Had a choice of several PCs and chose this one, do you agree with my choice ?

Found 8th Jan
Ok bought a 2nd hand PC off ebay for my in laws. It's only going to be used for emails and web browsing so I just decided to get a 2nd hand small factor PC as these are dirt cheap and nasty so people tend to ignore them.

The PCs I looked at were

HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF i5-6500 4GB ram + 500GB HDD windows 10 @ £275

HP 280 G2 MT i5-6500 8GB ram + 1TB HDD windows 10 @ 299

Lenovo ThinkCentre E73 i7 4770s 8GB ram 2TB HDD windows 10 @ £250

Fujitsu Celsius W530 i7-4770 8GB ram 1TB HDD windows 10 @ £299

I decided on the Lenovo E73 as it has an i7, 8GB of ram and a 2TB. Also I could find a power adapter so I could replace the PSU with a standard ATX once it failed.

Curious about what other people would of gone for with a £300 budget.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

does it include monitor?
a cheap laptop would be better in my opinion for simple tasks. at least you can move it about and doesnt take so much room

Original Poster

mattsk14 m ago

does it include monitor?a cheap laptop would be better in my opinion for …does it include monitor?a cheap laptop would be better in my opinion for simple tasks. at least you can move it about and doesnt take so much room

No, they already had everything else from previous system so just needed the base unit. I just went for something fast enough that in 8 years time it will still browse the internet and do other basic tasks.

I'd have gone for a Mini PC with an SSD and the newest processor I could find. That'll give the best experience with minimal space use and maximum responsiveness.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves11 m ago

I'd have gone for a Mini PC with an SSD and the newest processor I could …I'd have gone for a Mini PC with an SSD and the newest processor I could find. That'll give the best experience with minimal space use and maximum responsiveness.

I thought about that for better support but there's only a generation difference between them and GPU wise they're not bothered. I thought about buying an SSD later on. Main point about the i7 4770 I hope is that it's faster in both single and multicore operations. Did wonder if I made the right choice though as it's very close.

I'd go for a newer processor for the technology support. For example when HEVC/VP9 becomes the default choice of video codec in a few years time the latest processors will use much less CPU than the older ones, meaning they fans run more quietly.

And the PC as a whole is more likely to support newer outputs such as HDMI 2.0 so they can buy a HiDPI monitor in a few years when the current one fails rather than having to specifically look for older panels. Or ac wi-fi for better connectivity.

Desktop processors are all so very powerful then it simply wouldn't be a major factor in my decision for web browsing and e-mails.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves23 m ago

I'd go for a newer processor for the technology support. For example when …I'd go for a newer processor for the technology support. For example when HEVC/VP9 becomes the default choice of video codec in a few years time the latest processors will use much less CPU than the older ones, meaning they fans run more quietly.And the PC as a whole is more likely to support newer outputs such as HDMI 2.0 so they can buy a HiDPI monitor in a few years when the current one fails rather than having to specifically look for older panels. Or ac wi-fi for better connectivity. Desktop processors are all so very powerful then it simply wouldn't be a major factor in my decision for web browsing and e-mails.

Thought about the video decoding aspect but I can't see youtube and other streaming companies dropping legacy codecs such as AVC any time soon and upgrading to a cheap video card that supports those settings will be easier in the future. Processing power is mostly what I'm concerned about as it takes the biggest hit when web browsing. I also don't think the memory DDR3 vs DDR4 should make a massive difference in the future unless I'm missing something ?

I might be working on an old framework mind set as the i7 2600 is still a pretty good but will this trend last ?

4770s is a low power option and only uses as much power as the i5, but has more grunt, so thta's the one to go for. I would say all of the cpus are complete overkill for that senario by a large margin, a SSD would have made a much bigger difference. i3 4th gen and up plus 128+GB SSD will feel faster than an i7 4770 and mechanical drive.

Original Poster

MIDURIX1 h, 7 m ago

4770s is a low power option and only uses as much power as the i5, but has …4770s is a low power option and only uses as much power as the i5, but has more grunt, so thta's the one to go for. I would say all of the cpus are complete overkill for that senario by a large margin, a SSD would have made a much bigger difference. i3 4th gen and up plus 128+GB SSD will feel faster than an i7 4770 and mechanical drive.

I agree with SSD as it will make the OS a lot snappier, I'll probably be holding out for a Crucial refurb to keep costs down. They're are currently running a AMD K6 or K7 I think so anything will seem blisteringly fast. Another reason for the Lenovo was that I don't trust these weird PSU formats and I know I can grab an ATX PSU ( 24pin - 14pin ) adapter for the motherboard if I ever need to recase it with a new PSU.

kester7637 m ago

I agree with SSD as it will make the OS a lot snappier, I'll probably be …I agree with SSD as it will make the OS a lot snappier, I'll probably be holding out for a Crucial refurb to keep costs down. They're are currently running a AMD K6 or K7 I think so anything will seem blisteringly fast. Another reason for the Lenovo was that I don't trust these weird PSU formats and I know I can grab an ATX PSU ( 24pin - 14pin ) adapter for the motherboard if I ever need to recase it with a new PSU.

Although as soon as the computer has booted and Chrome or whatever has opened you're not going to be experiencing much of a gain by having an SSD.

Original Poster

MIDURIX31 m ago

Although as soon as the computer has booted and Chrome or whatever has …Although as soon as the computer has booted and Chrome or whatever has opened you're not going to be experiencing much of a gain by having an SSD.

Not so sure, some browsers I've used recently have been using 500MB+ per instance, might have to use that virtual memory up
Post a comment
@
    Text