hackintosh capable machine. for £100-£150

Can you please share some links on how to do this and what GPU to buy... Have not built a PC for nearly 20 years now... Getting old,😁😁
Original Poster
krazyasif78640 m ago

[Image] I'm using a 2011 iMac and its great. Hasn't had any issues with …[Image] I'm using a 2011 iMac and its great. Hasn't had any issues with it. Had a MacBook pro where I swapped the internal HD for an SSD and that was blazingly fast. The 2011 model is good too ... does what I need it to ...In terms of longevity I think Macs are good. If using for Office (excel, Word etc) they are good. Internet browing. Odd MP3 conversion and watching movies on them are good. Would love an imac 5k you can pick them up near new for about £1200 ,,, yes expensive but the user experience is very nice on a mac. Not had any issues with viruses or anything like that. I'd get one with minimum 8GB ram ... 16GB better if doing some type of image processing or video rendering.Also you can get the same software, if not similar ones on macs now compared to a few years ago. You can SSH into things and do pretty much anything a PC can do. Also you can use parralells desktop to download a copy of Windows and run windows on a mac if you really need to.Overall I have both Imac and PC but I use the imac a lot more. Windows 10 is pretty much a copy of OSX

Can you signpost to any links where one could buy near New for that price...

Thanks
Google is your friend
We've done away with windows altogether, mind you the leccy bill has gone up as we have to have the lights on all the time now.
rambobambo3 h, 11 m ago

Can you please share some links on how to do this and what GPU to buy... …Can you please share some links on how to do this and what GPU to buy... Have not built a PC for nearly 20 years now... Getting old,😁😁

tonymacx86.com/thr…74/

Im using a gt710 GPU

I'd also advise using an SSD over a normal HDD. Performance in MacOS is way better.
Original Poster
rover.ebay.com/rov…328

Guys can you please advise if such kind of PC could be suitable for hackintosh. Thanks
Original Poster
Bump
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions